2 .6 . 我 的 語言 探索 歷程 : 語言 與 國際 商務
2.6. My Language Exploration Journey: Language and International Business
你 不 可能 踏入 相同 的 河流 兩次 , 因為 新 的 流水 不斷 地 湧 向 你 。
You cannot step into the same river twice, for new waters are always flowing in.
--- - 赫拉克里特斯 , 公元前 六 世紀
---- Heraclitus, 6th century BC
======
======
1987 年 6 月 , 我 開 了 一家 木材 出口 公司 。
In June 1987, I started a timber export company.
有 六個月 的 時間 , 我 和 妻子 在 家裡 的 地下室 ,
For six months, my wife and I worked in the basement of our home,
只 用 一 臺 傳真機 與 一 臺 電話 工作 。
using only a fax machine and a telephone.
我 在 加拿大 西部 開 了 好 幾千公里 的 車 ,
I|in|Canada|the west|drove|past tense marker|quite|several thousand kilometers|possessive particle|car
I drove several thousand kilometers in western Canada,
也 搭乘 飛機 飛過 好 幾萬 公里 往返 於 日本 和 歐洲 。
also|take|airplane|flew|very|tens of thousands|kilometers|round trip|in|Japan|and|Europe
and also flew tens of thousands of kilometers back and forth between Japan and Europe.
十五年 之後 , 我們 在 溫哥華 、 加拿大 內地 、 瑞典 和 日本 都 設 了 辦公室 ,
Fifteen years later, we have set up offices in Vancouver, inland Canada, Sweden, and Japan,
是 一家 發展 穩健 的 國際貿易 公司 。
is|a|development|stable|possessive particle|international trade|company
It is a well-developed international trade company.
若 不是 我 通曉 多 國 語言 , 實在 很 難 獲得 這樣 的 成 果 。
If it weren't for my proficiency in multiple languages, it would be very difficult to achieve such results.
我 得 承認 , 商業 上 的 成功 並非 全 靠 語言 能力 。
I must admit that success in business is not solely dependent on language skills.
無數 傑出 的 商人 只 說 母語 , 一樣 能 通行無阻 ,
Countless outstanding businessmen only speak their native language and can still navigate without obstacles,
尤其 這個 母語 是 英語 的 話 。
especially if that native language is English.
然而 , 通曉 多 國 語言 在 許多 方面 都 會 有 幫助 ,
However, being proficient in multiple languages can be helpful in many ways,
至少 對 我 而言 是 如此 。
at least|to|I|in terms of|is|so
at least for me.
=== 機會 ===
=== Opportunities ===
在 我們 的 生命 當中 , 到處 充滿 機會 。
In our lives, opportunities are everywhere.
只要 積極 汲取 知識 , 就 能 發現 這些 機會 , 並 加以 運用 。
As long as we actively absorb knowledge, we can discover these opportunities and make use of them.
以 我 的 情形 , 就 是 因為 我 有 學習 語言 的 意願 而 造就 了 許多 機會 。
In my case, it is because I have the willingness to learn languages that many opportunities have been created.
其實 , 是 從 搬 到 日本 , 並且 開始 學習 日語 之後 ,
In fact, it was after moving to Japan and starting to learn Japanese,
我 的 生命 才 有 了 重大 的 改變 。
I|possessive particle|life|only then|had|past tense marker|significant|adjectival particle|change
that my life underwent significant changes.
因為 會 講 日 語 , 我 在 日本 的 商業 圈 內 能夠 建立 起 良好 的 人際關係 ,
Because I can speak Japanese, I am able to establish good relationships in the business circles in Japan,
也 因此 被 兩家 加拿大 的 主要 木材 出口 公司 先後 聘用 ,
also|therefore|by|two|Canadian|possessive particle|major|timber|export|companies|one after another|hired
and as a result, I was subsequently hired by two major Canadian lumber export companies.
那 就 是 「 西柏 木材 銷售 公司 」 ( 1974 – 1977 ) ( 柏 )
That is the "Cypress Wood Sales Company" (1974 – 1977) (Cypress)
和 「 麥克米蘭 布羅代 公司 」 ( 1981 –1982 ) ,
and the "Macmillan Brodie Company" (1981 – 1982),
負責 他們 亞洲 市場 的 業務 。
responsible for|they|Asia|market|possessive particle|business
responsible for their business in the Asian market.
這 最後 導致 我 成立 自己 的 公司 ,
this|finally|led to|I|established|my own|possessive particle|company
This ultimately led me to establish my own company,
並 因此 達到 某 種 程度 上 的 財務 自主 。
and|therefore|achieve|certain|kind|level|in|possessive particle|financial|independence
and thus achieve a certain degree of financial independence.
我 不 知道 自己 若是 到 了 北京 , 我 的 發展 會 如何 。
I don't know how my development would be if I arrived in Beijing.
毫無疑問 的 , 我 的 普通話 會 講 得 更 流利 。
There is no doubt that my Mandarin would be spoken more fluently.
我 也 可能 還 留 在 外交部 或 學術界 , 或 有 其它 可能 出現 的 機會 。
I might also stay in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or academia, or there could be other opportunities that arise.
但是 , 對 我 而言 , 致力於 語言 就 像 擁有 一 張 網 ,
However, for me, dedicating myself to language is like having a net,
讓 我 能 捕捉 住 那 可能 一 閃 而 逝 的 機會 。
allowing me to catch those fleeting opportunities.
像 在 一九八一 年 , 當時 我 是 東京 「麥克米蘭 布羅代爾 亞洲 有限公司 」 的 總裁 ,
In 1981, I was the president of the Tokyo 'Macmillan Broderick Asia Limited.'
有次 因 商務 回到 溫哥華 ,
one time|due to|business|returned to|Vancouver
Once, I returned to Vancouver for business.
剛好 來自 法國 的 一 位 重要 客戶 伯納 ̇紀裡米提 先生 也 在 溫哥華 。
Coincidentally, an important client from France, Mr. Bernard Guérin, was also in Vancouver.
雖然 我 是 負責 遠東 的 業務 ,
although|I|am|responsible for|Far East|possessive particle|business
Although I was responsible for the Far East business,
但 我 是 麥克米蘭 當時 唯一 有空 、 而且 會 講 法語 的 銷售 人員 ,
I was the only salesperson at Macmillan who was available and could speak French.
結果 就 由 我 陪同 紀裡 米 提 先生 , 花 了 一整天 參觀 我們 的 鋸 木 場 。
As a result, I accompanied Mr. Jimiti and spent an entire day visiting our sawmill.
自此 之後 , 我們 建立 了 長期 的 友誼 。
Since then, we have established a long-term friendship.
好幾年 之後 , 紀裡米提 公司 變成 我 自己 公司 在 歐洲 最好 的 客戶 ,
Several years later, Jimiti Company became the best client of my own company in Europe,
至今 仍 是 如此 。
until now|still|is|like this
and it still is to this day.
此外 , 我 於 一九九二年 十月 ,
In addition, in October 1992,
參加 了 在 巴黎 舉行 的 紀裡 米 提 先生 六十五歲 生日 宴會 ,
Attended the 65th birthday party of Mr. Kiri Mitty held in Paris,
是 在 塞納河 上 一 艘 緩緩 而 行 的 船 上 所 舉行 的 一個 豪華 晚宴 。
which was a luxurious dinner held on a slowly moving boat on the Seine River.
晚宴 上 , 我 遇見 另 一 位 賓客 ,
At the dinner, I met another guest,
是 瑞典 維達 木材 公司 ( VidaTimber ) 的 總裁 克里斯特 ̇約翰森 先生 ,
Mr. Christer Johansson, the president of Vida Timber from Sweden,
我們 的 友誼 也 維持 至今 。
we|possessive particle|friendship|also|maintained|until now
and our friendship has continued to this day.
在 認識 約翰森 先生 的 四個 月 之內 ,
within|getting to know|Mr Johnson|Mr|possessive particle|four|months|within
Within four months of meeting Mr. Johnson,
由於 國際 貨幣 的 浮動 , 使得 歐洲 的 木材 在 日本 具有 競爭力 。
the fluctuations in international currency have made European timber competitive in Japan.
透過 與 維達 的 合 作 , 我們 是 最先 從 瑞典 出口 木材 到 日本 的 公司 之一 。
Through our collaboration with Vida, we were one of the first companies to export timber from Sweden to Japan.
維達 持續 的 成長 , 已 成為 瑞典 最大 的 木材 製造商 之一 ,
Vida's continuous growth has made it one of the largest timber manufacturers in Sweden,
也 是 我們 從 歐洲 出口 木材 到 日本 的 主要 供貨商 。
also|is|we|from|Europe|export|timber|to|Japan|possessive particle|main|supplier
and it is also our main supplier of timber exported from Europe to Japan.
這些 關係 雖 是 基於 機緣 ,
these|relationships|although|are|based on|chance
These relationships, although based on chance,
但 若 是 沒有 我 對 法語 、 瑞典 語 、 甚至 日語 的 瞭解 , 是 無法 建立 起來 的 。
could not have been established without my understanding of French, Swedish, and even Japanese.
公司 剛 成立 的 時候 ,
company|just|established|past tense marker|when
When the company was just established,
我 的 想法 是 要 出口 針對 日本 房屋 建築業 所 需要 的 特別 尺寸 的 木材 ,
I|possessive particle|idea|is|want|export|targeting|Japan|housing|construction industry|particle indicating a specific thing|needs|possessive particle|special|size|possessive particle|timber
my idea was to export specially sized timber needed for the Japanese housing construction industry,
而 不 是 其它 加拿大 公司 所 生產 的 標準 尺寸 的 木材 。
but|not|is|other|Canadian|companies|(particle indicating action by a subject)|produced|(possessive particle)|standard|size|(possessive particle)|lumber
rather than the standard sized timber produced by other Canadian companies.
我 的 想法 或許 並非 特別 高明 , 但是 在 當時 卻 是 有些 道理 。
My thoughts may not be particularly brilliant, but at that time, they made some sense.
由於 我 和 日本 木材業 人士 交情 密切 ,
due to|I|and|Japan|timber industry|people|friendship|close
Because I had close ties with people in the Japanese timber industry,
因此 對 市場 的 趨勢 相當 熟悉 ,
therefore|to|market|possessive particle|trend|quite|familiar
I was quite familiar with market trends,
也 自信 那些 朋友 和 認識 的 人 會 信賴 我 的 新 事業 。
also|confident|those|friends|and|acquaintance|possessive particle|people|will|trust|me|possessive particle|new|business
and I was confident that those friends and acquaintances would trust my new venture.
就是 因為 和 這些 人 的 關係 , 加上 流利 的 日語 ,
It was precisely because of my relationships with these people, combined with my fluent Japanese,
才 為 我 帶來 這個 機緣 。
only|for|me|brought|this|opportunity
Only then did it bring me this opportunity.
雖然 我們 是 新 公司 , 也 還 沒有 建立 起 履行 承諾 的 紀錄 ,
Although we are a new company and have not yet established a record of fulfilling commitments,
但 我 卻 得到 世界 最大 的 住宅 建材 製造 商 「 積水 住宅 株式會社 」 的 支持 ,
I have received support from the world's largest residential building materials manufacturer, Sekisui House, Ltd.,
並 供應 他們 的 住宅 組合 建材 。
and|supply|they|possessive particle|residential|combination|building materials
and supply them with residential composite materials.
我 的 公司 於 一九九零 年代 初 期 , 成為 積水 住宅 的 最大 木料 供貨 商 。
My company became Sekisui House's largest timber supplier in the early 1990s.
同樣 的 , 名古屋 一家 中型 的 區域 供貨商 豐後 浜 的 總裁 日 熊 先生 ,
Similarly, Mr. Nikkuma, the president of Bungo Hama, a medium-sized regional supplier in Nagoya,
基於 雙方 十年 來 所 積累 ( 誤讀 : 累積 ) 的 信用 ,
based on the trust accumulated over the past ten years between both parties,
在 一次 壽司 午餐 中 當場 決定 改 向 我們 採購 傳統 的 日本 木材 成品 。
decided on the spot during a sushi lunch to switch to purchasing traditional Japanese wooden products from us.
這些 關係 都 是 因為 我 能 講 流利 的 日語 的 緣故 ,
these|relationships|all|are|because|I|can|speak|fluently|(possessive particle)|Japanese|(possessive particle)|reason
These relationships are all due to my ability to speak fluent Japanese,
只 靠 英語 是 不 可能 達成 的 。
which would not have been possible relying solely on English.
幾年 來 持續 建立 的 國際 關係 ,
several years|in the past|continuously|established|possessive particle|international|relations
The international relationships established over the years,
使 我 能 在 國際 商務 上 獲得 最大 的 回報 。
make|I|able|in|international|business|on|obtain|maximum|possessive particle|return
have allowed me to achieve the greatest returns in international business.
即使 和 我 的 加拿大 供貨商 ,
even if|and|I|possessive particle|Canada|supplier
Even with my Canadian suppliers,
語言 在 建立 互信 的 過程 中 , 也 有 它 正面 的 因素 。
language has its positive factors in the process of building mutual trust.
我 的 兩位 加拿大 主要 合夥人 , 也 都 是 通曉 外國 語言 的 人 。
Both of my main Canadian partners are also people who are proficient in foreign languages.
諾姆 柏契 先生 是 「 曼寧 多元 林產 製品 有限公司 」 的 總裁 ,
Mr. Norm Barchi is the president of 'Manning Diverse Forest Products Limited',
是 一 位 精力 充沛 、 什麼 都 自己 來 的 加拿大 亞伯達 省 木材 業 領導者 。
a dynamic leader in the timber industry from Alberta, Canada, who does everything himself.
他 來自 說 法語 的 魁北克 , 雖然 我們 平常 大多 以 英語 處理 業 務 ,
He comes from the French-speaking province of Quebec, although we usually conduct business in English,
由於 相互 之間 也 能 以 法語 交談 , 因此 更 增加 彼此 的 瞭解 與 信任 。
the ability to communicate in French with each other further enhances our understanding and trust.
諾姆 在 北 亞伯達 嚴酷 的 環境 中 長大 ,
Norm|in|North|Alberta|harsh|possessive particle|environment|within|grew up
Norm grew up in the harsh environment of Northern Alberta,
而 北 亞伯達 也 是 他 日夜 思念 的 地方 。
and|North|Alberta|also|is|he|day and night|misses|possessive particle|place
And North Alberta is also the place he thinks about day and night.
他 喜歡 提及 困苦 童年 的 往事 。
He|likes|to mention|difficult|childhood|possessive particle|past events
He likes to mention the stories of his difficult childhood.
在 青少年 時 , 零下 三十度 的 冬天 早上 ,
As a teenager, on winter mornings at minus thirty degrees,
他 得 外出 到 結冰 的 湖 上 挖洞 取 水 以 供應 家裡 使用 。
he had to go out to the frozen lake to drill holes for water to supply the household.
回 途中 , 還 得 查看 捕 兔 器 裡 是否 有 兔子 可 供 晚餐 時 燉 湯 。
On the way back, he also had to check if there were any rabbits in the traps for dinner stew.
1990 年代 , 有 次 到 日本 訪問 時 ,
In the 1990s, during a visit to Japan,
我們 共 進 一個 豪華 的 日本 料理 晚餐 。 ( 料理 )
we had a luxurious Japanese dinner together.
諾姆 一面 辛苦 地 用 不 習慣 的 筷子 用餐 ,
Norm|while|with difficulty|adverbial particle|using|not|accustomed|possessive particle|chopsticks|eat
Norm struggled to eat with the unfamiliar chopsticks,
一面 以 他 慣 有 的 幽默 口吻 告訴 我們 的 日本 主人 ,
while|using|he|accustomed|having|possessive particle|humorous|tone|told|us|possessive particle|Japanese|master
while humorously telling our Japanese hosts,
說 他 年輕 時 家裡 很 窮 , 只能 靠 兔子 肉 倖存 ,
that when he was young, his family was very poor and could only survive on rabbit meat.
但 至少 他們 仍 有 叉子 可 用 !
But at least they still have forks to use!
賓薩 瓦斯基 先生 是 我 開拓 日本 市場 的 合夥人 ( 瓦斯 ) 。
Mr. Pinsa Vaski is my partner in developing the Japanese market (Vas).
他 是 「 思 柏斯 蘭 公司 」 ( Spruceland ) 的 總 裁 , 也 是 一 位 傑出 的 企業家 。
He is the CEO of Spruceland and also an outstanding entrepreneur.
對於 該 做 什麼 他 會 立即 決定 , 然後 依照 所 做 的 決定 去 完成 。
He would immediately decide what to do, and then carry out the decision made.
他 起初 只有 一個 員工 , 現在 則 有 三家 工廠 和 一百 五十 個 員工 。
He started with only one employee, and now has three factories and one hundred fifty employees.
此外 , 他 擁有 數個 農場 並 建 了 一 家 私立學校 。
In addition, he owns several farms and built a private school.
賓 能 說 德語 、 西班牙語 和 英語 。
Bin can speak German, Spanish, and English.
我們 曾 一起 去 德國 和 西班牙 旅行 ,
we|once|together|went|Germany|and|Spain|travel
We traveled to Germany and Spain together,
除了 作生意 之外 , 也 分享 彼此 對 語言 的 共同 興趣 。
and besides doing business, we also share a common interest in languages.
賓 一直 想 學 日語 , 以便 和 日本 客戶 交談 。
Bin has always wanted to learn Japanese in order to communicate with Japanese clients.
他 斷斷續續 學 過 日語 , 就是 無法 堅持 下去 。
He has learned Japanese intermittently, but he just can't keep it up.
有 次 在 仙台 , 日本 客戶 作東 請客 。
Once in Sendai, a Japanese client treated us.
他 趁 我 上 洗手間 時 , 想 試 試 講 些 日語 。
He took the opportunity while I was in the restroom to try speaking some Japanese.
賓 說話 向來 響亮 有力 , 他 原本 想 說 的 是 「 料理 十分 美味 可口 ( oishikatta ) 」 ,
The guest always speaks loudly and powerfully; what he originally wanted to say was "The food was very delicious (oishikatta),"
結果 弄錯 了 過去 式 和 否定詞 , 並 以 他 平時 厚重 有力 的 聲音 ,
but he got the past tense and the negative form wrong, and with his usual deep and powerful voice,
說 「 料理 很 oishiku arimasen 」 , 即 「 不好 」 的 意思 。
Saying "料理很oishiku arimasen" means "not good."
對 語言 若 是 懂得 不 多 , 有時 反而 會 弄巧成拙 。
If you don't understand the language well, sometimes it can backfire.
如今 , 我 和 諾姆 、 賓 、 還有 積水 住宅 及 其 它 一些 人 ,
Now, I, along with Norm, Bin, and some other people from Sekisui House,
在 加拿大 內地 的 亞伯達 省 合夥 投資 了 一 家 成功 的 鋸 木 場 。
have partnered to invest in a successful sawmill in Alberta, Canada.
=== 成功 ===
=== Success ===
要 成功 的 完成 一件 事 , 需要 熱忱 及 工作 勤奮 。
To successfully complete a task, one needs passion and hard work.
這 對 員工 、 企業家 、 或 學習 語言 的 人 都 一樣 真 實 。
This is equally true for employees, entrepreneurs, or language learners.
熱誠 激發 你 的 活力 , 使 你 工作 勤奮 ,
Passion energizes you and makes you work diligently,
並 能 用以 克服 障礙 及 利用 機會 。
and|can|used to|overcome|obstacles|and|utilize|opportunities
and it can be used to overcome obstacles and seize opportunities.
我 和 許多 有 熱忱 、 工作效率 高 的 人 共事 過 ( 效率 高 ) 。
I have worked with many passionate and highly efficient people.
他們 並 不是 每個 人 會 說 多種 語言 ( 多種 語言 ) , 但是 有 知識 和 能力 去 超越 語言 的 障礙 。
They are not everyone who can speak multiple languages, but they have the knowledge and ability to overcome language barriers.
這種 人 存在 於 每個 文化 和 語言 族群 之中 ,
this kind of|person|exists|in|every|culture|and|language|ethnic group|within
Such people exist in every culture and language group,
如果 多多 鼓勵 他們 , 這些 人 都 會 成為 很 好 的 語言 家 。
and if encouraged more, these people can become great linguists.
但是 , 語言 並 不是 事業 成功 的 必要條件 , 只是 有 加強 的 作用 。
However, language is not a necessary condition for career success; it only has a reinforcing effect.
你 若 是 個 好 的 生意人 , 而且 能 用 另 一種 語言 溝通 ,
If you are a good businessman and can communicate in another language,
這 會 讓 你 更 有效 地 實現 自己 的 目標 。
this|will|make|you|more|effectively|(adverbial particle)|achieve|your|possessive particle|goals
This will help you achieve your goals more effectively.
做生意 的 時候 , 你 要 有 信用 , 更 讓 人 能夠 信任 你 。
When doing business, you need to have credibility, which makes people trust you more.
做生意 要 靠 人脈 ,
doing business|needs|rely on|connections
Doing business relies on connections,
如 : 同事 、 員工 、 上司 、 客戶 、 供貨 商 、 顧問 、 朋友 、 或 其它 你 可 信賴 和 被 信賴 的 人 。
such as: colleagues, employees, superiors, clients, suppliers, consultants, friends, or others whom you can trust and who can trust you.
如果 你 所 做 的 事 不能 被 信賴 、 不 可靠 ( 不 可靠 ) 、 或 沒有 效率 ,
If what you do cannot be trusted, is unreliable, or is inefficient,
即使 會 講 外國 話 , 也 對 你 毫無 幫助 。
Even if you can speak foreign languages, it is of no help to you.
記得 伏爾泰 說 過 : 有 位 法國 貴族 能 說 六種 語言 ,
Remember what Voltaire said: There was a French nobleman who could speak six languages,
卻 無法 用 它們 做 任何 事 。
but|unable to|use|them|do|any|thing
but could not do anything with them.
儘管如此 , 說 流利 的 外國 話 在 建立 互信 上 仍 是 非常 有用 。
Nevertheless, speaking foreign languages fluently is still very useful in building mutual trust.
你 不必 說 得 像 母語 人 一樣 好 , 但 必須 表達 得 從容 、 通暢 。
You don't have to speak as well as a native speaker, but you must express yourself calmly and fluently.
你 必須 能 不 費力 地 交談 ,
you|must|be able to|not|with effort|adverbial particle|converse
You must be able to converse effortlessly,
而且 讓 對方 也 能 不 費力 地 用 同樣 的 語言 和 你 對談 。
moreover|let|the other party|also|can|not|with effort|adverbial particle|use|the same|possessive particle|language|and|you|converse
and allow the other party to also converse with you in the same language effortlessly.
這種 專業 水準 的 語言 能力 是 國際 商務 必備 的 條件 ,
this kind of|professional|level|possessive particle|language|ability|is|international|business|essential|possessive particle|condition
This level of professional language ability is a prerequisite for international business,
只要 你 大量 地 閱讀 並且 去 聽 相關 的 文章 ,
as long as|you|extensively|adverbial particle|read|and|go|listen|relevant|possessive particle|articles
as long as you read extensively and listen to relevant articles,
系統 地 學習 和 使用 新 的 單詞 和 詞組 ,
and systematically learn and use new words and phrases.
並且 隨著 你 的 外語 流利 程度 的 不斷 提高 ,
and|with|you|possessive particle|foreign language|fluency|level|possessive particle|continuously|improvement
And as your fluency in foreign languages continues to improve,
始終 都 保持 著 用 新 語言 與 人 溝通 的 興趣 ,
always|all|maintain|continuous aspect marker|using|new|language|with|people|communication|possessive particle|interest
always maintain an interest in communicating with others in the new language,
那麼 你 一定 可以 達到 這個 水平 。
then|you|definitely|can|reach|this|level
then you will definitely be able to reach this level.
SENT_CWT:AFkKFwvL=5.54 PAR_TRANS:gpt-4o-mini=4.75
en:AFkKFwvL
openai.2025-01-22
ai_request(all=172 err=0.00%) translation(all=143 err=0.00%) cwt(all=1536 err=7.94%)