3.1 . 語言 家 的 態度 : 真實 的 溝通
3.1. The Attitude of Language Family: Real Communication
捕魚 具 是 用來 捕魚 的 , 得 魚 後 可 忘卻 不用 ;
Fishing tools are used for catching fish, and after catching fish, they can be forgotten and not used;
捕兔器 是 用來 捉 兔 的 , 得 兔 後 可 忘卻 不用 ;
Rabbit traps are used for catching rabbits, and after catching rabbits, they can be forgotten and not used;
語言 是 用來 捕捉 意義 的 , 得 意義 後 可 忘卻 不用 。
Language is used to capture meaning, and after obtaining meaning, it can be forgotten and not used.
我 如何 能 找到 一個 忘 言 的 人 而 與 他 對 談 啊 !
I|how|can|find|a|||possessive particle|person|and|with|he|||ah
How can I find a person who has forgotten language and have a conversation with him!
- 莊子 , 公元前 第四 世紀
- Zhuangzi, 4th century BC
=== 真實 的 溝通 ===
=== True Communication ===
雖然 是 顯而易見 , 但 要 成為 一個 語言 家 ,
Although it is obvious, to become a linguist,
你 必須 「 想要 」 用 另 一種 語言 去 溝通 。
you must "want" to communicate in another language.
那些 能夠 學 成 另 一種 語言 的 人 , 內心 都 有 一個 願望 :
Those who are able to learn another language all have a desire within:
去 認識 其它 的 人 和 另 一個 文化 , 而 不 只 是 學 一種 新 語言 。
To get to know other people and another culture, not just to learn a new language.
只有 當 我 真心 想 要 去 接觸 新 的 文化 和 人 , 這 才 開始 步上 語言家 之 路 。
Only when I truly want to engage with new cultures and people does the journey of becoming a linguist begin.
並非 所有 學習 語言 的 人 都 很 願意 去 使用 正在 學習 的 語言 。
not all|all|learning|language|possessive particle|people|all|very|willing|to|use|currently|learning|possessive particle|language
Not everyone who learns a language is very willing to use the language they are learning.
我 仍 清楚 地 記得 四十年 前 的 某 天 ,
I still clearly remember a day forty years ago,
當時 我 負責 巴黎 農學院 的 語言 實驗室 , 有 個 學生 忽然 發出 抱怨 之 聲 :
when I was in charge of the language laboratory at the Paris Agricultural Institute, a student suddenly voiced a complaint:
「 媽的 , 我 學 英語 都 十 年 了 , 還是 搞 不 清楚 怎麼 一 回事 ! 」
"Damn it, I've been learning English for ten years, and I still can't figure out how it works!"
說完 , 扔下 耳機 , 踩 著 重重 的 步伐 走出 教室 。
After saying that, he threw down his headphones and walked out of the classroom with heavy steps.
至今 , 我 仍 記得 這 一 幕 。
To this day, I still remember this scene.
我 能 體會 出 他 的 沮喪 。
I|can|understand|express|he|possessive particle|frustration
I can empathize with his frustration.
他 說出 了 所有 感到 沮喪 的 學習 者 心聲 ,
He voiced the feelings of all learners who feel frustrated.
他們 熬過 多年 的 正規 課堂 語言 教學 、 默記 、 練習 、 回答 問題 、 準備 考試 等等 ,
They endured many years of formal classroom language teaching, memorization, practice, answering questions, preparing for exams, and so on,
卻 還是 無法 達到 流利 溝通 的 程度 。
but|still|unable to|achieve|fluent|communication|possessive particle|level
yet they still could not achieve a level of fluent communication.
他 因 勉強 去 學 那些 毫不相干 的 文句 而 感到 厭煩 ( 相干 ) ,
He felt frustrated for having to learn those irrelevant sentences,
他 也 不在乎 所 學 的 內容 , 也 沒有 慾望 用 英語 去 與 人 溝通 ,
and he didn't care about the content he was learning, nor did he have the desire to communicate with others in English,
整個 學習 過程 對 他 而言 , 都 沒有 什麼 實際 意義 。
the entire learning process had no practical significance for him.
語言 家 曉得 , 要 把 一種 新 語言 學 得 通順 ,
Linguists know that to master a new language fluently,
須 超越 上課 或 學習 教科書 的 範圍 。
must|go beyond|class|or|study|textbook|possessive particle|scope
one must go beyond the scope of classes or textbooks.
語言家 會 盡 其 所能 去 接觸 一個 新 的 文化 ,
linguist|will|to the fullest|their|ability|to|engage with|a|new|(possessive particle)|culture
Linguists will do their best to engage with a new culture,
會 利用 一切 機會 在 實際 生活 狀況 中 去 面對 新 的 語言 。
and will seize every opportunity to confront the new language in real-life situations.
假如 沒有 意願 用 新 語言 去 與 人 溝通 ,
if|does not have|willingness|using|new|language|to|with|people|communicate
If there is no willingness to communicate with others in the new language,
學習 者 便 會 陷入 技術性 的 細節 裡 ,
Learners will get caught up in the technical details,
而 那些 細節 是 很 容易 忘記 的 。
and|those|details|are|very|easy|forgotten|past action particle
and those details are very easy to forget.
我 還 記得 在 學校 學 拉丁語 的 情形 。
I|still|remember|at|school|study|Latin|(possessive particle)|situation
I still remember the situation of learning Latin in school.
我們 比賽 誰 能 又 快 又 大聲 地 說出 拉丁文 的 名詞 字 尾 變化 。
We competed to see who could say the Latin noun endings quickly and loudly.
我 可以 在 幾秒鐘 之內 說出 bellum ( 戰爭 ) 的 字 尾 變化 , 包括 單數 與 複數 。
I could recite the endings of bellum (war) within seconds, including singular and plural.
它 的 發音 聽 起來 很 模糊 。
it|possessive particle|pronunciation|hear|sounds|very|unclear
Its pronunciation sounds very vague.
總之 , 我 從 沒有 意願 要 講 拉丁語 , 只要 通過 考試 就 好 。
In short, I never had the desire to speak Latin, just passing the exam is enough.
我 高中 的 法語 也 類似 如此 。
I|high school|possessive particle|French|also|similar|like this
My French in high school was similar.
現在 , 我 的 拉丁語 早已 忘記 ,
Now, I have long forgotten my Latin,
而 法語 也 一向 無法 正確 表達 , 直到 畢業 後 才 有 了 改變 。
and my French has always been unable to express correctly, until after graduation did it change.
總之 , 語言 就 是 為了 溝通 ,
In short, language is for communication,
而 不是 為了 掌握 有關 語法 、 字 詞 表 、 考試 或 練習 等 細節 。
not for mastering details such as grammar, vocabulary lists, exams, or practice.
在 本章 開頭 的 引文 , 莊子 就 告訴 我們 語言 的 字句 是 人為 的 創作 。
At the beginning of this chapter, Zhuangzi tells us that the words of language are a human creation.
語言 的 自然 本質 是 在 意念 的 真誠 表達 ,
language|possessive particle|natural|essence|is|in|thought|possessive particle|sincere|expression
The natural essence of language lies in the sincere expression of ideas,
因而 語言 的 學習 也 是 如此 , 其餘 就 是 人為 的 了 。
therefore, the learning of language is the same; the rest is artificial.
捕魚器 只 在 捕魚 時 有用 , 字詞 也 只 在 溝通 時 才 有用 。
A fishing tool is only useful when fishing, and words are only useful when communicating.
學習 者 必須 「 想要 」 開始 溝通 。
Learners must "want" to start communicating.
=== 對 語言 學習 的 抗拒 ===
=== Resistance to Language Learning ===
並非 每個 人 都 想要 使用 另 一種 語言 去 溝通 , 或 學習 另 一種 文化 。
Not everyone wants to use another language to communicate or learn another culture.
我們 可以 理解 ,
we|can|understand
We can understand,
多數 人 都 是 比較 喜歡 使用 自己 的 語言 而 不 太 想 使用 新 語言 。
Most people prefer to use their own language and are not very willing to use a new language.
矛盾 的 是 , 許多 嘗試 學習 第二 語言 的 人 , 實際 上 也 在 抗拒 這個 語言 。
Ironically, many people who try to learn a second language are actually resisting that language.
在 面對 不同 的 語言 和 文化 時 , 我們 可能 會 倍感 壓力 。
When faced with different languages and cultures, we may feel an increased sense of pressure.
的確 , 以 新 的 語言 來 表達 想法 和 感覺 , 純屬 私人 內心 的 行為 。
Indeed, expressing thoughts and feelings in a new language is a purely personal inner act.
你 的 語言 反映 出 你 的 態度 和 個性 ,
you|possessive particle|language|reflects|out|you|possessive particle|attitude|and|personality
Your language reflects your attitude and personality.
因此 你 會 覺得 用 母語 來 表達 最 是 自在 。
Therefore, you may feel most comfortable expressing yourself in your mother tongue.
抗拒 新 語言 也 可能 是 為 保護 自己 的 語言 及 認同 ,
resist|new|language|also|possibly|is|for|protecting|oneself|possessive particle|language|and|identity
Resisting a new language may also be a way to protect one's own language and identity.
有些 人 就 覺得 講 第二 語言 不但 不 適當 , 而且 危險 。
Some people feel that speaking a second language is not only inappropriate but also dangerous.
有些 學習者 實際上 憎惡 開口 講 新 語言 , 另 有些 人 則 覺得 很 累 。
Some learners actually detest speaking a new language, while others find it very tiring.
人們 時常 喜歡 把 新 語言 拿來 和 母語 相 比較 ,
people|often|like|to|new|language|to bring|and|native language|each other|compare
People often like to compare the new language with their mother tongue.
其實 他們 更 應該 去 模仿 和 學習 新 語言 。
actually|they|more|should|go|imitate|and|learn|new|language
In fact, they should be imitating and learning new languages.
這些 反應 很 類似 人們 出國 旅遊 時 的 表現 。
these|reactions|very|similar|people|going abroad|travel|when|possessive particle|behavior
These reactions are very similar to how people behave when traveling abroad.
儘管 有 許多 旅客 在 旅遊 地點 興致 高昂 ,
although|there are|many|tourists|at|travel|destination|interest|high
Although many travelers are enthusiastic at their travel destinations,
並且 懂得 自 找 樂趣 , 仍 有 一些 人 會 找 理由 說 :
and know how to find joy for themselves, there are still some who will find reasons to say:
「 畢竟 , 還是 自己 的 地方 好 。 」
"After all, there's no place like home."
無論 是 食物 、 或 清潔 、 或 天氣 , 都 證實 家裡 的確 比較 好 。
Whether it's food, cleanliness, or weather, it is indeed confirmed that home is better.
當然 , 從 旅行 回到 自己 的 家 時 , 我們 總是 很 高興 ,
Of course, when we return home from traveling, we are always very happy,
但 為什麼 要 在 旅行 時 想 這個 問題 呢 ?
but|why|must|during|travel|time|think|this|question|particle
but why think about this question while traveling?
同樣 的 , 講 自己 的 母語 是 很 輕鬆 愉快 ,
Similarly, speaking one's mother tongue is very easy and pleasant,
但是 該 嘗試 用 新 語言 溝通 時 ,
but|should|try|using|new|language|communicate|when
but one should try to communicate in a new language.
為什麼 要 把 注意力 集中 在 自己 的 母語 上 呢 ?
why|should|(particle indicating action)|attention|focus|on|self|possessive particle|native language|(particle indicating location)|question particle
Why should we focus our attention on our mother tongue?
看到 許多 學習者 不會 利用 周遭 的 環境 , 實在 令人 遺憾 。
It is truly regrettable to see many learners not taking advantage of their surroundings.
父母親 送 小孩 到 國外 學 語言 是 很 普通 的 事 。
parents|send|child|to|abroad|learn|language|is|very|common|possessive particle|thing
It is quite common for parents to send their children abroad to learn a language.
1960 年代 初期 , 我 在 法國 的 格倫諾伯 大學 讀 政治學 ,
In the early 1960s, I studied political science at Grenoble University in France,
有 許多 來自 英國 和 美國 的 學 生 也 在 那裡 學 法語 。
there is|many|from|England|and|America|possessive particle|study|students|also|at|there|learn|French
where there were many students from the UK and the US also learning French.
他們 大多 喜歡 和 講 英語 的 朋友 聚 在一起 ,
They mostly like to gather with friends who speak English,
全然 沒有 好好 利用 住 在 法國 的 機會 。
completely|did not|well|utilize|living|in|France|possessive particle|opportunity
completely failing to take advantage of the opportunity to live in France.
他們 沒有 足夠 的 意願 去 瞭解 法國 人民 ,
They|do not have|enough|possessive particle|willingness|to|understand|French|people
They do not have enough willingness to understand the French people,
結果 可想而知 , 他們 的 法語 並 沒有 得到 應有 的 進步 。
and the result is predictable; their French has not made the progress it should have.
相同 的 , 有 次 我 在 英國 一家 著名 大學 與 一 位 教 化學 的 日本 教授 談話 。
Similarly, there was a time when I was talking to a Japanese professor who teaches chemistry at a famous university in England.
他 很 遺憾 從 日本 來 的 許 多 留學生 都 和 講 日語 的 學生 聚 在 一起 。
He is very regretful that many international students from Japan gather with students who speak Japanese.
有 個 大家 都 知道 的 笑話 : 從 東京 來 的 留學生 回 日本 之 後 ,
There is a well-known joke: international students from Tokyo, after returning to Japan,
說話 會 帶 著 大阪 腔 , 但是 英語 卻 沒什麼 進步 。
speak with an Osaka accent, but their English hasn't improved much.
就 像 我們 第一次 學 游泳 時 , 水 看起來 並 不是 那麼 引人 。
It's like when we first learn to swim; the water doesn't seem that inviting.
用 外國 語言 溝通 亦 然 , 除非 我們 下定決心 去 講 。
The same goes for communicating in a foreign language, unless we are determined to speak.
記得 一 位 最近 到 加拿大 來 的 移民 告訴 我 ,
I remember a recent immigrant who came to Canada telling me,
他 離開 故鄉 後 , 先 住 在 歐洲 , 有時 同事 會 邀 他 外出 飲酒 ,
that after leaving his hometown, he first lived in Europe, and sometimes his colleagues would invite him out for drinks,
由於 他 覺得 自己 不 瞭解 同事 們 的 幽默 , 後來 就 沒有 繼續 和 他們 外出 了 。
but since he felt he didn't understand his colleagues' humor, he eventually stopped going out with them.
我 實在 不 清楚 他 說 這 件 事 的 用意 ,
I really don't understand the point he was trying to make by saying this,
大概 是 想 讓 我 或 他 自己 相信 :
probably|is|wants|to let|me|or|he|himself|to believe
perhaps he wanted to make me or himself believe:
他 和 「 外國人 」 的 文化 鴻溝 實在 大 到 無法 溝通 ,
The cultural gap between him and 'foreigners' is so large that communication is impossible.
但是 , 他 又 想 要 改進 自己 的 英語 。
However, he wants to improve his English.
他 不 瞭解 , 假如 想 把 新 語言 學 好 ,
He does not understand that if he wants to learn a new language well,
就 必須 學習 找出 自己 與 「 外國人 」 的 共同 觀點 來 。
he must learn to find common ground with 'foreigners'.
他 沒有 具備 語言 家 應有 的 態度 。
He|does not have|possess|language|expert|should have|possessive particle|attitude
He does not possess the attitude that a linguist should have.
具有 他國 語言 的 溝通 能力 , 很 顯然 的 ,
Having the ability to communicate in other languages is quite evident,
會 為 個人 、 專業 、 或 文化 等 各 方面 帶來 機會 。
and it brings opportunities in various aspects such as personal, professional, or cultural.
我 無論 是 在家 或 外出 旅行 , 都 從 使用 不同 的 語言 當中 得到 很 大 的 樂趣 。
I derive great pleasure from using different languages whether I am at home or traveling.
此外 , 我 的 事業 也 是 因 自己 的 語言 能力 而 建立 起來 的 。
Moreover, my career has also been built upon my language skills.
現在 , 即使 我 待 在 溫哥華 家裡 ,
Now, even when I stay at home in Vancouver,
我 可以 在 早上 用 法語 和 住 在 Le Havre 的 客戶 通電話 ,
I can speak French on the phone with clients living in Le Havre in the morning,
或者 用 瑞典語 或 德語 和 供貨商 交談 ,
or|use|Swedish|or|German|with|supplier|communicate
or talk to suppliers in Swedish or German,
然後 在 廣式 飲茶 的 午餐 中 用 廣東話 和 服務生 閒聊 ,
then|at|Cantonese|dim sum|possessive particle|lunch|during|using|Cantonese|and|waiter|chat
and then chat with the waiter in Cantonese during dim sum lunch,
到 了 晚上 , 才 用 華語 或 日語 打電話 到 北京 及 名古屋 。
and in the evening, I make phone calls to Beijing and Nagoya in Mandarin or Japanese.
我 經營 日本 公司 已 有 六年 ,
I|manage|Japan|company|already|have|six years
I have been running a Japanese company for six years,
也 有 機會 在 亞洲 、 歐洲 、 拉丁美洲 與 北美洲 的 林木業 聚會 上 ,
There is also an opportunity to speak at forestry gatherings in Asia, Europe, Latin America, and North America.
用 日語 、 西班牙語 、 意大利語 、 法語 、 瑞典語 及 英語 發表 演講 。
Presenting in Japanese, Spanish, Italian, French, Swedish, and English.
=== 克服 抗拒 心理 ===
=== Overcoming Resistance Psychology ===
要 成為 語言 家 , 你 必須 克服 學習 語言 時 所 面臨 的 抗拒 心理 。
To become a linguist, you must overcome the resistance psychology faced when learning a language.
它 可能 需要 經過 個人 關係 或 偶然 發生 的 令人 愉快 的 經歷 ,
It may require personal relationships or pleasant experiences that occur by chance.
才 能 突破 心理 障礙 去 學習 新 的 文化 。
Only by breaking through psychological barriers can one learn new cultures.
我 還 記得 廿年 前 發生 在 日本 的 一個 事件 ( 廿 = 二十 ) 。
I still remember an incident that happened in Japan twenty years ago.
當時 我 替 加拿大 一家 主要 的 出口商 推銷 木材 ,
at that time|I|for|Canada|a|major|possessive particle|exporter|promoted|timber
At that time, I was promoting timber for a major Canadian exporter.
可是 我們 的 鋸木 場 生產 出 的 木材 無法 達到 日本 客戶 所 需 的 質量 要求 。
but|we|possessive particle|sawmill|site|production|out|possessive particle|timber|cannot|meet|Japan|customer|particle indicating a specific action|need|possessive particle|quality|requirements
However, the timber produced by our sawmill did not meet the quality requirements of our Japanese clients.
為了 進一步 瞭解 客戶 的 需 要 ,
in order to|further|understand|customer|possessive particle||
In order to further understand the needs of the clients,
我們 就 安排 負責 質量 鑑定 的 資深 主管 去 日本 一 趟 。
We arranged for a senior manager responsible for quality assessment to go to Japan.
頭 幾 天 真 像 碰 了 大 災難 。
The first few days really felt like a disaster.
這 位 主管 來自 加拿大 的 一個 小鎮 ,
This manager is from a small town in Canada,
一生 的 工作 都 是 有關 木料 的 分級 和 品質 的 鑑定 。
whole life|possessive particle|work|all|is|related to|lumber|possessive particle|grading|and|quality|possessive particle|assessment
and has spent his entire career involved in the grading and quality assessment of wood.
他 對 木料 的 分級 已 有 一套 自己 的 看法 ,
He has his own set of views on wood grading.
而且 認為 不該 調整 我們 鋸木 場 的 標準 去 滿足 客戶 的 需求 ,
moreover|believe|should not|adjust|our|sawmill|site|possessive particle|standards|to|satisfy|customer|possessive particle|needs
Moreover, he believes that we should not adjust the standards of our sawmill to meet customer demands,
而是 要 向 客戶 說 他們 錯 了 !
but|need|to|customer|tell|they|wrong|past tense marker
but rather tell the customers that they are wrong!
換句話說 , 他 根本 不想 去 瞭解 客戶 的 觀點 。
In other words, he doesn't want to understand the customer's perspective at all.
有天 傍晚 , 我們 到 一家 有 年輕 小姐 奉承 、 閒聊 的 酒吧 喝酒 。
One evening, we went to a bar where a young lady was flattering and chatting with us.
一 位 漂亮 的 小姐 問 我們 這 位 資深 的 木材 分級 專家 是否 會 講 日語 。
A beautiful lady asked whether this senior lumber grading expert could speak Japanese.
他 以 熱烈 、 愛慕 的 眼神 注視 著 她 說 : 「 不會 , 但是 我 可以 學 。 」
He looked at her with a passionate and admiring gaze and said, "No, but I can learn."
那天 , 他 在 那 家 酒吧 過 了 一個 愉快 的 傍晚 。
That day, he had a pleasant evening at that bar.
隔日 起 , 他 開始 注意 日本 客戶 的 觀點 ,
The next day, he began to pay attention to the perspectives of Japanese clients,
我們 終 能 成功 發展 出 新 的 日本 木材 分級 系統 。
we|eventually|can|successfully|develop|out|new|possessive particle|Japan|timber|grading|system
and we finally succeeded in developing a new grading system for Japanese timber.
這種 事 應該 發生 在 每個 學習 語言 的 人 身上 ,
this kind of|thing|should|happen|at|every|learning|language|possessive particle|person|on
This kind of thing should happen to everyone who is learning a language.
好 讓 他們 能 減低 抗拒 而 增加 興趣 。
good|let|them|can|reduce|resistance|and|increase|interest
Let them reduce resistance and increase interest.
突破 語言 抗拒 最好 的 機會 , 就 是 使用 那個 語言 去 結交 朋友 。
The best opportunity to break through language resistance is to use that language to make friends.
也 有些 想要 學習 新 語言 又 沒有 抗拒 心理 的 人 ,
also|some|want to|learn|new|language|but|do not have|resistance|psychological|possessive particle|people
There are also some people who want to learn a new language but do not have a resistance mentality,
卻 終究 不能 成為 語言 家 。
but|ultimately|cannot|become|language|expert
yet they ultimately cannot become language experts.
他們 有 另 一個 問題 , 就 是 怕 犯錯 。
They have another problem, which is the fear of making mistakes.
這種 人 在 自己 對 新 語言 還 沒有 感受 、
this kind of|person|at|oneself|towards|new|language|still|not|feeling
This kind of person is still in the learning stage where they have not yet felt the new language,
也 還 沒有 信心 能夠 自由 表達 的 學習 階段 ,
also|still|no|confidence|able to|freely|express|possessive particle|learning|stage
and they also lack the confidence to express themselves freely,
就 給 自己 壓力 要 達到 完美無缺 的 地步 。
then|give|oneself|pressure|must|reach|perfect|possessive particle|level
yet they put pressure on themselves to achieve perfection.
這 不但 產生 反效果 ,
this|not only|produces|adverse effect
This not only produces counterproductive effects,
且 會 因為 過於 在意 自己 的 表現 而 妨礙 了 溝通 的 能力 。
and|will|because|overly|concerned about|oneself|possessive particle|performance|and|hinder|past tense marker|communication|possessive particle|ability
but also hinders their ability to communicate due to being overly concerned about their performance.
假如 你 願意 用 現有 的 程度 去 溝通 , 即使 還 不是 很 完美 ,
If you are willing to communicate with your current level, even if it is not perfect yet,
也 會 增加 你 的 信 心 和 改進 的 意願 。
also|will|increase|your|possessive particle|confidence|heart|and|improvement|possessive particle|willingness
it will increase your confidence and willingness to improve.
其實 , 語言 的 發音 、 語法 和 詞彙 ,
In fact, pronunciation, grammar, and vocabulary of a language,
都 可以 自然而然 地 學好 , 只要 條件 成 熟 。
can all be learned naturally, as long as the conditions are right.
經由 溝通 和 犯錯 , 我 得以 學習 並 獲得 改進 。
Through communication and making mistakes, I am able to learn and improve.
大概 在 四十年 前 , 我 在 法國 一家 大學 的 課堂 上 做 口頭 報告 。
About forty years ago, I gave an oral presentation in a classroom at a university in France.
當 我 想 說 「 responsable 」 ( 負責 任 的 ) 這 四 個 字 時 ,
When I wanted to say the four words "responsable" (responsible),
我 把 它 發 成 英語 中 的 「 i 」 音 , 而 不是 法語 中 的 「 a 」 音 。
I pronounced it with the English "i" sound instead of the French "a" sound.
每次 我 念 錯 音 , 就 會 引來 一陣 笑聲 。
Every time I mispronounced it, it would elicit a burst of laughter.
我 是 一直 到 後來 , 才 知道 他 們 在 笑 我 唸 錯 音 ,
I only realized later that they were laughing at my mispronunciation.
但是 那 並 不 讓 我 覺得 困擾 。
but|that|also|not|let|I|feel|troubled
But that didn't make me feel troubled.
我 是 全神貫注 地 做 報告 , 傳達 我 的 信息 。
I was fully focused on making the report, conveying my message.
當時 我 並 不 在意 大家 的 笑聲 , 反倒 是 他們 的 笑聲 幫助 了 我 ,
At that time, I didn't care about everyone's laughter; instead, their laughter helped me.
現在 , 我 已 不再 犯 同樣 的 錯誤 。
Now, I no longer make the same mistake.
設法 不要 讓 自己 有 追求 完美 的 慾望 ,
try|not|let|oneself|have|pursuit|perfection|possessive particle|desire
I try not to let myself have the desire for perfection.
那 是 不切實際 又 會 妨礙 你 的 進步 。
that|is|impractical|and|will|hinder|your|possessive particle|progress
That is unrealistic and will hinder your progress.
相反 的 , 試 著 用 比較 自然 的 方式 去 溝通 , 而且 享受 點 樂趣 。
On the contrary, try to communicate in a more natural way and enjoy the fun.
雖然 有時 仍 不 順暢 , 但 會 持續 有 進步 。
Although it may still be difficult at times, you will continue to make progress.
要 相信 自己 有 能力 用 新 語言 溝通 ,
must|believe|yourself|has|ability|use|new|language|communicate
Believe in your ability to communicate in the new language,
然後 依照 正確 的 學習 方法 去 達成 目標 。
then|according to|correct|possessive particle|learning|method|to|achieve|goal
and then achieve your goals according to the correct learning methods.
就 如同 運動 , 信心 是 成功 極 重要 的 因素 。
Just like sports, confidence is a crucial factor for success.
在 一 本 非常 有用 的 關於 打 高爾夫球 的 書 中 ,
In a very useful book about playing golf,
作者 羅伯 ̇羅替拉 ( RobertJ.Rotella )
the author Robert J. Rotella
談到 的 並 不是 打 高爾夫球 的 技巧 , 而是 培養 必要 的 態度 。
talks not about the techniques of playing golf, but about cultivating the necessary attitude.
這 本 書 , 名叫 「 高爾夫 不是 完美 的 遊戲 」 ( GolfisNotaGameofPerfect ) 。
This book is called "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect."
打 高爾夫球 的 時候 , 試圖 完美 會 破壞 樂趣 和 你 的 信心 ,
Trying to achieve perfection while playing golf can ruin the fun and your confidence,
也 會 因而 導致 不好 的 表現 。
also|will|consequently|lead to|poor|possessive particle|performance
and can also lead to poor performance.
學習 語言 如果 不是 更 甚於 此 , 也 是 情形 類同 。
Learning a language, if not more so, is a similar situation.
若 想 改進 打 高爾夫球 的 技術 , 練習 是 很 重要 的 ,
If you want to improve your golf skills, practice is very important,
但是 , 不 在意 比賽 的 結果 , 充分 享受 打球 的 樂趣 更為 重要 。
but it is even more important to enjoy the fun of playing without worrying about the results.
把 全部 時間 全 用 在 練習 , 並 沒有 什麼 意義 。
Spending all your time on practice has no real meaning.
因此 , 想 成為 一個 語言 家 , 你 必須 喜歡 用 新 語言 去 與 人 溝通 ,
Therefore, if you want to become a linguist, you must enjoy communicating with people in the new language,
而 不 去 擔心 自己 的 水平 問題 。
and|not|go|worry|oneself|possessive particle|level|question
and not worry about your level.
不要 花 時間 企圖 去 掌握 語言 的 語法 規則 和 單詞表 ,
do not|spend|time|attempt|to|master|language|possessive particle|grammar|rules|and|vocabulary list
Don't waste time trying to master the grammar rules and vocabulary of the language,
你 不會 喜歡 這種 令人 厭煩 的 學習 方式 , 而且 , 效果 也 不 太 好 。
you won't enjoy this tedious way of learning, and the results won't be very good.
=== 依照 自己 的 程度 去 溝通 ===
=== Communicate According to Your Own Level ===
當 你 學習 一種 新 語言 的 時候 , 要 如何 與 外界 溝通 呢 ?
When you are learning a new language, how do you communicate with the outside world?
說 、 寫 、 看 、 聽 都 是 可用 的 方式 ,
Speaking, writing, reading, and listening are all available methods,
主要 是 能 適合 你 的 興趣 與 程度 。
mainly|is|can|suitable|your|possessive particle|interests|and|level
but mainly, they should suit your interests and level.
在 講話 的 時候 , 要 能 限制 在 自己 的 程度 之內 ,
When speaking, you should be able to limit yourself to your own level,
不要 使用 俚語 、 俗語 、 或 複雜 的 字句 。
Do not use slang, colloquialisms, or complex phrases.
設法 把 話題 限制 在 自己 能夠 處理 的 範圍 內 。
try to|particle indicating action|topic|limit|in|oneself|able to|handle|possessive particle|scope|within
Try to keep the topic within a range that you can handle.
每次 你 用 新 語言 傳達 訊息 , 雖 只是 講 了 一點點 ,
Every time you convey a message in a new language, even if it's just a little,
也 要 好好 鼓勵 自己 一番 , 這 會 建立 起 你 的 信心 。
you should encourage yourself well; this will build your confidence.
縱使 在 開始 學習 的 階段 ,
even if|at|beginning|learning|possessive particle|stage
Even in the initial stages of learning,
你 的 目標 必須 是 表達 自己 , 而 不是 語言 的 學術 研究 。
Your goal must be to express yourself, not to engage in academic research of the language.
無論 你 犯 了 多 少 錯誤 , 或 費 了 多少 力氣 ,
No matter how many mistakes you make or how much effort you put in,
只要 是 直接 與 人 溝通 而 不是 精通 理論 , 就 會 進步 得 更 快 。
as long as you are communicating directly with people rather than mastering the theory, you will progress faster.
我 的 妻子 卡門 , 就 是 這 項 原則 的 一個 好 例子 。
My wife Carmen is a good example of this principle.
當 我們 住 在 東京 時 , 她 很少 有 時間 去 學習 日 語 ,
When we lived in Tokyo, she had very little time to study Japanese,
但是 她 與 我們 住家 附近 的 店 主人 都 溝通 得 很 自在 。
but|she|with|us|home|nearby|possessive particle|store|owner|all|communicate|adverbial particle|very|comfortably
But she communicates very comfortably with the shop owners near our home.
她 是 先 從 那些 想要 購買 的 蔬菜 、 魚肉 等 的 名字 開始 學 起 的 。
She started learning from the names of the vegetables, fish, and meat that she wanted to buy.
幾年 後 , 有次 我們 招待 來自 法國 的 客戶 、 也 是 朋友 的 紀裡米提 一家 人 ,
A few years later, we hosted a family from France, the Gilmartins, who are also friends.
開 著 車子 在 英屬 哥倫比亞 區 一帶 觀光 。
They were driving around sightseeing in the British Columbia area.
伯納 與 我 坐 在 車子 的 前座 ,
Bernard and I were sitting in the front seat of the car.
卡門 與 伯納 的 太太 曼妮卡 則 坐 在 後座 。
Carmen|and|Bernard|possessive particle|Mrs|Manika|then|sits|in|the back seat
Carmen and Mrs. Bernar, Manika, were sitting in the back seat.
曼妮 卡 只 會 講 法語 , 而 卡門 的 法語 語法 也 是 「 慘不忍聞 」 。
Manika only speaks French, and Carmen's French grammar is also "terrible."
但 一個 星期 之後 , 她 已 能 和 曼妮卡 在 後座 有說有笑 了 。
But after a week, she was already able to chat and laugh with Manika in the back seat.
我 相信 , 以 卡門 的 程度 , 她 是 會 被 放 在 語法 初級班 裡 ,
I believe that, at Carmen's level, she would be placed in a beginner grammar class,
但 比起 大多數 在 學校 學 了 多年 法語 的 「 英語 加拿大人 」 來說 ,
but compared to most "English Canadians" who have studied French for many years in school,
她 的 表達 能力 是 好 多 了 。
Her expression ability has improved a lot.
假如 她 需要 改進 自己 的 語法 , 她 是 做 得 到 的 ,
If she needs to improve her grammar, she can do it.
但 至少 她 現在 對 法語 已 有 感受力 ,
But at least she now has a sense of the French language.
而且 在 表達 的 時候 也 有 一定 程度 的 自信 。
moreover|at|expressing|possessive particle|time|also|has|certain|level|possessive particle|confidence
And she also has a certain level of confidence when expressing herself.
卡門 的 法語 並 不 須要 說 得 多 流利 , 因為 她 只 偶爾 用到 它 。
Carmen's French doesn't need to be very fluent, because she only uses it occasionally.
在 工作 場合 中 , 若 想 讓 語言 產生 效力 , 就 必須 達到 流暢 的 地步 ,
In the workplace, if you want your language to be effective, you must reach a level of fluency.
但 在 一般 社交 場合 , 能夠 把 意思 傳達 出來 就 十分 足夠 了 。
However, in general social situations, being able to convey your meaning is quite sufficient.
卡門 已 有 足夠 的 信心 在 一般 社交 場合 中 與 人 交談 ,
Carmen already has enough confidence to converse with people in general social situations.
她 當然 可以 講 得 更 正確 , 假如 她 選擇 追求 那樣 的 一個 目標 。
Of course, she could speak more accurately if she chose to pursue that kind of goal.
當 你 聽 和 讀 的 時候 也 是 一樣 :
when|you|listening|and|reading|possessive particle|time|also|is|the same
The same applies when you listen and read:
把 精神 集中 在 你 所 關注 、 或 感興趣 的 題材 上面 。
Focus your mind on the topics that you are interested in or concerned about.
假如 你 閱讀 或 聆聽 最 吸引 你 、 或 你 想 知道 的 內容 ,
If you read or listen to content that attracts you the most or that you want to know about,
你 學 起來 就 會 更 覺 有趣 , 也 更 有 效果 。
you will find it more interesting to learn and it will be more effective.
找出 有 意義 的 內容 是 成為 語言 家 的 第一步 ,
find|have|meaningful|possessive particle|content|is|becoming|language|expert|possessive particle|first step
Finding meaningful content is the first step to becoming a linguist,
這 可以 是 有關 日常生活 、 商務 、 你 已 知道 的 學術 主題 、 愛好 、
which can be related to daily life, business, academic subjects you already know, or hobbies,
與 一個 新 朋友 的 共同 興趣 、 食物 、 音樂 、 或 其它 任何 題材 。
Common interests with a new friend, food, music, or any other topic.
你 必須 明確 知道 自己 為什麼 要 溝通 。
you|must|clearly|know|yourself|why|need to|communicate
You must clearly know why you want to communicate.
假如 你 是 基於 某 種 義務 感 而 學習 語言 ,
If you are learning a language out of a sense of obligation,
你 就 只 會 看見 一 堆 規則 和 字句 。
you will only see a bunch of rules and phrases.
這時 , 學習 語言 就 成為 一 場 艱辛 的 奮鬥 。
At this point, learning a language becomes a difficult struggle.
「 有 意義 的 內容 」 這個 概念 , 在 本 書 中 時常 出現 。
The concept of 'meaningful content' appears frequently in this book.
它 指 的 是 真實 的 語言 狀況 , 如 : 為 某個 特 定 目的 所 做 的 交談 ,
It refers to real language situations, such as conversations conducted for a specific purpose,
而 不是 課堂 裡 的 對話 、 訓練 或 測驗 問題 。
rather than dialogues, training, or test questions in a classroom.
它 指 的 是 閱讀 和 聆聽 那些 你 感興趣 、 並且 能夠 理解 的 內容 。
It refers to reading and listening to content that you are interested in and can understand.
你 學習 的 內容 愈 實際 , 所得 的 效果 就 會 愈 好 。
The more practical the content you learn, the better the results will be.
由於 你 對 所 選 的 內容 感興趣 ,
due to|you|towards|what|chosen|possessive particle|content|interested
Because you are interested in the content you choose,
你 就 能 感受 到 字裡行間 之外 的 真正 內涵 , 然後 再 自然 地 加以 吸收 。
you can feel the true meaning beyond the words, and then naturally absorb it.
那 才 是 真正 的 交流 。
That is true communication.
你 會 發現 所 學 的 非常 有用 , 也 就 更 容易 牢記 不 忘 ( 牢記 不 忘 ) 。
You will find what you learn very useful, making it easier to remember (to remember clearly).
教室 並 不是 真實 的 生活 世界 。
classroom|and|is not|real|possessive particle|life|world
The classroom is not the real world of life.
真正 的 學習 , 是 置身 於 你 需要 使用 該 語言 的 實際 狀況 ,
True learning is being in a real situation where you need to use the language.
因為 你 想 要 與 別人 互通 信息 , 或是 想 要 知道 非 語言 本身 的 某些 事物 。
Because you want to communicate information with others, or you want to know certain things about the non-verbal language itself.
二零零一 年 , 我 參加 了 「 溫哥華 清華大學 校友會 」 的 聖誕 晚會 。
In 2001, I attended the Christmas party of the 'Vancouver Tsinghua University Alumni Association'.
清華 是 中國 的 MIT ( 麻省理工學院 ) ,
Tsinghua is China's MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology),
是 一 所 在 工程 與 科技 方面 具 國際 水準 的 學院 。
it is a college with international standards in engineering and technology.
該 校 的 畢業生 , 在 移居 加拿大 後 ,
The graduates of this school, after moving to Canada,
都 不同 程度 地 融入 了 加拿大 社會 。
all|different|degrees|adverbial particle|integrated|past tense marker|Canada|society
have integrated into Canadian society to varying degrees.
經常 , 他們 在 初 抵 加拿大 的 時候 , 都 一時 很 難 找到 工作 。
Often, when they first arrive in Canada, they find it very difficult to find jobs.
我 在 晚會 中 遇到 的 兩位 英語 最為 流利 的 清華 畢業生 ,
I|at|party|in|met|past tense marker|two|English|most|fluent|past tense marker|Tsinghua|graduates
The two Tsinghua graduates I met at the party,
卻 都 是 採取 很 不 尋常 的 方式 去 介入 加拿大 的 社會 。
but|all|are|adopt|very|not|usual|(possessive particle)|way|to|intervene|Canada|(possessive particle)|society
both took very unconventional approaches to engage with Canadian society.
其中 一 位 在 初 抵達 的 前 四個 月 ,
One of them, in the first four months after arriving,
在 中國 人 很少 的 Surrey 和 Delta 兩個 社區 沿 戶 推銷 產品 。
in|China|people|very few|possessive particle|Surrey|and|Delta|two|communities|along|households|selling|products
was selling products door-to-door in the communities of Surrey and Delta, where there are very few Chinese people.
之後 , 他 找到 了 一 份 較好 的 工作 ,
Later, he found a better job,
而且 僅 在 四年 期間 , 英語 就 已 講 得 十分 流暢 。
and within just four years, he was already speaking English very fluently.
另 一 位 畢業生 來到 加拿大 只有 一年 ,
Another graduate arrived in Canada only a year ago,
但 已 開 了 一家 釀製 葡萄酒 的 商鋪 ,
But he has opened a shop that brews wine,
這 使 他 有 機會 接觸 到 鄰近 一帶 的 居民 。
this|makes|him|have|opportunity|contact|to|neighboring|area|possessive particle|residents
which gives him the opportunity to connect with the local residents.
這 兩 人 從不 擔心 自己 有限 的 英語 或 高 學歷 ,
The two of them never worry about their limited English or high education,
只是 直接 介入 真實 的 世界 , 然後 很快 便 學會 了 英語 。
they just directly engage with the real world, and soon they learn English.
學習 一種 新 語言 很 可能 讓 你 心 生 膽怯 , 尤其 是 第一個 外國 語言 。
Learning a new language can easily make you feel timid, especially if it's your first foreign language.
但是 , 只要 你 按部就班 慢 慢 來 ,
However, as long as you proceed step by step and take your time,
每次 僅 向 前 進 一 小步 , 你 的 信心 就 會 增加 。
each time making just a small advance, your confidence will increase.
要 記得 , 語言 學習 , 是 一種 技能 , 而 不是 一種 知識 。
Remember, language learning is a skill, not a body of knowledge.
你 必須 對 它 習慣 。
you|must|to|it|get used to
You must get used to it.
你 不是 經由 理論 , 而是 經由 「 逐漸 變成 」 ( becoming ) 的 方式 去 學習 。
You learn not through theory, but through the process of 'becoming'.
你 不會 經常 都 表現 得 一樣 好 。
you|won't|often|always|perform|particle indicating degree|the same|well
You won't always perform as well.
這 如同 運動 , 無論 你 花 了 多少 時間 練習 ,
It's like sports; no matter how much time you spend practicing,
有些 時候 就 是 會 表現 得 比 另 一個 時候 好 。
sometimes you just perform better than at other times.
學習 語言 也 是 一樣 。
learning|language|also|is|the same
Learning a language is the same.
當 你 表現 良好 的 時候 , 不妨 為 自己 高興 一番 ,
When you perform well, it's worth celebrating yourself.
但 也 要 學習 忘記 令 你 出醜 的 時刻 。
but|also|must|learn|forget|make|you|embarrassed|possessive particle|moments
But you also need to learn to forget the moments that embarrassed you.
一旦 你 學會 了 第二 語言 , 就 會 有 信心 去 學習 另 一樣 。
Once you learn a second language, you will have the confidence to learn another.
事實上 , 你 懂得 語言 愈 多 , 你 就 會 把 它們 講 得 都 愈 好 ,
In fact, the more languages you know, the better you will speak them,
甚至 連 母語 也 都 會 跟著 進步 。
even|including|native language|also|all|will|along with|improve
and even your mother tongue will improve as well.
因為 , 當 你 學習 新 語言 的 時候 , 不但 表達 能力 會 提高 ,
Because when you learn a new language, not only will your expressive ability improve,
你 對 文字 意義 細微 差異 的 理解力 也 會 增強 。
you|towards|text|meaning|subtle|differences|possessive particle|comprehension ability|also|will|enhance
Your understanding of the subtle differences in the meaning of words will also be enhanced.
你 已 逐步 成為 語言 家 了 。
you|already|gradually|become|language|expert|past tense marker
You have gradually become a linguist.
SENT_CWT:AFkKFwvL=5.86 PAR_TRANS:gpt-4o-mini=3.92
en:AFkKFwvL
openai.2025-01-22
ai_request(all=321 err=0.00%) translation(all=267 err=0.00%) cwt(all=2931 err=3.55%)