雲裡 找門 :林懷民 (Hwai-Min Lin) at TEDxTaipei 2013
Looking for a Door in the Cloud: Hwai-Min Lin at TEDxTaipei 2013
各位朋友 大家 好
Hello everyone
我 是 林懷民
I am Lin, Hwai-Min
我 覺得 我 是 一個 滾動 的 石頭
I feel I am like a rolling stone
我 永遠 在 東張西望
Always looking around
希望 看到 一個 更 明亮 的 太陽
hoping to see a more shining sun
如果 明天 跟 今天 完全 一樣 的話
If tomorrow and today is totally the same
我 肯定 是 不要 起床 的
then I'll definitely not gonna get up
我大一 的 時候 進 了 政大念 法律系
When I was a freshman. I entered the Law Dept.
一年 後 轉到 新聞系
Then I switched to Journalism Dept one year after
到 美國 繼續 念 新聞 一個 學期 之後
and kept studying it in States. After one semester
轉到 英文系 的 小說 創作 班
I switched to the class of novel creating of English Dept.
同時 開始 跳舞
Meanwhile, I danced.
25 歲 我 回到 政 大 教書
I went back to NCCU to teach when I was 25.
大概 是 最 年輕 的 講師
The youngest lecturer I supposed
第二年 , 我給 自己 闖 了 大禍
But I got myself a trouble the coming year
我 創辦 了 「 雲門舞集 」
I created the “Cloud Gate"
( 笑聲 )
(Laughter)
( 掌聲 )
(Applause)
「 雲門 」, 是 台灣 第一個 職業 的 舞團
"Cloud Gate" is the first professional dance group.
在 這 之前 , 沒有 人以 藝術性 的
Before us, there's no one think this artistic
舞蹈 表演 能夠 安身立命
dance performance can make a living.
所以 , 大家 都 覺得
So, people was like
這個 年輕人 很 好 , 怎麼 變成 這個 樣子
this young man was fine, but what happened to him?
大家 嚇了一跳 , 同時 ,
People got shocked, and at the same time
我 的 朋友 說 : 你 頭殼 壞去 嗎 ?
my friends asked: are you insane?
我 的 父親 , 就 跟 我 說 一句 話 , 他 說 :
My father, he told me simply a sentence. He said:
「 舞蹈家 呢 , 是 所有 的 藝術家 裡面 最 偉大 的 ,
"Dancers are the greatest among the artists,
因為 他用 身體 來作 表達 , 最 辛苦 、 最難 」
since they express by body, which is the most hard part."
「 但是 ,」 他 說 ,
"But," he said,
「 跳舞 可能 是 乞丐 的 行業 啦 」
"Dancing could be beggars' job!"
十年 前 , 我 的 母親 過世 之後
Ten years ago, after my mother passed away.
我們 在 她 的 遺物 裡面 發現
We found things behind by her deceased,
有 一個 用 我 的 名字 的 存摺
and there's a bank book under my name.
裡面 有 一百多萬
There was like a million NT Dollars.
我 才 意識 到 說
Then I realized,
原來 , 三十年 過去 了 ,
after 30ish years pass,
她 始終 在 擔心 着
she was still worry about
這個 兒子 有 一天 會 餓死
her kid would die in one day with no food.
所以 她 就 省吃儉用 幫 我存 了 這個 存摺
So she pinched and scraped to have this bank book for me.
我 其他 兄弟 都 沒有
All my other brothers do have it.
為 什麼 我 做 這個 事 呢 ?
Why I am doing this dancing stuff then?
我 的 父母親 從小 要求 我們 要 服務 人群
My parents ask us to serve people when we were little
我 在 60 年代 成長
I was born in the 60's
60 年代 是 年輕人 的 世代
60's was the era of young men
披頭四 、 嬉皮
The Beatles, hippy,
年輕人 反戰 、 金恩 博士 說 : 我 有 一個 夢
anti wars, and Dr. Martin Luther King said I have a dream
那 是 一個 民權運動 的 一個 開端 、 一個 高潮
It was an era to start the civil rights movement.
他們 果然 做出 了 很多 的 事情
And they did accomplish so many successful things.
60 年代 教 我們 說 年輕人 有 責任 , 而且 有 能力
The 60s' teach young people to have responsibility and ability
來 改變 社會 來 改變 這個 世界
to change the society and the world.
我 回到 台灣 的 時候 , 遇到 一些 很 愛 跳舞 的 女孩子
When I came back to Taiwan, I met a bunch of girls who love to dance
那 我 就 說 , 台灣 人 很 喜歡 看 跳舞
then I was like, yeah Taiwanese love to see people dance
可是 沒有 自己 的團
but we don't have our own groups
我們 來 成立 自己 的團
We need to build our own groups.
說 得 很 容易 阿
You know it's easier said than done.
不過 那個 時候 , 我們 心裡 想 的 舞台
But at that moment, the stages in our imagination,
不在 紐約 、 倫敦 、 巴黎 、 莫斯科
not in New York, London, Paris, or Moscow.
我們 想 的 說 小小 十來個 人
Our imagination was, only ten ish people,
可以 到 學校 為 學生 演出
We can performance for schools
到 社區 為民眾 演出
or for people in communities.
因為 父母親 的話
Because of my parents
他們 的 警告
their waring
當 開始 的 時候 我 就 知道
I knew it at first that
這輩子 , 我 可能 不能 買 自己 的 房子
in my whole life, I could not be able to buy my own house.
但是 , 頭殼 都 壞 去 了 , 所以 就 繼續 做
But whatever, since I am insane, so just keep doing.
所以 1973 年 9 月 29 日 ,
So, 1973, September the 29th.
雲門舞集 在 台 中 中興 堂 做 創團 的 首演
When 'Cloud Gate' started its first performance in Taichung, the Chung-Hsing Hall.
今天 早上 , 我 忽然 發現
You know I just realized this morning that
今天 正是 雲門 創團 首演 的 40 週年 紀念日
today is the 40th anniversary day of the first performance
( 掌聲 )
(Applause)
謝謝
Thank you
台中演 完 了 我們 搬 到 中山堂 演
So, after the Taichung one, we moved to performance in Taipei Zhongshan Hall.
繼續 在 賣票 賣掉 三千 多張 , 外面 還有 黃牛
We kept selling like 3000 tickets, and there's even scalping tickets
大家 都 非常高興 , 我 大概 有 三個 月 完全 的 精神 崩潰
Everybody is happy. I was completely cracked up for 3 months.
因為 不止 雲門 是 一個 第一個 職業 舞團
Because not only Gate Cloud is the first professional dance group,
沒有 前例 可 緣 , 沒有 這樣 的 生態
there was no precedent, and no environment.
更 重要 的 事情 是 , 我 跳舞 就 這麼 一點點 而已
But also the most important, I just danced a little bit
我 跳舞 我 沒 編過 舞 阿
I danced but i never do choreography.
就 不 知道 在 想 什麼
Didn't even know what I was thinking
所以 我 那個 時候 就 開始 認真 地 學習 編舞
So I tried really hard to learn how to do choreography.
這麼 多 年來 , 我 從 舞者 的 身上
After so many years, I learnt from the dancers that
看到 瞭解 到 什麼 叫做 身體
I realized what is 'body'
什麼 叫做 動作
what is 'movement'
我 在 演出 的 場合 , 從 觀眾 的 反應
I learnt from the audiences' reaction that
來 學習 怎麼樣 編 有效 溝通 的 舞
how to compose a dance which help us to communicate.
但是 , 雲門 的 工作 不 只是 編舞 而已
But, Cloud Gate doesn't only do choreography.
在 這樣 的 環境 裡 , 在 70 年代 在 80 年代
In this kind of environment, the 70's the 80's.
阿 ~ 要管 人事行政 , 要 去 募款
Ugh, you need to take care of personnel matters and raise funds
對 我 來講 是 有點 艱難 的 事情
for me, it is something difficult.
出去 跟 人 伸手 、 討錢
Go ask people to give you money?
喔 ~ 我 爸爸 說過 這是 乞丐 的 行業 嘛
Oh right, my dad told me it's a beggar's job.
但是 , 我 從 一個 寫 小說 的 年輕人
But, as a young man who write novels.
忽然間 走出 書房 走出 房子
I walked out from my room from my house all of sudden
去 跟 人家 做 訴求 來 請 人家 幫忙
and go ask people's help or share money.
我 覺得 因為 我 走 出來 了
I feel since I did walk out,
像 從 這個 紅 框框 走 出來
like walk out from this red circle.
它 是 一個 很棒 的 事情 , 我 開始 跟 很多 人 打 了 照面
It is something amazing, I started to meet lots of people.
我 開始 認識 很多 人
I started to know lots of them.
當 大家 拒絕 我 的 時候
When people rejected me,
我 就 覺得 很 坦然 , 因為 我 小時候
I felt it's alright. Since I was young,
14 歲 開始 寫 小說 常常 被 退稿
like when I was 14, my novels got rejected often
這 退稿 是 應該 的 , 但是 有人 願意 幫助 你 的 時候
The rejecting of novels is fine, but if there's people helping
要 非常 的 珍惜
You need to cherish it.
那 是 一輩子 的 恩情
That will be a whole life mercy.
因為 別人 來 找 我 做 什麼 我 不 一定 會 答應 阿
Because, if people come to me, I won't usually say yes.
同時 也 要 意識 到
Also you need to know
那些 協助 跟 鼓勵 後面 的 一個 期待
the expectation behind those helping and supporting.
所以 我 就 背著 這樣 的 一個 心情 繼續 找
So I kept finding people with this thought.
阿 有時候 一天 工作 要 到 18 小時 、20 小時
Sometimes I needed to work over 18,20 hours a day.
到 今天 為止 我 差不多 工作 也 要 工作 到 16 小時
Even today I still need to work about 16 hours.
不 只是 創作
Not only composing,
也 要 學習 生活 、 學會 怎樣 變 頭腦 去 創作
learning how to live a life, and learning how to create.
但是 其他 的 事情 , 也 要 照顧 到
but also need to take care of other stuff.
為 什麼 呢 ?
Why?
因為 我 手頭上 捧 著 的
Because what I was holding,
是 許多 舞者 的 青春
is so many dancers' golden youth age.
當 他們 的 同學 都 開 了 舞蹈社
When their school mates starting their own dance studio,
買 了 汽車 、 付 了 房貸
buying cars, paying the mortgage,
開始 住進 公寓 、 大樓 的 時候
moving to the apartments or tall buildings,
他們 非常 辛苦 的
My dancers work so hard,
一天 八小時 跳舞 , 然後 收入 非常 的 微薄
they dance 8 hours a day and got little payment,
我 覺得 , 我 不能 辜負 他們
I think I couldn't make them disappointed.
而 其他 的 人 , 對 雲門 有 幫助 的 人
For others, those who helped Cloud Gate,
我 不能 , 辜負 他們 的 期待
I couldn't fail them.
也許 是 更 重要 的 , 我 覺得
Perhaps the most important, I feel,
我 不 應該 背棄 年輕 時 出發 的
I couldn't abandon the insanity
一點點 “ 頭殼壞去 ” 那樣 的 一個 想像
which came from my young age.
我 必須 去 證明 我 頭殼 沒有 壞 去
I need to go out and prove I am not insane.
我要 證明 說 是 你們 頭殼壞去 啦
Go prove that it's YOU insane!
( 掌聲 )
(Applause)
但是 雲門舞集 還是 在 1988 年 宣佈 暫停
But Cloud Gate still, press pause in 1988.
因為 我 等於 一出 了 學校 進入 社會
Since once I left school and got into the society,
所謂 進入 社會 就是 進入 雲門 這個 很 奇怪 的 一個 行業
when I said society I meant Cloud Gate this weird career.
我 就 一直 覺得 我 好像 掉 到 ,
I always feel like falling into a
我 好像 住 在 一個 洗衣機 裡面 迴旋 的 在 那邊 攪動 着
like falling into a washing machine and keep spinning
快樂 嗎 ? 沒有 想過
Am I happy? Never think about it.
但是 大概 還 可以 活下去 吧
But supposed can make a living so far
我 是 這樣 想 的
that's what I thought.
我 一直 把 自己 當作 一個
I always see myself as a
雲門 的 一個 小 齒輪 、 一個 小 棋子
small chess, or a part of gear wheel.
報紙 上 登 的 那個 林懷民 跟 得獎 的 林懷民
The Lin, Hwai-Min on newspaper or got awarded
他 不會 跟 我 一起 回家
he won't come home with me
我 還是 過我 的 日子
I still live my own life
我 是過 我 的 工作
I still work on my own job
因為 , 如果 我 把 自己 弄 得 很大 的話
Because if I become too arrogant and feel I'm some big person
也許 台灣 容不下 我
then Taiwan might not fit me anymore.
也許 , 我 離開 台灣
If I leave Taiwan,
我 不能 想像 外國 的 藝術家 是 怎樣
I can't imagine how foreign artist would do
不是 我們 在 台灣 、 在 這樣 的 時代
if it's not in Taiwan, or in this kind of era.
在 這樣 的 環境 工作
To work under this environment
我 覺得 我 是 一個 齒輪 、 小齒輪
I feel i am a gear wheel, a small one.
我 就 這樣 工作
And I just work this way.
但是 齒輪 也 會 有 疲倦 的 時候
But even gear wheel may feel tired.
因為 ,1983 年 我 創辦 了 今天 北藝大 的 舞蹈系
When 1983, I established the Dance Dept. of Taipei National Uni of the Arts.
所以 雲門 、 舞蹈系 , 蠟燭 兩頭 燒
So, Cloud Gate and Dance Dept. It's like burn the candle at both ends,
到 了 88 年 的 時候 我 發覺
And when it turned to 1988, I found that
我 完全 的 力竭
I was completely exhausted.
同時 我要 必須 面對 的 是
Meanwhile i need to face that
資深 的 舞者 , 當年 餓著 肚子 一起 跳舞 、 創團 的 舞者
the elder dancers, those who dance and start the group and starving together ones
他們 結婚 了 、 有 孩子 了
they got married and having kids
我 不 知道 如何 安頓 他們 的 下半生
I didn't know how to make them settle down in the rest of the life
那麼 , 我要 面對 我 自己
then, I need to face to myself,
當我 這麼 忙碌 , 我還 能夠 編出 更好 的 舞 嗎
when I was this busy already, can I compose better dancing?
所以 ,1986 年 我 決定 把 雲門 暫停
Hense, I decided to stop the Cloud Gate in 1986.
88 年 宣佈 的 時候 , 整個 社會 也 惋惜
When we announced in 1988, the society feels pity.
惋惜 的 聲音
Everyone feels pity for us.
可是 我 覺得 把 雲門 停掉
But somehow I think, to stop Cloud Gate,
是 我 一輩子 裡面 最好 的 作品 之一
is one of my best done in my life.
因為 你 面對 了 、 你 反省 了
Because you face it, you introspect it
你 知道 你 不行 了
and then you know you just couldn't handle it.
所以 我們 用 了 兩年 的 時間 , 來 執行 這個 暫停 的 計劃
So, we've spent two years to do this 'pause' project.
安頓 了 資深 的 舞者
We settled those elder dancers down
讓 他們 找到 新 的 工作
and find them new jobs.
安排 年輕 的 舞者 到 美國 繼續 學習
We arranged young dancers to keep learning in America.
當 雲門 停掉 的 時候
When Cloud Gate stopped,
雲門 手頭上 有 八國 的 邀約
there was inviting from eight other countries.
從來 沒有 這麼 多
We never have that much inviting before,
但是 不足 惋惜
but still, nothing to feel regret.
因為 八國 邀約 只不過 是 坐 了 很 多次 飛機
Since for us, those inviting just means lots of airplanes taking,
下來 一樣 沒有 錢 、 人 更累 所以 就 停掉 了
once we left we still have no money and even more tiring.
1990 年 我 從 美國 回到 台北 第二天
Then 1990. The day right after I came back Taipei from US.
一個 計程車 司機 問我 說
A taxi driver asked me:
雲門 為 什麼 停掉 了 ?
"Why Cloud Gate close?"
我 說 , 表演藝術 在 台灣 是 很 難 的
I said: "Because it's hard to promote performance art in Taiwan."
我 就 告訴 他 很多很多 的 事
And I told him a lot of difficulties.
他 表示 他 的 理解 跟 同情
He expressed his understand and sympathy as well.
但是 , 我要 下車 前
But before I got off his car,
他 跟 我 說 : 林 老師 阿
He said to me : "Teacher Lin,"
在 台北 這樣 的 混亂 的 交通 裡頭 討生活 , 也 不好過
"It's hard to make a living in Taipei this chaotic traffic,too."
每個 行業 都 有 它 艱難 的 地方
All jobs have their difficulties.
他 說 台灣 需要 有 雲門舞集
He told me that Taiwan needs Cloud Gate.
他 車子 開 的 時候 他 喊 : 林 老師 加油 !
And when he left, he yelled: Come on! You can do it!
我 站 在 路邊
I stood there,
非常 的 , 羞愧
felt very ashamed.
因為 這裡面 , 不 只是 自己 背棄 了 出發 的
Because what I abandoned, is not only
那 一點 對 自己 的 想像 和 期待
a little bit of self expatiation,
也 背棄 了 許多 支持 雲門 的 人
but also people who support Cloud Gate,
背棄 了 年輕 時代
abandon those young age time,
覺得 要 去 服務 的 基層 的 民眾
those people who feel they need to do volunteer services.
1991 年 雲門 復出
1991, the Cloud Gate return.
這個 時候 我們 發現
We found this moment,
再度 肯定 , 我 自己 再度 肯定
it's a kind of self-affirmation that
這是 最好 的 作品
this is the best work.
因為 雲門 的 暫停 , 成為 復出 後 的 雲門 最大 的 資產
Because of the 'pause,' the return becomes our biggest property.
在 離開 雲門 的 三 年間
During the 3 years of leaving,
我 在 東南亞 逛來逛去
I was wondering in East South Asia,
豐富 了 我 的 視野 、 豐富 我 的 人生
to enrich my eyesight and also my life.
我們 的 技術 總監 林克華 先生 到 耶魯 深造
Our technical director Lin go study in Yale.
行政 總監 溫慧玟 小姐 到 美國 去 拿 了 個 MFA( 藝術創作 碩士 )
Our CEO Miss Wen got a MFA from states.
回來 的 時候 我們 不是 熱情 的 、 頭殼壞去 的 年輕人
When we came back, we are not those insane young guys anymore
我們 好像 成熟 一點
We seem grew up a bit.
我們 好像 有 一點點 專業 的 概念
We seem have somehow a more professional concept.
同時 , 最 偉大 的 事情 是
And, the greatest thing is,
解散 都 解散 了
there's nothing to scared we can break it up again!
了不起 再 解散 一次 就 完 了 嘛 有 什麼 好怕 的
所以 復出 的 雲門 希望 朝著 整個 永續 的 方 向來 走
so the return Cloud Gate want to work it as a sustainable way.
而 這個 時候 台灣 的 經濟 發展 的 一個 狀況
And this time the economic society in Taiwan,
企業界 也 開始 幫 雲門 的 忙
the enterprises try to help.
所以 今天 在 創團 的 40 年 後
So,today, after 40 years since we started.
「 雲門 二 」 深入 偏鄉 小城
the Cloud Gate 2 entered those obscure villages
去 演出 , 在 大學 裡頭 駐校
to act, to stay in those universities
而 在 國泰 金融機構 的 支持 下
And under supporting of Cathy Financial Holding,
雲門 做 戶外 公演 18 年
We've been doing out door performance for 18 years.
每 一場 觀眾 至少 三萬
Each show we got 30,000 audiences at least.
然後 有 的 到 了 八萬
Some of them even got 80,000 audiences.
這是 全世界 最大 的 一個 舞蹈 的 演出
This was the biggest dancing performance of the world.
秩序井然 , 離開 的 時候
But when people leaving,
廣場 上 沒有 一張 紙屑
there was no litter in the field.
台灣 人 是 很棒 的
Taiwanese people are amazing.
那 這裡面 也 代表 着 一個 大家 對
And it shows,
一個 精神 生活 的 需求
people's demanding of spiritual life.
我 覺得 我要 做 得 更好
I feel I need to do better.
在 國外 常常 有人 問我 說
When I was staying overseas, people asked:
你 到 偏鄉 去 演出 、 你 到 南部 到 台東
"You act in those villages, you went to south or east Taiwan,
去 演出 的 時候 , 你 是不是 推 另外 一個 節目
do you perform another show for them?"
不是 的
No.
一樣 的 節目 , 是 在 紐約 、 莫斯科 跟 巴黎 演出
The same show act in NewYork, Moscow, and Paris.
因為 台灣 就 這麼 大
And Taiwan is this big only.
我 必須 說 , 我 的 90 年代 以後
I must say, after 90s'
國際 上 一直 越來越 覺得 我 是 一個 好 的 編舞家
people think I am a good choreographer around the world
我 是 這 幾萬 的 觀眾 訓練 出來 的
I got trained by those thousands of audiences.
為 什麼 呢 ?
Why is that?
因為 全 天下 沒有 不好 的 觀眾
Because, there is no bad audience.
只有 不好 的 演出
There's only bad performance.
在 戶外 的 這樣 的 幾萬人 的 場合 裡頭
Especially in this kind of out door field,
如果 你 不是 拿出 讓 他 目不轉睛 的 作品 的話
if you don't offer an overwhelming show,
小朋友 就 開始 鬧
kids will start to bug adults,
大人 就 走掉
and those adults would walk away.
我要 把 他 耗 在 那裡
I need to keep them there.
所以 他們 給我 最大 的 考驗
So it's them, became my biggest challenge.
所以 , 只要 是 能夠 通得過 戶外 演出 的 幾萬 觀眾 的話
So I figured, if we can pass the test from the outdoor audiences,
我 想 紐約時報 也 要 買單 囉
then even New York Times would love the shows.
是 的
Yes,
我 是 這些 基層 的 觀眾 , 訓練 出來 的
I got trained by these blue collar, white collar audiences.
今年 四月 的 時候
This April
我 參加 大甲 媽祖 的 繞境
I joined the Da Jia Matsu Incense-Carrying Pilgrimage.
在 西洲 , 在 一個 早上 三點鐘 ,
Near Shi-Chou, about 3 in the morning
一位 農村 的 婦人 出來 , 拉著 我 的 手
a rural lady came out, she hold my hands,
跟 我 說 : 多謝 你 美麗 藝術
and said: "Thanks for your beautiful art"
謝謝 你 美麗 的 藝術
Thanks for your beautiful art
一句 話 , 從 基層 的 朋友 講 出來
A sentence, came from a blue collar lady.
我 覺得 , 阿 ~40 年 的 辛苦
I feel, although it's a 40 years hard working,
可是 能夠 求魚 得魚
if we got what we asked for,
能夠 這樣 子 的 把 頭髮 白掉
and becoming old like this
是 一件 幸福 的 事情
then, it is happiness.
前 幾年 , 我 到 印度
Couples years ago, I went to India
菩提伽耶 去 朝聖 , 那 是 佛祖 得 道 的 地方
made pilgrimage in Buddha-gayā, where Buddha became an immortal
菩提樹 枝葉扶蘇 大概 就是 這個 天堂 這麼 大
The branches and leafs of peepul tree are so well-spaced, like this heaven.
廟 關門 的 時候 我 走 出來
I left when the temple's closing,
忽然間 後面 有 個人 問我 說
and all of sudden, there's a man behind me asked,
你 是 台灣來 的 嗎
"Are you from Taiwan?"
我 回頭一看 , 是 個 喇嘛
I turned to see, oh, it's a lama.
可是 一口 漂亮 的 普通話
He speaks a wonderful mandarin.
我 請 他 到 路邊 的 茶桌 去 喝茶
I took him to have some tea on the road.
他 告訴 我 , 他 山東人
He told me he's from Shandong, China.
為 了 想當 喇嘛
For being a lama,
就 幾年 的 時間 打工 , 到 了 拉薩
he spent couple years working and got Lhasa.
在 廟裡頭 幫忙
He is doing helping in the temples,
然後 , 他 想見 達賴喇嘛
later on, he wanted to meet Dalai Lama,
他 就 從 拉薩 往 尼泊爾 走
so he waled to Nepal from Lhasa
然後 到 了 邊界 被 解放軍 抓 回去
and got caught when he arrived the boundary.
關 了 一年 , 放 出來 他 繼續 走
He was in prison for one year and when he discharged he kept walking
又 被 抓 回去 關 了 一年 多
got caught again and put into prison for another one ish year.
他 第三次 偷渡 成功 , 到 了 達蘭薩拉
Finally he's success on the third time and arriving Dharmsāla.
他 見到 了 達賴喇嘛
He saw Dalai Lama in the end.
我問 他 說 , 然後 你 現在 要 做 什麼
Then I asked him, "What are you going to do now?"
他 說 : 我 想 回 西藏
He said: " I want to go back to Tibet."
我 說 , 阿 你 那次 不是 已經 被 人 抓 起來 了
I was like "but didn't you got caught by them if you reach there?"
被 抓 起來 再關 起來
to got caught and then be put in prison.
他 說 : 在 哪裡 都 是 一樣 的
But he replied: "It's all the same wherever we stay."
我 離開 他 之後 , 回過 頭去
When I left, I turned around to see him,
我 看 他 把 桌子 清一清 , 在 樹下
He was cleaning the table under the tree.
印度 的 一月 的 寒冬
The January in India is freezing,
他 躺下去 , 把 那個 袈裟 一披
but he lay down and put on his kasaya.
他 睡覺 了
He's ready to sleep there.
在 哪裡 都 一樣
It's all the same wherever we stay.
原來 , 他 對 自己 的 那個 ‘ 我 ' 的 慾望 降到 最低 的 時候
When he minimize the desire toward himself,
沒有 不 可能
there's nothing impossible.
人生 , 沒有 任何 的 限制
for life, there's no limit.
年輕 的 時候
When we are young,
去 撞擊 、 去 認識 自己
we need to go strike and to know more about ourselves,
檢討 、 反省 、 往前走
to keep doing self-examination and keep walking.
是 的 , 人生 不 設限
Yes, no limit for life.
除非 , 你給 自己 製造 障礙
Unless you are making obstacles for yourselves.
今天 很 高興 見到 很多 的 年輕 朋友
Today it's a pleasure to meet so many young friends here,
今天 很 高興 見到 很多 的 年輕 朋友
Today it's a pleasure to meet so many young friends here,
也許 是 另外 一個 , 但是 我們 相信
maybe it's another but we need to believe that
每 一個 時代 都 有 他 的 限制
all the era has its own limit,
可是 那個 限制 是 你 主觀 的 認定
but that limit depends on your own subjectively.
不是 外面 加諸 於 你 的
It's not from outsiders.
最後 我 想 告訴 年輕 的 朋友 們
So, I am going to tell you young people this in the end:
年輕 的 另外 一個 名字 叫做 : 勇敢
the other title of 'young', is called 'brave.'
不要 害怕
Never be afraid.
( 掌聲 )
(Applause)
謝謝
Thank you.