2.5. 我 的 语言 探索 历程 : 在家 的 语言 探索
|||exploration|||||
2.5 Meine Reise zur Sprachentdeckung: Sprachentdeckung zu Hause
2.5. My Language Exploration Journey: Language Exploration at Home
2.5. Mi viaje de exploración lingüística: la exploración lingüística en casa
2.5. il mio viaggio di esplorazione linguistica: l'esplorazione linguistica in casa
2.5. 私の言語探求の旅:家庭での言語探求
**不 出 户 , 知 天下 ; 不 窥 牖 , 见 天道 。**
||door|know|the world|not|peek|window||the way of heaven
----- 老子
Laozi
======
当 你 有 机会 生活 于 正在 学习 的 语言 环境 里 , 学 起来 总是 最 容易 。
When you have the opportunity to live in a language learning environment, it is always easier to learn.
但是 , 在 真实 的 世界 里 , 新 语言 还是 很难 让 人 立刻 领会 出 意思 来 。
||the real|||||||||||grasp||meaning|
However, in the real world, new languages are still difficult for people to immediately grasp the meaning.
人们 有时 说 得 太快 , 或是 所用 的 词汇 很难 让 一般 非 母语 的 人 理解 。
||||||||vocabulary||||||||
Sometimes people speak too fast, or the vocabulary used is difficult for non-native speakers to understand.
在 某些 情况 下 , 你 会 因为 自己 讲得 不够 流利 而 迟疑 着 不敢 开口 。
||||||||||||hesitate||dare not|speak
In some cases, you may hesitate to speak because you feel not fluent enough.
这 都 很 可能 造成 压迫 感 。
|||||oppression|
This can lead to a feeling of oppression.
在 这种 情形 下 , 我 发现 建立 一个 属于 自己 的 语言 世界 十分 有用 。
||situation||||||belong to||||||very useful
In this situation, I find it very helpful to establish a language world of my own.
一个 富有 意义 和 内容 的 语言 世界 ,
A meaningful and content-rich language world
能 让 自己 在 没有 什么 压力 之 下去 专心 聆听 和 阅读 。
||||||pressure||||||
allows oneself to focus on listening and reading without much pressure.
一直 到 我 熟练 了 日语 , 甚至 当 我 在 日本 工作 的 时候 ,
continuously|||become proficient||||||||||
Until I became proficient in Japanese, even when I was working in Japan,
我 都 想 办法 去 寻找 一些 更高 程度 的 日语 读物 ,
|||||||||||reading materials
I always tried to find some higher level Japanese reading materials,
不但 内容 要 有 意义 , 而且 附有 字 词表 可以 阅读 。
not only||||||attached with||word list||
Not only should the content be meaningful, but also include a vocabulary list for reference.
我 也 常 反复 聆听 一些 有趣 的 录音带 ,
|||repeatedly|||||tape recordings
I also often listen repeatedly to some interesting audio recordings.
好 让 自己 在 运用 某些 特定 的 词汇 或 词组 时 , 能 更 有 信心 。
||||using||||vocabulary|or|word groups||||have|
So that I can have more confidence when using certain specific vocabulary or phrases.
即使 我 对 某个 语言 已 讲 得 相当 通顺 , 仍然 随时 维持 听力 的 训练 ,
||||||||quite|fluent|||maintain|||
Even if I already speak a language quite fluently, I still maintain listening training at all times.
不时 聆听 一些 有趣 的 材料 , 通常 是 利用 开车 、 运动 、 或是 做 家务 杂事 的 时间 。
|||interesting materials|||||||exercise||||miscellaneous tasks||
From time to time, I listen to some interesting materials, usually during driving, exercising, or doing household chores.
现在 , 愈来愈多 高品质 的 有声 书籍 可以 让 你 随时 享用 ,
|more and more|high quality||audio|||||at any time|enjoy
Now, more and more high-quality audiobooks are available for you to enjoy at any time.
只要 你 有 一个 携带式 的 收听 设备 。
||||portable|||
As long as you have a portable listening device.
就 像 我 在 前面 已经 提到 的 , 学习 电子版 的 文章 对 学习者 有 许多 好处 。
|||||||||electronic version|||||||
As I mentioned earlier, studying electronic versions of articles has many benefits for learners.
许多 的 语言 学习 产品 都 是 建立 在 互动 式 的 电子 文字 的 基础 上 。
|||||||||interactive||||text|||
Many language learning products are built on the basis of interactive electronic text.
我 喜欢 时常 在 网络 上 用 外语 阅读 。
||often|||on|use||read
I enjoy reading in a foreign language online often.
我 用 语言 家 系统 来 增加 我 的 词汇量 ,
|||||||||vocabulary size
I use the language learning system to increase my vocabulary.
并且 还 储存 了 许多 文章 成为 我 个人 不断 增加 的 语言 图书馆 的 一部分 ,
||stored||||||||increased|||||
Furthermore, it also stores many articles to become part of my constantly growing language library,
假如 你 并 不在 讲 母语 的 环境 中 学习 一种 新 语言,
If you are not learning a new language in an environment where your native language is spoken,
建立 起 这样 的 一个 属于 自己 的 语言 世界 , 就 变得 十分 重要 。
It becomes very important to establish such a language world that belongs to you.
这 就是 我 过去 二十多 年 来 在 温哥华 一直 努力 的 事 ----
||||twenty plus||||||||thing
This is what I have been working hard on in Vancouver for over twenty years -
把 我 先前 曾经 接触 过 , 却 不能 讲得 通顺 的 语言 , 都 找出 时间 加以 改进 。
||previously||contact||||||||||||improvement
Find time to improve the languages I have previously encountered but cannot speak fluently.
**=== 不同 的 世界 ===**
=== Different Worlds ===
当 我 居住 在 香港 的 时候 , 那 并 不是 讲 普通话 的 环境 。
||lived|||||||||||environment
When I lived in Hong Kong, it was not a Mandarin-speaking environment.
但是 我 注意 聆听 并 阅读 一些 数量 有限 的 读物 :
But I pay attention to listening and reading a limited number of materials:
历史 和 文化 方面 的 书籍 、 现代 文学 、 还有 相声 一类 的 录音带 等 。
|||||books||||||||
books on history and culture, modern literature, as well as recordings of cross talk.
这些 都 成 了 我 的 老朋友 ,
All of these have become my old friends,
提供 我 在 必要 时 能够 派上用场 的 各种 字汇 与 词句 。
||||||be useful|||vocabulary||phrases
providing me with various vocabulary and phrases that I can use when necessary.
事实上 , 与 想象 中 的 世界 沟通 , 要 比 与 真实 的 世界 沟通 来得 容易 。
||||||communicate|||||||||
In fact, communicating with the imaginary world is easier than communicating with the real world.
因为 不但 材料 立即 可 得 , 而且 听令 我 的 控制 。
|||immediately available|can|||obey orders|||control
Not only are the materials immediately available, but they are also under my control.
这个 可以 让 我 随心所欲 探索 的 友善 世界 ,
||||freely||||
This friendly world that allows me to explore freely,
是 我 在 与 母语 使用者 沟通 之前 能 有 充分准备 的 重要 泉源 与 支柱 。
||||||||||sufficient preparation|||important source||pillar
is an important source and pillar for me to be fully prepared before communicating with native speakers.
1512 年 , 尼可拉 • 马基维利 (1469 – 1527),
|Niccolò Machiavelli|Machiavelli
In 1512, Niccolò Machiavelli (1469-1527),
意大利 著名 历史学家 与 政治 哲学 家 。
|famous|historian||||
an Italian renowned historian and political philosopher,
被 美地奇 家族 ( 意大利 银行 与 政治 世家 ,统治 佛罗伦斯 达 三 世纪 之 久 )
|Medici|family|||||noble family|ruled|Florence|to||||
was employed by the ruling Medici family (an Italian banking and political dynasty that ruled Florence for three centuries)
监禁 、 拷刑 了 一 短暂 时 期 之后 ,
imprisonment|torture|||brief period|||
After a short period of imprisonment and torture, he retired to a village outside Florence.
退居 到 佛罗伦斯 城外 的 一处 村舍 。
retreat to||Florence|outside the city||a place|cottage
Retreating to a cottage outside the city of Florence.
白天 的 时候 , 他 与 当地 居民 闲谈 或 玩 纸牌 ,
|||||||chatting||play cards|playing cards
During the day, he chatted with the local residents or played cards.
到 了 晚上 , 他 换上 正式 的 服装 , 退隐 到 自己 的 书房 里 ,
||||changed into|formal attire||formal attire|retreat|||||
In the evening, he changed into formal attire and retreated to his study.
通过 书籍 与 古代 的 历史学家 沟通 ,
|||||historian|
Communicating with ancient historians through books,
写下 了 西方 文学史 上 的 经典 之 作 : 君王 论 。
|||History of Western Literature||||||The Prince|
wrote the classic work in the history of Western literature: The Prince.
这是 我们 能够 藉由 阅读 或 聆听 , 而 与 另 一个 文化 沟通 的 例子 ,
||can|by means of|||||||||||
This is an example of how we can communicate with another culture through reading or listening.
即使 我们 并 没有 与 当 地 人民 有 什么 日常 的 接触 。
even if||||||||||||
Even though we do not have any daily contact with the local people.
当 我 居住 在 温哥华 的 时候 , 已 年 过 四十 ,
When I was living in Vancouver, I was already over forty,
バンクーバーに住んでいた頃、私は40歳を過ぎていたが、それでもドイツ語、スウェーデン語、イタリア語の勉強をかなり進めることができた。
仍 能够 在 学习 德语 、 瑞典语 、 和 意大利语 各 方面 都 有 相当 不错 的 进展 。
still|||||||Italian||aspects|||quite a bit|||
I am still able to make quite good progress in learning German, Swedish, and Italian.
我 对 这些 语言 虽然 有过 接触 , 但 离 通顺 或 自信 还 颇 有 一段 距离 。
||||although|||||fluent||||quite|||distance
Although I have had some exposure to these languages, I am still quite a distance away from fluency or confidence.
对 每 一 种 语言 , 我 都 努力 集中 精神 去 聆听 那些 我 已 明白 的 有声 教材 ,
||||||||focus|spirit||||||||audio materials|
For each language, I strive to concentrate and listen to the audio materials that I already understand.
并 阅读 列有 字词 表 的 书籍 (词表)。
||contains|word list|list||books|
And read books that have vocabulary lists.
在 家里 , 我 至少 有 五十 本 关于 德语 、 意大利语 、 西班牙语 及 瑞典语 等 的 读本 。
|||||fifty|||||||Swedish|||
At home, I have at least fifty readers on German, Italian, Spanish, and Swedish, among others.
这些 读本 都 列有 字词 表 , 可 免去 我 查阅 字典 的 麻烦 。
||||||can|eliminate||look up|||
These readers all have vocabulary lists, which save me the trouble of consulting a dictionary.
可惜 的 是 , 这些 读本 的 内容 并 不 十分 引 人 , 却是 我 仅 能 找到 的 材料 了 。
||||||||||attractive|||||||||
Unfortunately, the content of these readers is not very engaging, but it is the only material I could find.
我 那时 必须 费尽 力气 才能 做到 的 , 如今 都 变得 更 容易 、 也 更 有效率 了 。
|||exert all effort|effort||||||||||||
What I had to struggle to achieve back then has now become easier and more efficient.
利用 现代 的 科技 , 大 量 的 内容 可以 立即 变成 有用 的 教材 。
With modern technology, a large amount of content can be immediately transformed into useful teaching materials.
你 可以 依 自己 的 兴趣 找到 材料 , 然后 从中 学习 。
You can find materials based on your interests and then learn from them.
如今 , 独立 的 学习者 是 要 比 过往 的 学习者 更 独立 得 多 。
|||||||past||independent learners||||
Nowadays, independent learners are much more independent than learners in the past.
**=== 德语 ===**
=== German ===
我 的 德语 水平 在 一般 以 德语 为 母语 的 人 听 来 , 是 相当 不错 的 了 。
|possessive particle|||||||||||||||pretty good||
My German level is quite good for someone who speaks German as their mother tongue.
无论是 普通 交谈 , 或是 聆听 收音机 及 阅读 报纸 , 都 没有 什么 困难 。
whether it is||||||||||||
Whether it's ordinary conversations, listening to the radio, or reading newspapers, there are no difficulties.
虽然 我 在 年幼 的 时候 曾 在 家中 接触 过 德语 ,
|||young age||||||||
Although I was exposed to German at home when I was young,
但 后来 在 德国 船上 工作 , 也 在 维也纳 的 建筑工地 上 打工 ,
||||||||Vienna||construction site||
But later I worked on a ship in Germany and also did manual labor on construction sites in Vienna.
但 无法 让 一般 的 交谈 持续 多久 。
|||||conversation|last long|
But I couldn't make ordinary conversations last long.
一九八六 年 十一月 , 我 决定 花 一 整个 月 的 时间 好好 学习 德语 。
1986|||||||||possessive particle||||
In November 1986, I decided to spend an entire month learning German properly.
我 到 许多 温哥华 的 旧书店 去 寻找 附有 字 词表 的 德语 读本 。
|||||used bookstore|||with vocabulary list|||||
I went to many used bookstores in Vancouver to look for German readers with vocabulary lists.
我 至少 买 了 十 或 十五 本 这样 的 书 , 还有 各式 的 录音带 ,
||||||||||||various types||tapes
I bought at least ten or fifteen such books, along with various audio tapes,
那些 旧书 上面 都 涂满 了 原用者 潦草 的 笔迹 。
|old books|||covered with||original owner|careless handwriting||handwriting
Those old books were all covered in the messy handwriting of the original users.
一 整个 月 , 靠着 字 词表 的 帮 忙 , 我 专心 阅读 与 聆听 录音带 。
For an entire month, with the help of the vocabulary list, I focused on reading and listening to audiotapes.
果然 不错 , 我 的 德语 有 了 显著 的 进步 ,
as expected|not bad||||||significant||
Indeed, my German has made significant progress.
而 随后 的 德国 之行 也 让 我 更 进 一层 , 但 却是 十分 辛苦 的 工作 。
||||||||||||||hard work||
The subsequent trip to Germany also took me a step further, but it was very hard work.
德文 的 名词 有 三种 性别 , 字尾 会 随着 「 格 」 而 改变
German nouns||||||word ending|||case||change
German nouns have three genders, and the endings change according to the case.
( 即 名词 、 代名词 等 的 字形 变化 )。
|Noun|pronoun|||character form|
(That is, the morphological changes of nouns, pronouns, etc.).
这 在 讲话 的 时候 很难 掌握 , 只有 反复 聆听 才能 让 我 应付 这个 难题 ,
||||||grasp|||||||cope with||difficult problem
This is hard to grasp while speaking; only through repeated listening can I handle this difficulty,
而 不是 靠 任何 语法 说明 或 字词 表 。
|||||explanation|||
rather than relying on any grammar explanations or word lists.
我 依着 自己 所 听到 的 去 讲 , 然后 期盼 有 最佳 效果 出现 。
|||||||||hope for||best effect|best effect|
I speak according to what I've heard, and then hope for the best results to appear.
我 的 德语 讲得 相当 自然 流畅 , 但 不 否认 在 语法 方面 还 不是 很 完美 。
||||||fluent|||not deny|||||||
My German is quite natural and fluent, but I won't deny that it's still not perfect in terms of grammar.
我 从 不用 去 通过 什么 德语 考试 , 却 已 使用 这个 语言 处理 了 不少 商务 。
||||||||||||||||business
I have never had to take any German exams, yet I have used this language to handle quite a bit of business.
我 也 到 过 德国 一些 很 不 错 的 中 古城镇 旅游 ,
|||||||||||ancient towns|
I have also visited some really nice medieval towns in Germany for tourism.
坐在 餐馆 里 与 当地人 用 德语 交谈 了 不 短 的 时间 。
I sat in a restaurant and chatted in German with the locals for quite some time.
我 知道 自己 常 把 名词 的 性别 和 格 弄错 , 但 我 并 不 因此 而 退缩 。
|||||||gender|with|case||||||||shrink back
I know that I often confuse the gender and case of nouns, but I do not shy away because of this.
相反 的 , 我 知道 自己 如果 要 提高 使用 语法 的 正确性 ,
on the contrary|||||||||||grammatical accuracy
On the contrary, I know that if I want to improve the accuracy of my grammar usage,
我 必须 多 听 、 多读 , 也 可以 参考 语法 书籍 以 加深 我 的 印象 。
||||read more|||||||deepen|||
I must listen and read more, and I can also refer to grammar books to deepen my impression.
但 假如 没有 许多 实际 的 语言 经 验 ,
|||||||experience|test
But if you do not have much practical language experience,
只 孤立 地 学习 那些 格 或 性别 , 是 无法 改进 实际 会话 中 碰到 的 语法 问题 。
|isolated||||grammar patterns|or|gender|||||conversation||||grammar issues|isolated learning
learning those structures or genders in isolation will not improve the grammatical issues encountered in real conversations.
**=== 意大利语 ===**
=== Italian ===
对 已经 熟悉 西班牙语 及 法语 的 人 来说 ,意大利语 就 显得 容易 多 了 。
For those who are already familiar with Spanish and French, Italian seems much easier.
对 已经 熟悉 西班牙语 及 法语 的 人 来说 , 意大利语 就 显得 容易 多 了 。
For those who are already familiar with Spanish and French, Italian seems much easier.
密集 的 听力 训练 和 阅读 , 很快 就 能 让 我 的 意大利语 派上用场 。
|||||||||||||come in handy
Intensive listening practice and reading can quickly make my Italian useful.
可惜 的 是 , 我 很少 有 机会 使用 ,
Unfortunately, I rarely have the opportunity to use it.
但 我 一直 很 高兴 在 观赏 意大利 影片 的 时候 ,
||||||||Italian films||
But I have always been very happy when watching Italian films,
能 听得懂 剧中人 在 说些 什么 。
||characters in the play|||
because I can understand what the characters are saying.
我 也 打算 在 有空时 多 买 些 意大利 的 电子书 和 有声 书籍 来 阅读 。
||||when I have free time|||||||||||
I also plan to buy more Italian e-books and audiobooks to read when I have time.
意大利语 是 音乐 与 爱情 的 语言 。
Italian is the language of music and love.
虽然 意大利语 以 美丽 优雅 著称 , 但 我 发现 ,
||||elegance|renowned for|||
Although Italian is known for its beauty and elegance, I have found that,
在 经过 学习 并 开始 懂得 其中 意义 之后 , 所有 的 语言 都 是 美丽 的 。
|||and||||||||||||
After studying and beginning to understand its meaning, all languages are beautiful.
当 一种 语言 被 表达 得 很 好 , 它 就 具有 自己 独 特 的 风采 与 美丽 。
|||||||||||||||charm and beauty||
When a language is expressed very well, it has its own unique charm and beauty.
我 一向 欣赏 人 把 一种 语言 讲得 很 好 , 用字 得当 而且 清楚 明了 ,
|always|||||||||word choice||||clear and concise
I have always admired people who speak a language very well, using appropriate words and being clear and precise.
还 能 引经据典 , 充分 表达 该 语言 的 历史 与 文化 。
|can|citing classics|fully|||||||
They can also quote classics and fully express the history and culture of that language.
在 学习 意大利语 的 时候 ,
When learning Italian,
你 很 难 不 联想到 意大利 在 文化 上 对 欧洲 及 全世界 的 巨大 贡 献 。
||||associate with|||||||||||contribution|
It's hard not to associate Italy with its significant cultural contributions to Europe and the world.
但是 , 意大利 是 文化 的 创造者 , 它 更是 文化 的 传播者 。
|||||creator|||||disseminator
However, Italy is not only a creator of culture, but also a disseminator of culture.
希腊 , 这个 由 其它 更 古老 的 地中海 文化 所 激发 而成 的 火花 ,
||||||||||sparked by|spark||spark
才 是 罗马 的 伟大 导师 。
|||||mentor
Only is the great teacher of Rome.
罗马 人 很 敬重 希腊 文化 , 他们 在 自己 的 神话 里面 ,
|||respect||||||||
The Romans greatly respect Greek culture, they in their own mythology,
设法 把 自 己 的 祖先 远溯 到 特洛伊 城 的 伊匿亚斯 。
||||||trace back||Troy|||Aeneas
managed to trace their own ancestors back to Aeneas of the city of Troy.
( 希腊 罗马 神话 中 特洛伊 城 的 英雄 。
||||Troy|||
( The hero of Troy in Greek and Roman mythology.
他 在 特洛伊 城 陷落 之后 ,逃 出 城外 流浪 了 七年 , 最后 在 罗马城 附近 定居 下来 )。
||||fall of Troy||||||||||Rome|||
After the fall of Troy, he escaped the city and wandered for seven years, finally settling near Rome).
但 这个 神话 像 许多 起源 神话 一样 , 并 不是 真的 。
|||||origin|||||
But this myth, like many origin myths, is not true.
罗马 的 法律 、 文学 、 及 许多 巨大 公共 建设 等 珍贵 遗产 ,
||||||||construction||precious heritage|heritage
都 是 西方 文明史 上 重要 的 标记 。
|||the history of Western civilization||||important markers
They are all important markers in the history of Western civilization.
在 罗马帝国 崩 溃 很 久 (以后)之后 ,
||collapsed|collapse|very|long time||
Long after the fall of the Roman Empire,
意大利 的 文化 天赋 再度 于 许多 城邦 之中 活跃 起来 。
||||again|||city-states||flourished|
the cultural talents of Italy became active again among many city-states.
历史 总是 显示 , 异质 接触 所 激发 出来 的 影响 是 无与伦比 的 。
|always||heterogeneity|contact|||||||unparalleled|
History always shows that the influence sparked by heterogeneous contact is unparalleled.
威尼斯 的 辉煌成就 是 由于 它 的 海上 优势 , 及 接触 了 拜占庭 和 东方 的 文化 。
Venice||brilliant achievements|||||maritime|maritime advantage||||Byzantine Empire||||
The glorious achievements of Venice were due to its maritime advantages and its contact with Byzantine and Eastern cultures.
同样 的 , 像 热那亚 ( 意大利 西北部 的 重要 港 都 )、
similarly|||Genoa||northwestern part|||port|all
Similarly, cities like Genoa (an important port city in northwest Italy),
及 塔斯卡尼 区 ( 意大利 中部 的 大 行政区 , 首府 是 佛罗伦斯 )
and|Tuscany||||||administrative district|capital city||Florence
and Tuscany (a major administrative region in central Italy, with Florence as its capital)
一些 外贸 发达 的 城市 , 包括 与 回教 世界 的 贸易 在内 ,
|foreign trade||||||Islam|||trade|
Some cities with developed foreign trade, including trade with the Islamic world,
都 使 他们 能 在 中古世纪 的 早期 迅速 崛起 ,
|||||the Middle Ages||early||
enabled them to rise rapidly in the early medieval period.
终 而 导致 了 意大利 的 文艺复兴 。
end||led to||Italy||Renaissance
Ultimately led to the Renaissance in Italy.
**=== 广东话 ===**
=== Cantonese ===
由于 在 温哥华 有 许多 人 讲 广东话 ,
Because there are many people who speak Cantonese in Vancouver,
所以 我 在 五十岁 之后 , 也 决定 要 学习 这个 语言 。
I decided to learn this language after I turned fifty.
我 同 妻子 的 中国 亲戚 们 在 一起 的 时候 , 总是 听见 他们 讲些 广东话 ,
|||||relatives|||||||||speak some|
When I’m with my wife's Chinese relatives, I always hear them speaking Cantonese,
但是 , 我 的 能力 仅 止于 在 餐馆 里 点菜 , 甚至 在 那里 还 常常 出错 。
|||||limited to||||||||||
However, my ability is limited to ordering food in restaurants, and I often make mistakes there.
但是 我 从不 因为 缺乏 语言 知识 感到 不好意思 。
||||||language knowledge||
But I never feel embarrassed about my lack of language knowledge.
有次 在 餐馆 里 , 我 想 点 十二个 「 春卷 」, 结果 我 说 成 了 「 春袋 」。
||||||||spring rolls||||||spring bag
Once in a restaurant, I wanted to order twelve 'spring rolls', but I ended up saying 'spring bags'.
在 中文 里 ,「 春 」 字 也 带有 「 性 」 的 意思 ( 我 觉得 这是 非常 诗意 的 联想 ),
In Chinese, the character '春' (spring) also carries the meaning of 'sex' (I think this is a very poetic association).
所以 , 我 讲 的 春袋 似乎 指 的 是 男性 的 性器官 而 不是 一种 食物 。
||||spring bag|||||male genitalia||male genitalia||||
So, what I'm referring to as a spring bag seems to indicate a male's sexual organ rather than a type of food.
大家 听 了 先是 吓 了 一 跳 , 接着 便 哄笑 起来 。
|||first|scared|past tense marker|||||burst into laughter|
Everyone was first startled and then burst into laughter.
我 的 妻子 讲 广东话 长大 , 但 她 在家 一直 同 我 讲 英语 ,
My wife grew up speaking Cantonese, but she has always spoken English with me at home.
而且 三十年 来 也 没有 打算 要 改变 这个 习 惯 。
Moreover, for thirty years, she has had no intention of changing this habit.
我能 阅读 报上 的 中文 , 却 没有 办法 用 广东话 发音 。
|||||||way|||pronunciation
I can read Chinese in the newspaper, but I have no way of pronouncing it in Cantonese.
有位 讲 广东话 的 温哥华 记者 姚 永安 先 生 愿意 帮助 我 , 只是 我 进步 得 很慢 。
||||||Mr. Yao|Yao Yong'an||||||only||||
There is a Vancouver reporter named Mr. Yao Yong'an who speaks Cantonese and is willing to help me, but my progress is very slow.
在 一般 交谈 或 收听 电台节目 , 我 约略 能 听懂 10% 左右 。
|||||radio program||approximately|||
In general conversations or listening to radio programs, I can roughly understand about 10%.
我 相信 应该 要 达到 90% 以上 才能 称得 上 流利 。
|||||||can be considered||
I believe I should be able to understand over 90% to be considered fluent.
我 还有 很长 的 路 要 走 。
I still have a long way to go.
问题 是 出于 我 的 错误观念 。
|||||misconception
The problem arises from my misconceptions.
潜意识 里 , 我 认为 广东话 的 九个 声调 简直 是 太 困难 了 。
subconscious||||||nine tones|tones|simply||||
Deep down, I think that the nine tones of Cantonese are simply too difficult.
我 还 认为 , 普通话 是 国语 , 有 了 它 就 足够 了 , 为什么 还 需要 广东话 呢 ?
|||||national language|||||enough||||||
I still believe that Mandarin is the national language, and having it is enough. Why do we still need Cantonese?
所以 , 我 并 没有 下定决心 全力以赴 。
||||made up my mind|give it my all
So, I didn't really make up my mind to go all out.
但 后来 我 在 温哥华 的 中文 书店 发现 了 一本 让 我 突破 观念 的 书 。
||||||Chinese book||||||I|breakthrough|concept||
But later, I found a book in a Chinese bookstore in Vancouver that broke my concepts.
那本书 揭开 了 广东话 九 个 声调 的 神秘 面纱 ,
that book|unveils||||classifier|tones|||mystery veil
That book unveiled the mysterious veil of the nine tones of Cantonese,
并且 强调 只要 六个 声调 就够 了 。
|emphasize|||||
and emphasized that only six tones are sufficient.
这 说法 对 我 来说 十分 合理 ,
||||||reasonable
This statement is very reasonable to me,
因为 即使 我 连 六个 声调 都 不 很 正确 ,
Because even if I don't get all six tones correct,
但 一样 能 沟通 得 很 好 。
I can still communicate very well.
此外 , 作者 还 表示 , 英语 也 有 相同 的 声调 存在 ,
|||indicates||||same tones|||
In addition, the author also indicated that English has similar tone patterns.
这 些 声调 不是 用来 区分 字 的 意义 , 而是 用来 强调 句子 的 语气 。
|||||||||||emphasizing|||
These tones are not used to distinguish the meaning of words, but to emphasize the tone of the sentence.
我 突然 领悟到 , 所有 这些 有关 声 调 的 种种 现象 ,
||realized that||||||||
I suddenly realized that all these phenomena related to tone,
其实 我 在 使用 英语 时 已 十分 熟悉 ,
||||||||familiar
I am actually very familiar with when I use English.
却 一直 被 束缚 在 无知 的 恐惧 之中 。
|||bound||ignorance|||
But I have always been bound by the ignorance of fear.
现在 , 障碍 已 除 , 学习 的 大门 开 了 。
|obstacle||removed|||||
Now, the obstacles have been removed, and the door to learning has opened.
紧接着 , 我 请 人 帮 我 录制 一些 简单 的 内容 ,
Immediately after||||||record||||
Immediately, I asked someone to help me record some simple content.
好 让 我 可以 一再 反复 收听 。
|||||repeatedly|
Good, it allows me to listen repeatedly.
后来 , 我 买 了 一个 迷 你 随身听 (MD)。
|||||||mini disc player|mini portable music player
Later, I bought a mini player (MD).
对 学习 语言 的 人 来说 , 这 真是 一个 革命性 的 工具 。
|||||||||||tool
For people learning a language, this is truly a revolutionary tool.
它 不但 可以 从 收音机 或 电视机 直接 录音 ,也 可以 由 计算机 下载 ;
||||radio|||||||by|computer|download
It can not only record directly from the radio or television, but can also be downloaded from a computer.
我 可以 录下 自己 的 声音 ,也 可以 储存 大量 的 材 料 。
||||||||store|||materials|
I can record my own voice and also store a large amount of material.
迷你 随身听 不但 精巧 轻便 , 音质 也 十分 优良 。
mini|||exquisite|lightweight|sound quality|||excellent
The mini portable player is not only exquisite and portable, but its sound quality is also excellent.
不久 , 我 就 开始 把 广东话 的 电台节目 录下来 , 包括 一些 脱口秀 节目 。
||||||||recorded it|||stand-up comedy|
Not long after, I started recording radio programs in Cantonese, including some talk shows.
随着 广东话 的 进步 , 我 开始 打电话 到 这些 节目 中 去 ,
As my Cantonese improved, I began calling into these programs,
并 针对 一些 论题 发表意见 。
|regarding||topics|express opinions
and expressing my opinions on some topics.
我 把 这些 都 录下来 , 然后 与 播音员 的 道 地 语音 做 比较 。
||||recorded|||broadcaster||standard|local|||
I recorded all of this and then compared it with the authentic pronunciation of the announcer.
我 相信 迷你 随身听 使 我 在 学习 时 能够 达到 一定 程度 的 专注 ,
||||||||||||||focus
I believe that the mini portable player allows me to achieve a certain level of focus while studying,
因而 能 突破 学习 上 的 障碍 。
therefore||||||
thereby helping me overcome obstacles in my learning.
可惜 的 是 , 我 还 没有 发现 类似 有声 题材 之类 的 电子 读物 。
|||||||||subject matter||||reading material
Unfortunately, I have not yet discovered any electronic reading materials similar to audio topics.
我 确信 这 很快 就 会 出现 , 届时 学 起 广东话 来 就 更 方便 了 。
|sure||||||at that time||||||||
I am sure this will appear soon, and it will be more convenient to learn Cantonese then.
我 把 精神 集中 在 自己 喜欢 的 有声 内容 ,
||spirit|focus||||||
I focus my attention on the audio content that I like.
再 加上 自己 中文 方面 的 知识 ,
Adding my own knowledge in Chinese,
我 对 广东话 的 领悟 就 逐渐 有 了 进步 ,
||||understanding|||||
my understanding of Cantonese has gradually progressed,
也 使 我 先前 学习 语言 的 所有 经验 、 体会 得以 强化 。
|||previously|learning|||||experience|can be strengthened|reinforced
which has also reinforced all the experiences and insights I had while learning languages before.
这 再度 显示 : 要 想 成功 , 学习者 的 角色 极具 决定性 ,
||||want||||||
This once again shows: to succeed, the role of the learner is extremely decisive.
而 找寻 有趣 的 材料 也 十分 重要 。
Additionally, finding interesting materials is also very important.
另外 , 学会 广东话 也 证实 了 年龄 并 非 学习 语言 的 障碍 ,
||||confirmed||||||||
Moreover, learning Cantonese has also proven that age is not a barrier to learning a language.
只要 你 下定决心 去 做 。
||make up your mind||
As long as you are determined to do it.
虽然 我 还 没有 达到 完全 流利 的 程度 ,
||||||fluent level||
Although I have not yet reached a fully fluent level,
我 已经 能够 进行 一般 的 对谈 了 ,
|||conduct||||
I am already able to engage in general conversations.
甚至 还 可以 打电话 到 电 台 参与 他们 的 脱口秀 节目 。
||||||||||talk show|
You can even call the radio station to participate in their talk show.
六个月 的 努力奋斗 已成 过去 , 但 我 还是 会 不断 求 进步 ,
||striving|||||||||progress
Six months of hard work has become a thing of the past, but I will continue to strive for improvement.
继续 保持 收听 电台节目 和 与 人 接触 。
I will keep listening to the radio programs and interacting with people.
我 最近 到 深圳 和 广州 逗留 了 几天 ,
||||||stayed||
I recently stayed in Shenzhen and Guangzhou for a few days,
二十年 不见 , 这些 地方 改变 了 许多 , 真 令 我 惊讶 。
|||||||really|||
After twenty years of not seeing them, these places have changed a lot, which really surprised me.
我 尤其 高兴 自己 能 用 广东话 与 人 交谈 , 使得 整个 行程 更 有 乐趣 。
|especially||||||||talking|made it|the whole|trip|more||
I was especially happy that I could communicate with people in Cantonese, which made the whole trip more enjoyable.
我 在 学习 语言 及 制造 个人 学习 环境 时 所 碰到 的 种种 困难 ,
I have encountered various difficulties while learning the language and creating a personal learning environment.
如今 已 因 网络 与 现代 软件系统 的 出现 而 变得 容易 多 了 。
|has|||||software systems|||||||
Nowadays, it has become much easier due to the emergence of the internet and modern software systems.
我 过去 付出 的 辛劳 , 如今 做 起来 会 更 有效率 、 也 更 有趣 。
||||hard work||||||more efficient|||
The hard work I put in the past is now more efficient and also more interesting to do.
我 期盼 自己 能 学习 更 多 的 语言 ,
|hope|||||||
I hope to learn more languages.
也 继续 不断 提高 使用 语言 的 技能 。
|||improve||||language skills
Also continue to improve the skills of using the language.