如何用「回音法」學好英文口說 | 史嘉琳 Karen Chung | TEDxNTUST
How to learn to speak English well using the "echo method" | Karen Chung | TEDxNTUST
Cómo aprender a hablar bien inglés utilizando el "método eco" | Karen Chung | TEDxNTUST
Comment apprendre à bien parler anglais en utilisant la "méthode de l'écho" | Karen Chung | TEDxNTUST
エコー・メソッドで英語を上手に話せるようになる方法|カレン・チョン|TEDxNTUST
Como aprender a falar bem inglês usando o "método do eco" | Karen Chung | TEDxNTUST
Як навчитися добре говорити англійською за допомогою "методу відлуння" | Карен Чанг | TEDxNTUST
如何用「回音法」學好英文口說 | 史嘉琳 Karen Chung | TEDxNTUST
翻译人员 : Cathy Ye 校对 人员 : Cissy Yun
Translator: Cathy Ye Proofreader: Cissy Yun
Перекладач: Кеті Є Коректор: Сіссі Юн
我 现在 要放 一个 音档 给 你们 听 ,
I'm going to play a recording for you.
麻烦 你们 专心 听 ,
Please listen very attentively,
不要 玩 手机 ,
and please don't play with your cell phones!
不要 分心 。
Don't be distracted.
然后 , 我 希望 你们 尽量 把 内容 全部 听懂 ,
just try your best to understand the content.
先说 一下 , 它 有点 长度 ,
I'll warn you beforehand that it's a bit long.
所以 , 你 如果 感到 有点 不耐烦 ,
If you start to feel a bit impatient,
请 你们 好好 品味 一下 这个 “ 不耐烦 ” 的 感觉 。
please try to savor that feeling of impatience.
好 。
OK, here we go.
听 一下 。
Listen to this.
( 播放 马克 · 扎克 伯格 的 演讲 音档 )
(Play Mark Zuckerberg's speech)
( 音档 结束 )
(End of file)
我 现在 要 请问 你们 一个 问题 ,
Karen Chung: So, now let me ask you:
你 的 感觉 怎么样 ?
How do you feel about what you just heard?
听 完 了 ,
Finished listening,
都 听懂 了 吗 ?
Did you understand it all?
还是 会 像 我 大 一 的 学生 说 :
Still like my freshman said:
“ 老师 , 那个 音档 可不可以 不要 那么 长 ?”
"Uh, could you maybe make the sound clip a bit shorter?"
是不是 有些 字 你 要 想 半天 ,
Were there words you had to think about for a while
才 想 得出 他 原来 要 讲 的 意思 ?
Did you figure out what he meant to say?
比方说 ,“ 法名 ” 要变 “ 发明 ”
When you heard fǎmíng 法名 [dharma name] instead of fāmíng 發明 [invention]?
“ 火窑 ” 要变 “ 火药 ”,
Or huǒyáo 火窯 [kiln] instead of huǒyào 火藥 [fireworks]?
如果 只有 这么 一 、 两个 就算 了 ,
When it's just a few words, it's little matter.
可是 从头到尾 很多 的 字
But did you find
要 还原成 正确 的 声调 ,
To restore to the correct tone,
是不是 有 一点 累 ?
was actually rather tiring
要花 蛮 多 的 脑力 ,
and consumed quite a bit of brain energy?
那 我 再問 你們 一下 ,
So let me ask you,
我 是 教 英文 的 ,
I teach English, why would I be playing a recording like this for you?
为什么 要放 这个 音档 给 你们 听 ?
Why do you want to play this audio file for you?
你们 想 的 到 吗 ?
Can you figure out why?
( 笑声 )
(Laughter)
你们 希望 在 你们 讲 英文 的 时候
When you speak English,
对方 有 这 样子 的 感受 吗 ?
Does the other person feel this way?
想 一下 , 设身处地
Think for a minute, and put yourself in the other person's shoes, empathize.
是不是 对于 英语 的 学习
Does it at all change your attitude towards English learning,
尤其 是 发音 的 学习 有点 不 一样 的 态度 ?
Especially with the different attitude towards the study of pronunciation?
这么 累 !
Would you want your partner to feel this tired talking with you?
你 要 让 对方 有 这种 感觉 吗 ?
Do you want them to feel that way?
华人 地区 , 差不多 就是
In Chinese-speaking regions,
中文 节目 、 中文 的 电影 几乎 都 有 字幕 看 。
Chinese programs and Chinese movies almost have subtitles.
那 我 请问 一下 ,
So let me ask you: Do you usually listen to the program, or read it?
你们 主要 是 用 听 的 还是 用 看 的 ?
Do you mainly use listening or watching?
我们 来看 一个 :
Let's watch this clip.
( 影片 : 你 把 这些 东西 带进来 干嘛 ?)
(Video clip)
可能 是 还 没 听 完 , 你 就 已经 读完 了 。
I expect you probably finished reading the subtitle
你们 华人 厉害 呀 !
Chinese speakers are shrewd.
就是 学 中国 字要 学三 、 四年
It does take around three to four years to learn enough Chinese characters
才 有 足够 的 字 来 用 。
to read most things,
我们 学 英文 的 拉丁字母 大概 一 、 两年 差不多 ,
We learn English Latin alphabet for about one or two years,
拼写 (spelling) 不好 就 不 讲 了 。
Spelling is not good enough.
可是 , 你们 花 那么 多 时间 来学 中国 字 怎么 写 ,
However, although you have to spend a lot more time learning to write Chinese,
可是 呢 , 阅读 以后 速度 就 很快 。
However, after reading, the speed is very fast.
你们 是 两个 字 为 单位 ,
You sail through a written text in units of two characters at a time,
两个 字 、 两个 字 、 两个 字 这 样子 飞过去 ,
Two words, two words, two words flying like this.
我们 还 在 慢慢 地 一个 子音 、
while we plod along,
一个 母音 、 一个 子音 这样 拼 起来 。
One vowel, one consonant, spelled like this.
中文 几乎 可以 略过 这个 语音 处理 的 步骤 ,
When reading Chinese,
就 比较 快 。
and thus you read faster.
这个 样子 好像 就让 很多 华人
It seems that many Chinese
比较 喜欢 用 阅读 来 吸收 资讯 ,
I prefer to use reading to absorb information,
而 慢慢 比较 没 那么 习惯 ,
rather than more slowly by listening.
也 没 那么 喜欢 用 听 的 来 吸收 资讯 。
I don’t like listening to information so much.
我 现在 举个 例子 啊 ,
As an example, say you are learning to play the piano.
你们 现在 要学 钢琴 ,
You guys are going to learn piano now.
然后 你 就 看 这个 谱 、 研究 这个 谱 、
Then you just look at this spectrum, study this spectrum,
背 这个 谱 、 分析 这个 谱 ,
Recite this spectrum, analyze this spectrum,
对 这个 谱 很 熟 , 非常 的 内行 。
You become intimately familiar with the score.
可是 , 你弹 得 出来 吗 ?
But can you play it?
你 可能 是 满肚子 的 理论 ,
You may have a head full of theory,
可是 手指头 根本 没有 训练 好 。
but you haven't trained your fingers to play it.
我 再举 另外 一个 例子 ,
Let's look at another example.
现在 假定 说 ,
Suppose you have a foreign friend
你 有 一个 外国 朋友 他 同意 跟 你 练习 英文会话 ,
You have a foreign friend who's agreed to practice his English with you.
你 教 他 中文 , 要 从 基础 教起 ,
in exchange for you teaching him Chinese.
所以 你 要 教 他 中文 的 四个 声调 。
so you teach them the four tones of Mandarin.
那 你 就 跟 他 说 :
You tell them that every character, every syllable, comes with a fixed tone.
“ 每 一个 字 、 每 一个 音节 都 有 一个 固定 的 声调 ,
"Every word, every syllable has a fixed tone,
这个 会 辨别 意思 ,
This will discern the meaning,
声调 讲错 了 , 那个 不 晓得 就 在 讲 什么 。“
a character pronounced with the wrong tone is not understood correctly.
所以 你 就 拿 这个 图表 给 他
So you show them this diagram, and say, "Let's start with 'ma'.
说 :“ 我们 就 'ma' 这个 字 好 了 ”
Say, "Let's go with the word 'ma'."
你 照着 这个 图表 的 曲线 念 给 我 听 吧 !
Now, please say 'ma' in the four tones, following the lines in this diagram."
中文 的 四声 。”
The four tones of Chinese."
你 是 外国人 的话 , 念得 出来 吗 ?
If you are a foreigner, can you read it?
会 像 中文 吗 ?
Would it sound like Chinese?
我 问过 的 人 都 会 大笑 , 说 :“ 不太可能 吧 !”
Everyone I've asked laughs and says, "Impossible!"
我 说 :“ 那 你 会 怎么 教 呢 ?”
So I ask, "How would you teach it, then?"
他 说 :“ 我 当然 念 给 他 听 啊 ! 要 他 跟着 念 。”
They say, "Of course I'd read it aloud to them, then ask them to repeat it."
我 说 :“ 对 呀 !”
So I say, "Exactly."
那 我们 的 英语教学 怎么 是 一堆 白纸黑字 ,
So why is our English curriculum mostly written texts and almost no sound?
几乎 是 没有 声音 ,
Almost no sound,
学生 是 要 用 猜 的 吗 ?
Do students have to guess?
会 导致 什么 呢 ?
What does that lead to?
如果 这些 音 没有 抓准 ,
If the words aren't pronounced correctly,
我们 就 没 办法 分辨 你 讲 的 是 什么 东西 。
There is no way we can tell what you are talking about.
中文 是 靠 四声 当然 子音 、 母音 也 重要
Mandarin relies on the four tones -
可是 四个 声调 你们 就 特别 、 特别 地 重视
But with the four tones, you're paying special, special attention to them.
那 英文 要 靠 母音 、 子音 、 重音
In English, we rely on the correct vowels, consonants and stress.
如果 音 没有 学 的 很 标准 的话 会 变成 什么 样子 ?
What would have happened if I hadn't learned to pronounce it correctly?
你 听听看 这 是 哪 四个 字 ?
Listen to these four words:
( 英文 发音 的 四个 字 )
(Audio file)
我 保证 这是 四个 不同 的 字 。
I promise you these are four different words.
这 是 个 算 有 代表性 的 台湾人 念 的
This was read by a fairly typical Taiwanese learner of English.
她 念 的 是 这 四个 字 :
She read these four words:
rain,
ran,“ 蝴蝶 a“(/æ/)
ran /ræn/
wren,” 倒 3“(/ɛ/)
wren /rɛn/
rang,“ 蝴蝶 a” 加 一个 「ng」
rang /ræŋ/
rain
rain, ran, wren, rang.
ran
wren
rang
听 起来 都 一样 吗 ?
Does it all sound the same?
像 这个 样子 吗 ?
Is it like this?
rain、rain、rain、rain
rain, ran, wren, rang.
( 笑声 )
其实 四个 字 放在 一起 的 时候 我 的 学生 说 :
When they hear the words in sequence,
“ 嘿 , 老师 , 其实 差蛮 多 哦 !”
"Hey, teacher, it's actually quite a difference!"
放在 一起 好好 训练 每个 人 都 可以 学得会 ,
If you compare and contrast the words like this,
可是 因为 被忽略了 才 会 讲成 这个 样子 。
But it's because it's been ignored that it's being told this way.
好 , 我们 再 来 一组 字
Okay, let's look at another set of words.
这 五个 字 是 哪 五个 英文字 ?
Which five English words are these?
听听看 。
( 英文 发声 的 五个 字 )
(Audio file)
( 笑声 )
又 是 五个 不同 的 字 喔 !
Again, these are five different words. Which five words are they?
是 哪 五个 呢 ?
你 分辨 得 出来 吗 ?
Can you tell them apart?
其实 ,bat、bad 是 有 “ 无声 ” 和 “ 有声 ” 的 差别 ,
Actually, b-a-t and b-a-d differ
可是 不 只 这 样子 。
But that's not the only difference.
后面 的 音 有声 的话 之前 的 母音 就会 变长 ,
If the sound after a vowel is voiced, like "d", the vowel will be lengthened.
所以 , 是 这样 念 的 :
So the two words are pronounced "bat", 'ba...d"; "bat", 'ba...d".
bat、bad、bet、bed
是不是 差别 就 很 清楚 ?
Is the difference clear?
可是 因为 台湾 一般 没有 教 学生 说
But because Taiwan generally does not teach students to say
母音 的 长度 会变 , 就 看 后面 有声 无声 ,
The length of the vowel will change, just look at the sound behind it,
所以 一般 人 就是 bet、bet。
so most people will say "bat, bat" for "bat, ba...d".
那 下面 a 跟 e 常常 无法 分辨 ,
Next, lots of people have trouble differentiating short "a" /æ/ and "e" /ɛ/.
那个 是 下巴 要收 起来 不是 at 而是 et、et。
That is the chin to be put away is not at but et, et.
后面 有声 的话 , 那个 a 要 拉长
If the next consonant is voiced, the short "e" is lengthened.
变 :bat、bad
bat、bad。
最后 是 bait。
The last word is pronounced "bait".
应该 念成 bat
bad
bet
bed
bait。
听得出 差别 吗 ?
Do you hear the differences?
还是 要 这样 念 ?
Or would you read them like this:
( 英文 发声 的 五个 字 )
bat, bat, bat, bat, bat.
好 , 我举 另外 一个 例子
OK, let me give you another example.
你 刚刚 那个 外国 的 、 语言 交换 的 朋友
Your foreign language exchange friend
他 跟 你 出去 要 吃 东西
Let's say you're going out for a meal, and you ask him what he'd like to eat.
你 问 他 :“ 想 吃 什么 啊 ?”
他 说 :“ 我 想 吃 bieng”
He said: "I want to eat bieng"
他 想 吃 什么 ?
What do they want to eat?
你 确定 吗 ?
Can you be sure?
中文 没有 “bieng” 这个 字
There is no such word as second-tone bíng in Mandarin. Not at all.
根本 没有 !
absolutely not!
所以 , 你 要 问 他 :
In order to know what he wants, you need to ask him,
“ 呃 , 你 要 吃 的 是 冷 的 吗 ? 还是 热 的 ?”
"Uh, is it cold? Or hot?"
( 笑声 )
Or the hot kind [third-tone 'flatbread']?"
才 知道 。
just got it.
那 ... 这 样子 的 教学 只是 说 是 口音 的 问题 吗 ?
So, in our English teaching,
是 有点 外国 腔 的 问题 吗 ?
having a foreign accent?
很多 人 说 :
“ 唉 , 发音 不 重要 , 听得懂 就 好 啦 !”
"Oh, pronunciation is not important, just understand it!"
听得懂 , 也许 懂 ,
Sure, you may be understood,
可是 花 了 多少 脑筋 跟 猜测 才 听懂 ?
But how much brain and guesswork did you understand?
其实 不是 一个 口音 跟 外国 腔 的 问题 ,
It's not really a matter of accent or foreign accent.
是 这些 被 用来 辨别 意思 的 成分 根本 被忽略了 。
In reality, some of the key phonetic features
同一个 句子 里面
In the same sentence
这 四个 字 都 通 ,
All of these four words can form a phrase:
a little bit
A little bit? A little bid? A little beat? A little bead?
a little bid
a little beat
a little bead
都 通 ,
They all make sense.
全部 都 讲成 “a little bit”
All of them, "a little bit."
我们 怎么 知道 是 哪 一个 ?
if they are all pronounced as "a little bit"?
还有 , 如果 你 问 人家 说 :“ 诶 , 你 去 哪里 旅游 ?”
Also, if you asked someone, "Hey, where did you go on holiday?"
他 回答 说 :
( 英文 发音 的 回答 )
(An English pronunciation answer)
( 笑声 )
(Laughter)
那 到底 是 讲 一个 国家 吗 ?
Was he naming a country or insulting you?
还是 在 骂人 ?
Still swearing?
他 绝对 不是故意 的
He certainly didn't mean to insult you.
实际上 很多 英文字母 音 讲错 了 , 就是 变 粗话 了 。
In fact, many English words become profanities if you get the vowel wrong.
我 不再 举 例子 咯 !
I'm not going to give any more examples.
( 笑声 )
(Laughter)
这 样子 的 教学 ,
Imagine what would happen
如果 我们 这 样子 教 ,
if we taught math, physics, history, or music,
数学 、 物理 、 历史 、 音乐
Mathematics, physics, history, music
有 这样 不 标准 , 这样 可以 吗 ?
with this level of imprecision.
这会 是 什么样 的 教育 ?
What sort of education would that be?
可是 基于 英语 的 教学 ,
But based on English teaching,
好像 这是 家常便饭 , 是 常态 ,
It seems that this is commonplace, it is the norm,
就是 这个 样子 , 大家 就 觉得 :
Students think, "Since I can't learn pronunciation well,
反正 学 不好 嘛 , 那 就 干脆 放弃 ,
Anyway, you can’t learn well, so just give up.
反正 考试 又 不考 。
Anyway, the exam is not taken.
真的 有 那么 难学 吗 ?
Is it really that hard to learn?
我 举个 例子
Here's another example:
/i/ 跟 /I/ 这 两个 母音
The two vowels long "ee" /i/ and short "i" /ɪ/ are a bit similar,
有点 接近 , 可是 是 完全 不同 的 母音
Kind of close, but completely different vowels
中文 有 吗 ?
Do they exist in Mandarin?
/i/ 中文 有 吗 ?
Does long "ee" /i/ exist in Mandarin?
一 、 二 、 三 、 一
中文 有 , 应该 没 问题
可是 , /I/ 中文 有 吗 ?
But is /I/ Chinese available?
/I/ 、/I/ 、/I/ 、/I/
中文 有 吗 ?
( 做出 踏步 的 动作 )
(Make stepping movements)
有 吗 ? 有 。
有 。
Yes, under special circumstances.
特殊 的 情況 之下 , 一 、 二 , 一 、 二 。
Under special circumstances, one, two, one, two.
( 笑声 )
(Laughter)
那个 “ 一 ”, 百分之百 就是 英文 的 短 的 /I/
That pronunciation of the number "1" is exactly like the English short "i" /ɪ/.
所以 说 你 不会 区别 , 其实 我 不 相信 。
So if you say you can't tell them apart, I don't believe you.
好 。 那 ... 学 语言 需要 具备 什么样 的 条件 ?
OK, so what is necessary in order to learn a language well?
最 重要 的 是 一个 很 强烈 的 欲望 跟 需要 。
Most importantly, you must have a strong desire to learn, and a need.
需要 订好 目标 ,
Need to set goals,
你 的 目标 是 什么 啊 ?
What is your goal?
可是 一般 台湾人 所定 的 目标 是 什么 ?
What is the main goal for most Taiwanese?
可是 考试 又 不 需要 听力 好 到 哪里 去 ,
Passing exams.
而且 发音 完全 不用 ,
You don't need pronunciation at all.
所以 谁 会 “ 浪费 ” 时间 在 口说 上面 ?
So who's going to "waste time" working on speaking skills?
到时候 去 了 美国 , 说 :
When the time comes to go to the United States, say:
“ 噢 ! 我 都 听不懂 , 我 也 讲 不 出口 。”
and you can't understand or speak English well,
会 惊讶 吗 ?
Are you surprised?
可是 , 如果 真的 有 一个 很 重要 的 目标 ,
However, might it be different if you set a clear, concrete goal,
你 一定 要 达到
You've got to get there.
是不是 会 不 一样 ?
Will it be different?
有没有 碰到 很多 东南亚 来 的 一些 看护 ?
Have you ever run into caregivers from Southeast Asia
来 台湾 没有 很 久 本来 他们 都 不会 中文 ,
who, not long after arriving in Taiwan with little or no knowledge of Mandarin,
可是 , 诶 , 奇怪 ! 中文 讲得 不错 , 能 沟通 ,
can surprisingly communicate quite well and confidently in Mandarin?
而且 不 只 国语 很多 台语 “ 妈 诶 通 ”, 也 不错
And not just in Mandarin,
他们 也 ...
为什么 呢 ?
因为 他 离开 了 家里 ,
Because they've left home,
自己 的 子女 还 交给 父母 了 ,
with their parents taking care of their kids:
来到 台湾 , 他 一定 要 成功 。
He must succeed when he comes to Taiwan.
他 必须 要学 中文 才能 执行 他 的 工作 。
They need to learn Mandarin to perform their duties.
所以 他 就 想 办法 学 。
So they find ways to learn it.
我 问 他们 怎么 学 的 这么 好 ?
I've asked them how they learn it so well, Filipinos, Indonesians.
菲律宾 的 、 印尼 的 。 他 说 :
Philippines, Indonesia. He said:
“ 我 就是 这 样子 每天 用 听 的 。”
"This is how I listen every day."
害 我 佩服 不已 , 我 自己 都 办不到 。
I find that awesome. I couldn't do it myself.
可是 除了 一个 很强 的 一个 欲望 ,
But in addition to a powerful desire, you need a good learning method.
你 需要 一个 好 的 学习 法 。
我 在 教书 的 时候 我念 一句 话 , 要 学生 跟着 念
Often when I ask my students to repeat a sentence after me,
我 发现 , 我念到 一半 的 时候 ,
they interrupt and start repeating before I've even finished giving the model.
他们 已经 打岔 了 , 已经 开始 跟着 念 。
They've interrupted, they've begun to read along.
这个 代表 什么 呢 ?
What does this mean?
他们 完全 没有 在 听 ,
It means that they're not listening at all.
他 可能 只是 在 阅读 啦
They may be reading the sentence, or they may have memorized it,
或是 把 它 背 起来 啦 。
Or put it on your back.
只是 , 我 自己 开始 讲 的 时候 当 一个 信号 ,
It's just that I myself started speaking at the time when a signal.
等 一下 我要 表现 , 等 一下 我要 表现 ,
that they need to start preparing their response.
注意力 全部 放在 自己 的 身上 ,
I've got all the attention on myself, and I've got all the attention on myself, and I've got all the attention on myself.
根本 没有 用心听 实际 的 那个 声音 是 什么 声音 。
They're not listening to the actual sounds at all.
所以 我 想到 ,
When I thought about it,
我们 人脑 有个 非常 奇妙 的 一个 功能 ,
I realized that the human brain has an amazing function:
叫做 “ 回音 记忆 ”。
It is called "echo memory".
当 我们 听到 一个 声音 ,
When we hear a sound,
不管 是 一句 话 啦
like a sentence or just something falling to the floor,
或者 东西 摔 到 地上 的 声音 ,
Or the sound of something falling to the ground,
我们 的 头脑 自动 地会 重播 一次 同一个 声音 。
our brains will automatically replay that same sound in our head.
所以 如果 我 说 :“Please come in”
So if I say: "Please come in"
事后 你 马上 听 得到 我刚 讲 的 那句话 ,
Afterwards you immediately heard the sentence I just said,
而且 是 我 的 声音 。
And it's my voice.
后來 我 想 , 如果 这 可以 应用 在 语言 的 学习 上
Later, I found that using echoic memory in language teaching
是不是 会 很 有 帮助 ?
Would it be helpful?
是 会 让 学生 充分 地 吸收 那个 声音
could help students fully absorb the sounds they hear
做 深度 的 聆听 ,
and enable them to practice "deep listening."
这个 方法 就 叫做 “ 回音 法 ”,
This method is called the "Echo Method."
the echo method。
它 有 三个 步骤
It has three steps.
第一个 : 你 要 找到 一個 个 有 文字 稿 的 音档
First, find an audio file with a written transcription
然后 只要 拿 短短的 一段 ,
and choose a short section from it.
然后 , 句子 里面 所有 的 单字 、 片语
Then, read it carefully,
一些 文化 典故 , 你 就 谷歌 搜好 ,
Some cultural allusions, you can search them well on Google,
你 就 把 整个 ... 这个 段落 把 它 看 懂 。
Just read the whole... this paragraph to understand it.
然后 , 开始 练习 的 时候 ,
Then, when I started practicing,
你 就 按 “play” 一下
Just click "play"
听 三四个 字 ,“ 停 ”
Listen to three or four words, "stop"
不要 马上 跟着 念 ,
Don't repeat the words out loud immediately after hearing them.
你 就 听 一下 心里 的 ,
Just listen to what's in your heart,
刚刚 我们 听到 的 那个 回音 。
The echo we just heard.
然后 , 听 完 自己 心里 产生 的 回音 以后 ,
Then, after listening to the echo in my heart,
你 才 开口 跟着 念 。
You just started to read.
三个 步骤 :listen、echo、repeat
Three steps: Listen, Echo, Repeat.
listen、echo、repeat
Listen, Echo, Repeat.
我们 现在 来 试试看 吧 !
Let's try it out now.
这 是 个 很 短 的 一段 对话 ,
Here's a short clip of a conversation.
你们 听 一下 。
Let's listen.
( 播放 英语 对 话音 档 )
(Play English dialogue audio file)
( 音档 结束 )
(End of audio file)
最后 那 一句 “But it is nice."
That last sentence, "But it is nice," has a special intonation.
那 音调 比较 特别 ,
The tone is special,
你 没有 声音 做 一个 范本 的话 ,
If you didn't have this audio model to follow,
你 可能 就 。
You might just.
( 不 自然 的 念法 )
(Unnatural thinking)
可能 就 这 样子 念 ,
in a deliberate and stiff way.
实际上 不是 。
Actually not.
我们 来 试试看 。
Now let's try it out.
我来 示范 。
I will demonstrate.
然后 , 我 这个 手势 代表 说 “echo”,
and when I put up my hand like this,
先 让 他 回音 一下 。
Let the sound echo in your head.
我 说 、echo、repeat。
So I'll give the model,
ok? 不要 偷跑 。
Make sure you don't jump the gun
这个 时候 你 不要 先讲 。
Don't talk about it first at this time.
好 , 试试看 。
Okay, try it.
But it is nice.
Let's try: "But it is nice."
( 手势 以及 众人 念 )
(Gestures and people chanting)
But it is nice.
( 手势 以及 众人 念 )
(Gestures and people chanting)
But it is nice.
KC: "But it is nice."
( 手势 以及 众人 念 )
(gestures and crowd chanting)
漂亮 ! 讲得 很 好 了 。
Great, excellent!
那 就是 你 听到 ,
What happened was you listened fully to how it sounds,
你 是 充分 听懂 原来 怎么 念 的 ,
You fully understand how to pronounce it originally,
自己 心里 把 它 内化 了 ,
那 就 变 自己 了 。
Then you've become yourself.
然后 , 你 讲 的 时候 ,
Because of this, when you say it, it more closely resembles the original.
就 会 很 像 原本 的 那个 原声带 。
It will look a lot like the original soundtrack.
第二个 步骤 ,
The next step after this is to repeat directly after the original.
就是 这个 做 完 了
That's it
你 可以 直接 跟着 念 ,
You can just follow along,
然后 最后 就 同步 ,
Then, finally, say it at the same time.
你 就 看 我 的 手势 。
But it is nice.
"But it is nice."
( 手势 以及 众人 念 )
But it is nice.
( 手势 以及 众人 念 )
同步 ,
Together now: "But it is nice."
But it is nice.
But it is nice.
你 会 觉得 好像 重复 蛮 多遍 ,
You will feel as if you repeat it many times,
确实 是 这 样子 。
That is indeed so.
一定 要 overlearned,
You must "overlearn", you must overdo it in order to remember it,
你 要学 过头 , 你 才能 把 它 记 起来 ,
You have to learn it before you can remember it,
才 会 把 它 变成 你 的 长期 记忆 ,
in order for it to enter into your long-term memory,
需要 的 时候 , 才 会 自动 地 蹦出来 。
so that when you need it, it will pop out by itself.
什么 东西 作为 你 的 教材 是 最好 的 呢 ?
Now, what sort of learning material is best for Echo practice?
我 是 建议 好 的 、 优良 的 的 电视 影集
I suggest good television series,
对 , 像 《 生活 大 爆炸 》、《 吉尔莫 女孩 》 还 不错 。
such as "The Big Bang Theory" or "Gilmore Girls."
然后 , 你 这 样子 , 每天 这 样子 练 ,
Then, you practice like this every day,
不 只是 发音 、 还有 单字 、 文法
not just pronunciation, but also vocabulary and grammar at the same time.
一次 搞定 。
Get it all at once.
那 你 有 那么 多 时间 来练 吗 ?
Do you have that much time to practice?
每天 有 一两个 小时 吗 ?
One or two hours a day?
一般 人 没有 。
Most people don't have that kind of time.
可是 你 有没有 十分钟 ?
But do you have ten minutes?
十分钟 其实 就够 了 ,
10 minutes is in fact enough, but you need to do it every day.
可是 要 每天 练 。
But practice it every day.
你 今天 可以 带回家 的 有 这 三样 :
There are three things you can take home today:
第一个 , 你学 语言 不要 只 想到 自己 ,
First, don’t just think of yourself when you learn languages.
你 要 想到 对方 的 感受 。
you also need to think of how the other person feels when listening to you.
第二个 , 你 设 目标 的 时候 ,
Second, when you set a goal,
不要 为了 考试 而学 英文 ,
Don’t learn English for exams,
你 是 为了 想要 很 舒服 地 、 很 愉快 地 跟 别人 沟通 。
you should be aiming to communicate comfortably and enjoyably with others.
最后 , 你 就是 要 持之以恒
Finally, you just have to persevere
你 不要 抱佛脚 。
Don't try to cram at the last minute.
每天 一点点 , 每天 十分钟 、
Practice a little every day, just 10 minutes a day.
十分钟 、 十分钟 地 这样 练习 ,
Practice like this for ten minutes, ten minutes,
保证 你 的 英语 会 突飞猛进 。
Ensure that your English will improve by leaps and bounds.
谢谢 !
Thank you.
( 掌声 )