把握 每個 人生 機會 創造 自我 高峰 | 莊淑芬 Shenan Chuang | TEDxTaipei
Seize every opportunity in life to create your own peak | Shenan Chuang | TEDxTaipei
其實 呢 , 這麼 多年 的 職業生涯 ,
我 有 一個 體會 , 就是說 我們 的 這個 世界
Actually, during my career
幫 我們 每 一個 人 的 人生 , 打造 了 一條 長廊
I have experienced that this world
廊 的 兩旁 , 有 各式各樣 的門
creates a corridor for all of our lives.
有的門 , 像 我 一樣 就是 要 跳過
It has two sides both with all different types of doors.
有的門 , 打不開 有的門 , 你 要 推門而入
Some you just skip past, just like I have.
那 我 的 經驗 就是說 , 你 推門 之後 大概 有 兩種 情形
Some doors we cannot open. Some we will open and walk through.
一種 是 喜歡 的 , 一種 是 不 喜歡 的 , right ( 對 吧 )?
In my experience, after opening the door, there are generally two outcomes.
喜歡 的 你 會 好好 把握 , 我 啦 , 我 說 我 !
The first is that you like what's there, the second is that you don't, right?
好好 把握 、 發揚光大 , 珍惜
If you like it, you will hold onto it, I'm talking about myself here.
不 喜歡 的 我 實在 是 無法忍受 , 我 就 動手 改變
I would hold it, develop it, cherish it.
至少 我 是從 過去 走 到 現在 , 面對 人生
If I don't like it, if I cannot stand it, I will try to change it.
所以 我 建議 各位 年輕 的 朋友 ,
At least that's what I've done up until today.
你們 可以 想想看 三件 你 不 喜歡 的 事情
So to all our young friends here,
然後 呢 , 設法 動手 去 改變
I suggest that you think of three things that you don't like,
不過 , 不要 現在 想 你們 現在 要 聽 我 說 哈
then, think of a way to change them.
這 一次 , 我們 活動 的 主題 叫 Big Bang ( 大 爆炸 )
However, don't think of them now, right now you've got to listen to me.
我 的 人生 啊 , 經過 很 多次 的 Big Bang
Today our topic is 'Big Bang'.
其中 包括 三次 全球 不景氣 ,
In my life I've gone through many Big Bangs,
還有 我 12 年 轉到 中國 大陸 , 工作 的 經驗
including three global recessions
我 的 第一次 Big Bang 是 我 在 學生 時代
and 12 years experience working in China.
啊 , 家裡 發生 財務危機 , 我差 一點點 輟學
My first Big Bang was during university.
所以 就 逼 得 我 拿 獎學金 、 打工 , 賺取 學費 跟 生活費
My family was broken I almost left school.
有 一句 話 叫做 " 理想 很 豐滿 , 現實 很 骨感 。"
This forced met to get scholarships and work part-time to pay
我 在 十八歲 的 時候 就 領教 到 了
There is a saying: "Pie in the sky."
所以 呢 , 我 是 憑 著 自己 的 力量 , 然後 把 大學 念完
I experienced this at 18 years old.
念完 之後 , 沒想到 迎來 第二次 的 Big Bang
So, I relied on my strength and finished my studies.
我 大學畢業 就 碰到 全球 石油危機
I didn't think I would face my second Big Bang afterwards.
通貨膨脹 , 所以 薪水 就 剛好 減半
After I graduated, the world was faced with an oil crisis.
我 在 貿易界 一年 換了 三個 工作
My salary was cut by 50% due to inflation.
意識 到 我們 的 工作 呢 必須 按照 自己 的 興趣 去 尋找
I changed jobs three times
我 當時 呢 想 說 新聞 就是 最愛 , 廣告 才 是 其次
I realized that we must find work based on our interest.
所以 我 寄 了 很多 履歷表 , 到處 去 考試 ,
At the time I was most passionate about news
都 鍛羽 而 歸 , 新聞 工作 不得 其門 而入 。
So, I sent out heaps of resumes, took so many tests,
後來 才 用 英文 助理 的 名義 , 踏進 了 廣告界
and trained myself but I was unable to get into news.
我 從 到 美國 學校 門口 遞 名片 , 找 廣告 模特兒 ,
Afterwards, I stepped into the advertising world
整理 會議室 , 到 印刷廠 看 打樣 , 還貼 雜誌 的 商偽 貼紙
I began my advertising career by handing out business cards
開始 我 的 廣告人 生涯
我 1985 年 的 時候 踏進 台灣 奧美
1990 年 到 倫敦 奧美 工作
In 1985 I entered into Ogilvy Taiwan.
那 一年 , 碰到 倫敦 不景氣
In 1990 I was working for them in London.
大 裁員 , 好家 在 , 我 剛好 置身事外 哈
That year, London went into recession.
不過 就 剛好 讓 我 這個 工作狂 了解 獨立 生活 的 重要性
There were huge layoffs, luckily I managed to keep my job.
我 在 2003 年 的 時候 轉到 中國 大陸 工作
But it made me, a workaholic,
迎面而來 又 是 一個 Big Bang, 這次 有 一個 英文名字 叫做 SARS
I came in work in China in 2003
大家 還 記得 嗎 ? 記得 的話 , 年紀 跟 我 差不多 哈
and was hit by another Big Bang. This one was called 'SARS'.
那次 的 那個 Big Bang 呢
Do you remember? If you do, you must be around my age.
就是 市場 上 除了 那個 口罩 啊 暢銷 之外
During that Big Bang
所有 的 生意 停擺
all business came to halt, aside from the selling of face masks.
我 , 我 覺得 哦 啊 好 痛苦 啊
All business stopped.
所以 呢 , 我 就 乘機 呢
I thought, wow, how awful.
帶領 , 團隊 , 南征北討 , 也 正 對 内部 啊
So, I took the opportunity
度過 了 我 在 中國 最 艱苦 的 一年
to lead, to organize a team, to fight and re-organize my department
接著 呢 2008
and went through the most difficult year I have experienced in China.
北京奧運
Then in 2008
公司 呢 很 順利
during the Beijing Olympics
真的 成長 , 所以 我 暗自 竊喜
the company was doing well.
這個 一切 都 很 平順 啦
We were really growing, I was quietly very happy.
2009 年
It was all smooth-sailing.
世界 金融 海嘯 爆發 了
In 2009,
我 在 想 怎 麽 那 麽 倒霉 啊
the Global Financial Crisis happened.
結果 呢
I thought, how could I be so unlucky?
我們 那 一次 呢 就 再接再厲
The result was
我們 分享 了 世界 經驗 的 一些 小冊子
through our unrelenting efforts,
然後 跟 客戶 提供 一些 怎 麽 樣
we released a little book of our international experience.
怎 麽 樣去 抵抗 這種 經濟衰退 的 一些 行銷 的 竅 訣
Then, we gave our clients
然後 跟 顧客 度過難關
a way to deal with the economic downfall
我 記得 Peter Truckers 管理 大師 講過
and went through this tough period together with them.
人生 必去 經過 三次 全球 不景氣
I remember the manager Peter Truckers once said
各位 才 算 成熟
people can only be considered mature
按照 他 的 理論
那 我 就是 熟透 了
Based on his theory,
( 觀衆 笑 )
I am overripe.
所以 後來 呢 我 總是 跟 年輕 的 朋友 講
(audience laughs)
就是 , 不管 你 在 什 麽 行業
I always tell my younger friends
面對 任何 工作
no matter what field you're in,
再 微小 , 你 都 不要 拒絕
whatever work you're up against,
因爲 你 不 知道 那個 工作 後面 帶來 的 機會
even if it's minuscule, you never want to refuse it.
事情 再 困難
Because you don't know what opportunities lie on the other side of it.
也 不要 退縮
You don't want to turn it away
因爲 困難 的 事情 可以 拓展 你 全面 的 能量
even if it's difficult
我 的 起步 階段 一點 都 不 順暢
because difficulties can expand your comprehensive capabilities.
充滿 挫折
My starting point was totally rocky
可是 我 現在 想一想 很 高興 新聞 拒絕 了 我 ,
and full of setbacks.
讓 我 撬開 了 廣告 的 大門
But, now I am happy that I was rejected by news
還有 一個 問題
as it pushed me into advertising.
就是 常常 我們 在 人生
尤其 是 在 職場 會 面臨 著 不同 的 選擇
Often, in our lives
到底 呢 我們 需要 去 大國 當 宰相
especially in the different choices we face in our professional lives,
或者 是 小國 稱王
is whether we want to be a 'prime minister' of a big country
我 的 定義 是 這樣
or a 'king' of a small country.
大國 呢 就是 , 也 可能 是 跨過 企業 , 規模 比較 大
These are my definitions:
你 就是 專業 經理人
International companies and large scale enterprises
小國 呢 就是 你 自己 創業 , 你 就是 老闆
You are a management professional.
我 的 經驗 是 這樣
A small country is where you create your own business
當 , 啊 , 到 大國 當 宰相
My experience has been like this:
有點像 我 一樣 哈
To be a 'prime minister',
就是 他 是 可以 , 你 可以 看到 很多 國際 事業
kind of like myself,
比較 見識 多廣
you get to increase your knowledge
它 的 缺點 就是 公公 婆婆 很多
and expand your horizons.
你 的 報告 系統 非常 的 繁複
The downside is you that have a lot of 'relatives'.
很多 人 點頭 , 對 不 對
The reporting system is very complicated.
小國 呢 也 就是 創業 , 你 就是 老闆
You're all nodding your heads, right?
你 可以 決定 一切
In a 'small country', you are the boss.
其實 這 兩個 沒有 什 麽 對錯
You decide everything.
就 不同 的 選擇
Neither of these are right or wrong,
你 也 可以 先當 宰相 再 去當 國王
they're just different choices.
我 想 , 這 幾年
You can first be a prime minister, then decide to be a king.
科技 呢 强迫 很多 行業 轉型
I think, in the past few years
包括 廣告業
technology has forced many industries to transform themselves,
科技 呢 也 製造 了 很多 年輕 的 CEO
including advertising.
我 現在 十張 名片 有 七張
Technology has also produced a lot of young CEOs.
那個 臉蛋 都 很 年輕
I have 10 business cards at the moment,
掛的 都 CEO 總裁
7 of them are from babyfaced people
有 一個 科幻 作家 就講
with 'CEO' written on their card.
未來 已經 到來
A science fiction writer once said
只是 尚未 流行
"The future is already here -
我 在 想 就是 這些 人生 的 熟客
it's just not evenly distributed."
如果 呢 他們 沒有 辦法
I think that older people
與時俱進
who don't
不肯 改變 , 拘泥于 傳統
那個 科技 就 會 over their dead body( 踏過 他們 的 屍體 )
those who are unwilling to change and stick to their old ways,
被 世界 淘汰
those who say 'over my dead body' to the idea of technology
所以 呢 如果 年長 的
will be phased out.
能夠 放下 身段
So, if you're a little older
對 呀 仔細 聆聽
you can relax a little.
然後 各位 年輕 的 稍微 有 一點 耐性
Yeah, listen closely.
不要 怕 嘮叨
The young people in the crowd, be patient.
這 兩個 組群 能夠 互相學習 、 融合
Don't worry, I won't prattle on.
我 相信 臺灣 的 社會 會 更 美好
If these two groups of people can learn from each other and integrate,
各位 同意 嗎 ?
I believe that Taiwan will have a better society because of it.
( 同意 )
Do you agree?
( 觀衆 鼓掌 )
(crowd) Yes.
對 年輕人 來講
(applause)
The night is still young, right? ( 時間 還早 , 對 不 對 ?)
To young people,
所以 呢 不要 因爲 一時 的 困難
the night is still young, right?
妄自菲薄 , 其實 時間 是 站 在 年輕人 身上 的
那像 我 一個 這 麽 平凡 , 沒有 什 麽 背景 的 人
Time is actually on young people's side.
我 可以 一路 克服 那 麽 多 的 不景氣
If an ordinary person with no background like me
困難
could overcome so much bad luck
我 相信 在 坐 的 每 一個 人 都 可以
and difficulties,
面對 未來
then I believe everyone sitting here can.
我 覺得 應該 以 更 開放 的 心胸
When facing the future
跨界 融合 聯結 一切
I think everyone should have an open mind
當 個數 位 時代 的 Connector ( 連接器 )
and work together
我 相信 這樣 會 讓 你 開門 , 更 有力
to be a 'connector' to the digital age.
然後 也 讓 你 暢行無阻
I believe this will open doors for you, give you strength
那 面對 未來
and then nothing will stop you.
我 自己 創了 一個 ATM ( 取款機 )
In regards to facing the future
然後 呢 也 提供 了 一張 提款卡
I made an 'ATM'
叫做 人 人生 財富 提款卡
and then added a debit card.
都 是 八八 八 , 大家 發現
It's called 'Life's wealth debit card'
一路 順 的 啊
The numbers are all '8', as you can see.
這張 提款卡 有個 密碼
They're all the same.
就是 叫 ATM
This card has a PIN.
A
我 建議 各位 用 AND 去 鏈接
which is 'ATM'.
讓 either or 的 思維 退位
I suggest you use 'and' to connect
那 AND 的 這個 思維 , 是 讓 我
and get rid of 'either/or' thinking.
其實 在 學校 是 我 出 了 很多 對 未來 工作 很 有 幫助 的 課程
Now 'and' has actually made me-
到 了 廣告 以後 , 我 也 學 了 很多 跟 所有 工作 相關 的 知識 啊 、 或 經驗 啊
I actually took many classes at university that were helpful in during my career.
我 都 來者不拒 , 學了 整合 資源 的 功夫 啊
After going into advertising,
賈伯斯
I didn't refuse lessons from anyone, so I gained a comprehensive skill set.
在 他 自傳 裏面 就 講 説
Steve Jobs
很多 人稱 贊他 , 説 你 很 , 你 很棒 , 你 很 有創造力
said in his autobiography
他 難得 謙虛 的 啊
that so many people said how great he was, and praised him for his creativity.
他 説 : “ 我 不是 原創 , 我 衹 是 把 我 看到 的 、 學習 到 的
Modest guy, right?
知道 的 , 連接 在 一起
He said: 'I'm not innovative, I just take what I've learned, what I've seen
多 我 來講 , 這個 就是 AND 的 極大 的 思維
所以 建議 各位 用 AND 去 鏈接 所有 的 點線面
For me, this is the meaning of 'and'.
當個 整合 資源 的 高手 哈
So, I suggest that you all use 'and' to connect all of your starting points
Target
and become an all-rounder.
人生 任何 階段 做什 麽 事情
Target
你 都 可以 讓 目標 清楚
衹 是 我 建議 各位 要 Go for extra miles ( 多 付出 一點點 )
you can always set a clear goal for yourself.
把 你 的 目標 提高
I suggest to you all that you go the extra mile.
你 就 跳 得 比較 高 , 當然 姿勢 要 美妙 一點
If you make your goal higher
我舉 個例
you will jump higher and your posture will be a little better.
2003 年 , 我 到 中國 大陸 的 時候
公司 有 一個 五年計劃
In 2003, when I went to Mainland China
定 了 三倍 成長 的 目標
the company had a five year plan
現在 看 好像 沒什 麽
and had set three goals for growth.
但是 十二年 前 的 中國
Nowadays, this seems like nothing
我 覺得 我 上 了 一條 賊船
but back in China twenty years ago
然後 我們 世界 的 CEO 來到 中國 看 我們 的 五年計劃
I felt like I had just joined a gang.
他 覺得 這是 一個 中國 特色 的 樂觀主義
Then, our international CEO came to China and saw our five year plan.
沒有 人 相信 , 也 沒有 人 有把握
He thought it was a special type of Chinese optimism.
那 我 呢 , 除了 量 的 目標 , 我 非常 在意 質 的 目標
Nobody believed in it and nobody grasped it.
包括 公司 作品 、 文化 、 員工 滿意度 、 企業 文化 跟 公司 環境
For me, aside from setting my goal, my very idealistic goal,
我們 在 2007 年
including the company's work, culture,
達成 了 三倍 的 目標
In 2007
那 一年 我 也 升官 變成 了 奧美 中國 的 CEO
we achieved three times our target.
我們 有 經歷 了 第二次 五年計劃
That year I was promoted to the CEO of China, Aomen and Macao.
在 2001 年 奧美 變成 了 全球 的 第三 大 辦公室
We created a second five year plan.
其實 呢 , 我 覺得 量 的 成長
In 2001, the Aomen office became the third largest worldwide.
一番 兩倍 , 有沒有
Actually, I think our measurable growth
但是 質 的 提升 是 永無止境 的
doubled
所以 只有 你 質量 並重 的 目標
but our increase in quality is never-ending.
我們 才 不會 自滿
So if we focus on improving our quality and output
其實 個人 目標 也 一樣
we will always be unsatisfied.
你 要 有 個 高度
量 的 高度
You need to set an aim,
會 讓 我們 看得 比 較遠
a measurable aim
質 的 深度 會 逼 的 我們 下功夫
to make you look further.
質量 並重 , 你 才 不會 自滿
The higher the quality of something,
接下來 是 M
By putting equal stress on quality and output, you will never be satisfied.
可能 第三個 密碼
Continuing, there is M.
可能 有人 會 想到 Money ( 錢 )
Maybe the third password.
也 沒錯
Some may think of Money,
但是 我 覺得 它 比 money 更 重要 、 更 無價
which isn't wrong.
就是 moral, 品格
But for me, what's more important, more valuable than money
古人 說 , 立德 、 立功 、 立言 , 對 吧
is morals, one's character.
德是 做人 的 根本
In ancient times they said to first establish your morals,
只要 有 品德
Morality is the basis of your conduct.
那 你 就是 堂堂正正 的 人
then you are a strong and disciplined person.
所有 的 立功 , 立言 如果 沒有 立德 當 基礎
它 其實 就是 海市蜃樓
If your achievements and perspective have no basis in morality
滅有 辦法 持久
then they are actually a mirage,
我 很久以前 看 了 一 本書
there's no way they will last.
是 一個 德國 哲學家 寫 的
A long time ago, I read a book
很薄 的 一 本書 , 叫做 人 的 條件
written by a German philosopher.
裏面 有 一句 話
A really big book called 'The Human Condition'.
人 的 品格 是 在 別人 看不到 的 時候 形成 的
There was a sentence within:
我 相信 每 一個 人 心中 都 有 把 尺
One's character forms when others cannot see.
這把尺 爲 你 的 品德 做 導航
I believe that everyone has a 'ruler' of sorts.
所以 建議 各位 本著 你 的 良知 良心
You navigate your morality with this ruler.
你 開門 之後 決定 哪 一些 對 的 事情
I suggest that everyone follows their conscience.
然後 全力以赴 把 事情 作對
Decide what's right after opening the door
在 這個 雲端 大 數據 裡
then do all you can to do things right.
凡 走過 必留 痕跡
In this time of cloud data
好 的 品德 早 造就 好 的 口碑
you will leave traces everywhere you go.
我 覺得 我們 每 一個 人 都 要 把握 底 綫
Good moral character will create a good reputation.
不 越界
I think we all should determine the bottom line
有所爲有所不爲
今天 呢 我 跟 大家 分享 了 我 的 ATM
Some things we can do, some we can't.
And 爲 你 聯結
Today I shared my 'ATM' with you.
Target 讓 你 跳高
'And' is for you to connect.
M,Moral 造 你 口碑
'Target' makes you jump higher.
這樣 你 可以 集 跨度 、 高度 還有 深度 于 一身
M, 'Moral' is your reputation.
我 不 知道 我 的 人生 長廊 還有 多少 門要 去 敲
This way you can utilize the breadth, height and depth of your achievements.
但是 我 決定 我 還是 英勇 地要 去 敲門
I don't know how many more doors I have to knock on in this life
歡迎 各位 跟 我 一樣
but I know that I will still approach them bravely.
當你 開門 之後
I welcome you all to do the same.
看到 喜歡 的
After you've opened the door,
好好 珍惜
see what you like
發揚光大
cherish it,
看到 不 喜歡
develop it.
無法 容忍 , 動手 改變
See what you don't like
希望 我們 大家 一起 創造 一個 精彩 的 人生
and if you can't stand it, change it.
謝謝 各位
I hope we all create a wonderful life.
( 觀衆 鼓掌 )
Thank you.