超越 一輩子 的 愛 :卓佑宣 (Kelsey Lauren Cho) at TEDxTaipei 2012
|a lifetime|||||Lauren|||
Eine Liebe, die über ein Leben hinausgeht: Kelsey Lauren Cho bei TEDxTaipei 2012
Love beyond a lifetime: Kelsey Lauren Cho at TEDxTaipei 2012
Más allá de una vida de amor: Kelsey Lauren Cho en TEDxTaipei 2012
超越一辈子的爱:卓佑宣(Kelsey Lauren Cho) at TEDxTaipei 2012
大家 好
Hello everyone!
我 是 卓佑宣
I am Kelsey Lauren Cho.
你們 相信 嗎
you||
Guess what?
其實 我 兩個 禮拜 前才剛 又 出院
||||||discharged
I was just released from the hospital again two weeks ago.
而 我 現在 身體 也還 處在 一個 肝臟 排斥 的 狀態
|||||||liver|||state
Currently, my body may still be experiencing liver rejection.
那為 什麼 呢
what||
And why?
我們 回到 故事 的 最初
||||beginning
Let's start from the beginning.
1995 年 1 月 13 的 時候
year|||
I was born in Alaska, US
我 生於 美國 的 阿拉斯加州
|born in|||
on January 13th, 1993.
而 八歲 的 時候 我 回到 了 台灣
|eight years old||||||
When I was eight, I came back to Taiwan.
我 現在 目前 就讀 師大附中
||currently||
I now study in the NTNU Senior High School.
而 跟 大家 最 不 一樣 的 地方 就是
|||||the same|||
What sets me apart from others is that
我 十一個月 大 的 時候 我 換過 肝
|eleven months||||||
I'd undergone a liver transplant when I was eleven-months-old.
那 在 我 媽媽 肚子 裡的 時候
|||mom|||
When my mom was pregnant with me,
醫生 發現 我 有 嚴重 的 小腸 閉鎖
|||||||obstruction
doctors found that I had a severe case of Intestinal Atresia.
而 它 所 造成 的 腹部 積水 呢
||||||accumulation of fluid|
It caused an accumulation of abdominal fluid
已經 壓到 我 的 心臟 了
|pressed down on|||heart|
so severe that it was suppressing my heart.
也 因此 , 我 早產 了 兩個 月
|||prematurely|||
Because of this, I was born two months premature.
那生 出來 之後 就是 馬上 開刀 截除 已經 壞死 的 小腸
that life|||||surgery|||necrotic||
Immediately after I was born, I underwent surgery
以及 排掉 要 我 的 積水 的 部分
|drain off||||||
to remove the infected part of my intestines and to relieve the fluid buildup.
但是 術後 不久 醫生 覺得 怎麼 這麼 奇怪
|post-operative||||||
Not long after my operation, the doctors found it strange
為 什麼 這個 小孩子 的 黃疸 都 不 退掉 呢
|||||jaundice||||
that my jaundice didn't go away.
而且 它還 越來越 黃
|||yellow
Instead, my skin turned more and more yellow.
那 究竟 是 為 什麼 呢
|exactly||||
So why was that happening?
後來 檢驗 出來 發現 我 患有 先天性 膽道 閉鎖 症
|||||||bile duct||syndrome
Further tests showed that I had a condition called "congenital biliary atresia".
於是 我 做 了 葛西 式 手術
||||Kawasaki||
so then my doctors performed the "Kasai Procedure" on me,
葛 西式 手術 就是 藉由 一個 人工 的 方法 將 膽道 撐開
|||||||||||opened
which is an operation to artificially widen my bile ducts
想 辦法 使 它 暢通
|method|||
so to unblock them.
但是 後來 就是
However,
宣布 葛 西式 手術 失敗
the operation failed.
這時候 醫生 就 跟 我 媽媽 說
The doctor told my mother,
現在 救 你 女兒 的 唯一 辦法 就是 肝臟 移植
"The only way to save your daughter now is if she has a liver transplant"
但是 很 可惜 的 , 我 的 父母 都 無法 成為 我 的 捐贈者
Unfortunately, my parent weren't able to be my donor.
而 我 也 成為 等候 器官 捐贈 名單 上面 的 一名
So, I became one of the patients on the liver transplant waiting list.
但是 換肝 究竟 要 等 多久 呢
Exactly how long will it take to get a new liver?
在 這 漫長 的 等待 過程 中
In this long period on the waiting list,
我 不 知道 我 與 死亡 擦肩而過 多少次
I can't remember how many times I'd nearly died.
而 沒有 人 知道 我還 可以 活多久
And no one knew how long I could live.
沒有 人 知道 我 什麼 時候 會 走
No one knew when I might die.
你 能 想像 嗎 ? 要是 是 你 的 孩子
Imagine this scenario where
你 每天 看著 他 的 病情 日益嚴重
your child gets sicker and sicker every day
但是 , 你 什麼 都 不能 做
and there is very little you can do.
可是 幸好 , 有 一天 我們 接到 了 一 通電話 告訴 我們
Fortunately, one day we got a phone call.
"We found your daughter a match"
"We found your daughter a match!"
我們 找 了 一顆 合適 的 肝
A suitable liver donor was found.
於是 , 我 獲得 了 重生
That was how I got a new life.
而 這是 我換 肝前 的 樣子
This is what I looked like before the liver transplant.
昨天 , 優席夫 說 他 是 大家 最 喜歡 的 蜜糖 褐
Yesterday, Yosifu said that his skin color is sweet honey brown.
那 我 想 我 應該 是 南瓜 黃
I think mine was pumpkin yellow.
而 這是 我換 肝 後 的 樣子
And this is what I looked like after the transplant.
但是 其實 這 不是 結束
But my story doesn't just end here.
換肝 並 不 代表 痊癒
Having a new liver doesn't mean I was fully recovered
並不 代表 我 的 健康 從此 安好
or that I can be healthy from here onwards.
十七年 來 我 的 身體 仍然 會 排斥 我 這 換來 的 肝
In the past 17 years, my body has been rejecting my new liver.
因為 這肝 根本 就 不是 我 的 阿
It's probably because this liver is just not mine!
對 阿
Yeah...
也 產生 出 許多 問題 像是 排斥
With this transplant comes problems like rejection,
自體 免疫 , 還有 關節 上 的 疼痛
auto-immunity, and joint pains.
而 我 去 醫院 的 次數 就 跟 在 逛 菜市場 一樣
The number of hospital trips taken is like for others heading to supermarkets.
我 每次 去 抽血 的 時候
Every time I went to draw blood,
抽血 阿姨 都 會 說
the nurse would say,
佑萱 你 來 拉
"Hey Kelsey, you're here!"
那 這 三位 醫生 也 是 我 的 第二個 家庭
These three doctors are like my second family.
其中 我 的 主治醫師 倪衍玄 醫師
My attending physician Dr. Nee,
已經 照顧 我 十年 多 了
has been looking after me for over ten years.
那 從小到大
Since my childhood,
我 在 身體 情況 好 一點 的 時候
I have been in and out of hospitals. Whenever I feel a little better,
我 和 我 的 媽媽 就 會 去 關心 醫院 裡 別的 小朋友
I went to console other children staying at the hospital.
甚至 去 激發 他們 的 家長
I also reached out to their parents.
也 是 因為 這樣 , 去年 四月 的 時候
Because of these visits, in April of last year,
我 遇到 了 一個 跟 我 患有 相同 病症 的 妹妹
I met a sister who had the same condition as me
他 是 雨 霏
Her name is Yu-Fei,
而 那 時候 他 三個 月 大
and she was three-months-old at the time.
但是 去年 十一月 的 是 後 他 接受 了 肝移植 手術
Last November, she went through a liver transplant.
這是 他換 肝 後 一週 的 樣子
This is what she looked like after the surgery.
那 時候 我 發現
That was when I found out that
光是 我 的 出現
just my companionship alone
就 可以 給 別人 帶來 希望
can bring hope to others.
這樣 好像 a ray of light( 一線 光明 )
It's like a ray of light.
這樣 我 就 可以 給 別人 帶來 希望
If I can bring people hope simply by lending my hand,
那 我 是不是 應該 更 積極 一點
shouldn't I be more active
去 倡導 這個 議題 呢
in advocating a caring movement?
現在 需要 器官 捐贈 的 人數 不知凡幾
Now, countless people are on the waiting list for organ transplants,
但是 捐贈 的 人數 卻 屈指可數
but only a handful of people donate.
我們 要 領悟 到 我們 每 一個 人
We have to understand that,
台下 的 每 一位
each one of us here in this room
都 有 可能 將來 也 是 需要 器官 捐贈 的
may one day need organ transplants.
我們 也 不能 保證 我們 不是 下 一個
There is no way to guarantee that we aren't the next ones.
來看 看 數據
Let's take a look at some stats.
現在 全世界 有 115613 人 需要 器官 捐贈
Currently, there are 115,613 people around the world who need organ transplants,
但是 捐贈 的 人 只有 6930 人
but there are only 6,930 donors.
台灣 有 近 八千 人 需要 器官 捐贈
In Taiwan, there are close to 8,000 patients who need organ transplants,
捐贈者 的 人數 135 人
but only 135 donors.
如果 我們 在 縮小 範圍 的話
If we focus on a particular region,
光是 北部 地區 就 有 3609 人 需要 捐贈
in norther Taiwan, there are 3,609 patients who need organ transplants,
但是 捐贈者 人數 只有 58 人
but only 58 donors.
看到 這個 會 有點 失望
These stats are a bit disappointing.
這 其實 是 我 每 一次 住院 的 心情 寫照
This is the same feeling I have every time I return to the hospital.
我 每次 住院 的 時候
With every trip to the hospital,
心情 其實 都 很 複雜
I have mixed feelings.
我 這次 是 排斥 呢 ?
Will my body experience rejection again this time?
還是 自體 免疫 ?
or will I be auto-immuned?
我 甚至 還會 想 我 需不需要 換 第二次 肝
At times I thought I might need to go through another liver transplant.
但是 後來 我 發現
But then later on I discovered that
其實 擔心 這些 一點 都 沒有 用
there is no point in worrying.
擔心 不會 讓 事情 好 起來
Worrying won't make things better.
擔心 有時候 還會 讓 事情 更糟
Worrying sometimes even make things worse.
所以 我 就 學會 一個 比較 樂觀 的 態度
So, I've learned to take on an optimistic attitude,
一個 隨遇而安 的 態度
a "go-with-the-flow" attitude
去 面對 這些 大大小小 的 問題
to face all problems.
因為 器官 捐贈 讓 我 重生
Because I regained a new life through organ transplant,
所以 我 覺得 生命 真的 非常 可貴
I especially value life.
今年 來 我 看到 很多 青少年 自殺
This year alone, I've heard many incidents of teens committing suicide.
原因 眾多 但是 都 很 荒謬
Their reasons are often at times ridiculous.
一樣 , 除了 身體 上 的 不適
Besides my health condition,
我 也 遇到 了 很多 困境
I have encountered other problems just like anyone else.
像 我剛 搬回來 的 時候
For example, when I first moved back to Taiwan,
適應 新 的 環境
I had to adjust to a new environment.
culture shock( 文化 衝擊 )
a "culture shock"
然後 我 雙親 離異 等等
and my parent's divorce, etc.
我 剛回來 我還 記得 我 跟 我 媽講
I can still remember telling my mom
我 第一個 反應 是
my initial impression of Taiwan:
"Wow, everybody has black hair here"( 大家 都 有 黑頭髮 耶 )
"Wow, everyone has black hair here!"
因為 那 時候 在 美國 我 是 黑頭髮
My black hair in US
是 很少 人有 的
was quite rare.
"appreciate and cherish life"( 感謝 與 珍惜 生命 )
"appreciate and cherish life"
或許 我們 真的 覺得
At time we may think that
有時候 人生 是 黑白 的
life is pretty dull.
但是 我們 不能 一 遇到困難 我們 就 放棄
But, we shouldn't give up
就 束手無策
whenever we encounter difficulties.
因為 生命 就是 應該 讓 它 活 的 有 色彩 一點
Our life is supposed to be rich with colors.
我 小時候 最常問 的 兩個 問題 就是
The two questions I asked most often when I was little were
第一個 是 "Why?"( 為 什麼 ?)
"Why?"
第二個 是 "Why me?"( 為 什麼 是 我 ?)
and the other, "Why me?"
但是 我 後來 覺得
but later on I thought,
要是 我們 沒有 更好 的 解決辦法
when we're left with no alternatives,
那 我們 就 在 最 不好 的 情況 下
let's try to bring out the best
想 辦法 活 出 最好 的 自己 吧
under the current circumstances.
畢竟 " 生命 的 意義 不是 在 等待 風暴 的 過去 "
After all, "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass"
" 而是 學習 如何 在 雨 中 跳舞 "
"but learning how to dance in the rain."
這是 我 媽媽 每次 在 我 住院 和 生病 的 時候
My mother always said to me
都 會 跟 我講 的 一句 話
every time when I was sick and hospitalized,
"you can do it"( 你 可以 做到 )
"You can do it."
所以 我 想要 大家 跟 我 複誦 這句 話
So I would like everyone here to repeat after me,
"you can do it"( 你 可以 做到 )
"You can do it!"
再 一次 "you can do it"( 你 可以 做到 )
Again. "You can do it!"
這麼 多年 下來
After all these years,
我 實在 覺得 我們 應該 更 重視 這 兩個 議題
I really think we should focus on these two issues.
所以 我 做 一個 調查 就是
So I've conducted a research.
平均 一天 有 18 人 因為 沒有 得到 器官 捐贈 而 死亡
On average, 18 people die every day because they didn't receive organ transplants.
可是 你 知道 嗎
But you know what?
我們 一個 人 , 就 可以 為 八個 人 帶來 希望
Each one of us can bring hope to 8 people.
我 也 希望 就是
And my hope,
我 最大 的 希望 就是
my greatest hope is to
讓 更 多 人 可以 成為 器官 捐贈者
encourage more and more people to become organ donors.
讓 更 多 的 人 可以 因此 而 活命
Let more people have a chance to live because of the transplants.
讓 更 多 的 家庭 可以 因此 而 受惠
Let more families benefit because of these actions.
我 也 想 在 這邊 為 那些
I also want to speak for
跟 我 有 相同 遭遇 的 發聲
those who are in the same boat with me,
跟 大家 說
to let everyone know that
"we are here, and we exist"( 我們 在 , 我們 存在 )
"We are here, and we exist."
這是 我 四歲 的 時候
This picture of me was when I was four-years-old.
代表 阿拉斯加州 到 美國國會
I went to the US Congress representing Alaska
倡導 器官 捐贈 重要性 的 照片 之一
to advocate the importance of organ donation.
我 想 說 的 是
What I want to say is,
只要 你 相信
nothing is impossible
凡事 都 是 做 的 到 的
if only you believe.
各位 , 你 今天 在 這裡 就 可以 改變 世界
To the folks here, you can change the world right here, right now.
大家 應該 都 有 拿到 一張 器官 捐贈 同意書
Each of you should have an organ donation consent form.
如果 你 今天 簽下 這張
If you sign it today,
你 就 可以 跟 我 一樣
you can be an organ donor
成為 一個 器官 捐贈者
just like me.
你 就 可以 為 八個 人 帶來 希望
You can bring hope to 8 people,
你 可以 造福 八個 家庭
and benefit 8 families.
就 像 甘地 所說 的
Like the quote from Gandhi,
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
你 要 成為 你 希望 看到 的 改變
Be the change.
你 能夠 改變 的
You can make a difference.
為 什麼
Because I've just made everyone say
我剛 才 說 什麼
你 可以 做到 的 , 對 不 對
"you can do it", right?
所以 , 在 說 一次
So, say it again.
"You can do it"
"You can do it."
跟 你 右邊 的 人 講說 "You can do it"
Tell the person on your right, "You can do it."
跟 你 左邊 的 人 說 "You can do it"
Tell the person on your left, "You can do it."
現在 你 相信 你 可以 做到 嗎
Now do you believe you can do it?
你 可以 嗎 ?
Do you?
很 好
Good.
未來 就是 現在
The future is now,
讓 我們 一起 改變 它 吧
Let's make the change together.
我 是 卓佑萱
I am Kelsey Lauren Cho.
謝謝
Thank you.