沒有 「負面 能量 」是 好事 嗎 ?需要 重新認識 的 「情緒反應 」Acknowledge and Embrace Your Negative Emotions | 陳 永儀 May Chen | TEDxTaipei
Is it a good thing not to have "negative energy"? "Emotional reactions" that need to be re-understood Acknowledge and Embrace Your Negative Emotions | May Chen | TEDxTaipei
如果 我 跟 你 說 ,
在 臺北 監獄 裡面 ,
What if I said to you
服刑 的 性侵 暴力 犯 ,
that the violent criminals and sex offenders inside Taipei Prison
他們 的 情緒 控制能力 ,
比 我們 的 大學生 要 好 很多 。
are much better at controlling their emotions
你們 相信 嗎 ?
than our university students?
從事 心理學 的 研究 ,
Would you believe me?
讓 我 有 機會 到 不同 的 地方 ,
Since I do psychological research,
常常 認識 不 一樣 的 人 。
I often have the opportunity to go to different places
在 過去 幾年 當中 ,
and get to know different kinds of people.
除了 有 機會 能夠 跟 大學生 互動 之外 ,
Over the past few years,
臺北 監獄 , 也 是 我 常常 進出 的 地方 。
in addition to working with university students,
剛剛 所 跟 大家 提到 的 是 ,
I've also visited Taipei Prison often.
我們 最近 的 一項 研究 結果 。
What I just mentioned is the result of our latest study.
一 開始 的 時候 ,
也 有點 讓 我們 驚訝 。
When we started,
情緒 , 它 到底 是 甚麼 ?
we were a little surprised too.
它 是 好 還是 不好 ?
Emotion. What is it exactly?
你 會 想要 擁有 它 嗎 ?
Is it good or bad?
我 從 高中 開始 就 在 外面 打工 ,
Do you want to have them?
很 早就 被 告知 :
I started working part time when I was in high school.
來 上班 的 時候 要 把 我 的 情緒 留在 門外 ,
I was told very early on,
之後 , 又 學到 「 專業 」 這 兩個 字 的 定義 。
"When you come to work, leave your emotions at the door."
很 重要 的 一部分 是 沒有 情緒 。
Then I learned what people meant by the word "professional."
碰到 再 無理 的 人 不 可以 生氣 ;
A very important part of it is to not have emotions.
自己 心裡 再 難過 也 不 可以 流眼淚 ,
Not to get angry when you encounter someone unreasonable.
那 是 在職 場上 。
Not to cry when you feel sad.
回到 家裡 , 跟 家人 起 了 爭執 ,
That's in the workplace.
動不動 對方 就 會 說 : 「 妳 不要 這麼 情緒化 好不好 ?」
At home, if you have a disagreement with your family,
情緒 , 一旦 有 了 它 ,
好像 就 變成 了 二等 公民 ,
Emotions: when you have them, it's like you've become a second-class citizen.
講 的話 再 有理 也 沒有 用 了 。
或許 你 會 說 :「 那 是 你 的 年代 ,
現在 的 小朋友 不 一樣 哦 , 從小 就 接受 全方位 的 訓練 。」
Now you might say,
是 這樣 嗎 ?
今年初 , 我們 開始 一項 研究 計劃 ,
Is that so?
是 要 教 小學生 認識 情緒 , 發展 他們 的 EQ ( 情緒 智商 )。
Early this year, we started a research project
上課 的 時候 ,
to get elementary students to identify their emotions and develop their EQ.
我們 就問 小朋友 ,
In class we asked the children,
生氣 是 什麼 感覺 啊 ?
你 最近 ㄧ 次 生氣 是 什麼 時候 記不 記得 ?
"What is anger?
小朋友 回答 :
Do you remember the last time you were angry?"
「 我 不 知道 。」
The children replied,
「 沒有 , 爸媽 說 不 可以 生氣 。」
"I don't know.
「 老師 說 , 生氣 是 不好 的 。」
I don't. Mom and Dad say I shouldn't get angry.
情緒 , 這樣 子 一個 不 被 人 愛 、
沒有 人要 的 東西 。
為 什麼 , 它 在 演化 的 過程 當中 ,
還 沒有 被 淘汰 掉 ?
Why hasn't evolution just gotten rid of them?
為 什麼 它還 可以 存留 到 今天 呢 ?
原因 很多 ,
How have they managed to survive until today?
很 重要 的 一個 , 是 它 可以 救命 。
There are many reasons.
也許 救 的 , 沒有 像 前 幾位 講者 那麼 多 。
An important one is that they can save lives.
但是 還是 可以 救命 。 ( 笑聲 )
Maybe not as many lives as the previous speakers have,
我 曾經 有 ㄧ 個 病人 ,
but they can still save lives.
是 紐約 華爾街 上 的 女強人 。
I once had a patient
她 ㄧ 開始 來 找 我 , 是 希望 能夠 更 認識 自己 ,
who was a successful career woman on Wall Street.
能夠 發展 她 的 領導 能力 , 使 她 成為 一個 更好 的 領導者 。
She first came to me hoping to get to know herself better
她 跟 我 分享 , 在 這樣 一個 以 男性 為主 的 環境 上班 ,
so she could develop her leadership skills and become a better leader.
是 不 可以 顯露出 自己 軟弱 或 脆弱 的 一面 的 。
She shared with me that when working in a male-dominated environment,
所以 長期 下來 ,
you can't reveal your weaknesses and frailties.
會 需要 壓抑 這方面 的 情緒 。
After a long time working like this, you learn to suppress your emotions.
在 我們 諮商 的 過程 當中 , 她 的 婚姻 起 了 變化 ,
跟 先生 的 感情 , 變得 不 穩定 。
During the time I counseled her, she started having marital problems.
在 一次 爭吵 的 過程 當中 ,
她 先生 拿 起 桌上 的 玻璃杯 , 就 朝 她 砸 了 過去 。
One time during a fight,
她 很快 的 閃開 了 ,
he picked up a glass from the table and flung it at her.
玻璃杯 砸 到 牆上 ,
She quickly got out of the way.
碎片 一地 都 是 。
The glass hit the wall,
那 時候 我問 了 她 一句
and there were shards of glass everywhere.
所有 心理醫生 遲早 都 會問 病人 的 問題 。
Afterwards, I asked her a question
How did you feel ?
that all psychologists eventually ask their patients:
你 有 什麼 感覺 啊 ?
"How did you feel?"
她 說 :「 我 很 生氣 , 你 怎麼 可以 對 我 這樣 子 啊 !」
"How did you feel?"
我 說 :「 還有 呢 ?」
She said, "I felt angry. How can he treat me like this?"
她 說 :「 我 也 很 失望 。 這個 人 , 當初 我 嫁給 他 的 時候 ,
I said, "What else?"
不是 這個 樣子 的 。」
She said "I felt hopeless.
請問 , 有沒有 哪 一些 情緒 , 是 你們 認為 在 這樣 的 情境 底下 ,
應該 有 , 而 她 沒有 講到 的 ?
Are there any emotions
害怕 。
that she hadn't mentioned?
害怕 的 時候 我們 會 怎麼樣 ?
Fear.
逃跑 。
What happens when we're scared?
生氣 的 時候 , 又 可能 怎麼 做 呢 ?
We flee.
攻擊 對方 。
這時候 如果 情緒 辨識 錯誤 , 我們 應該 害怕 而 逃跑 的 時候 ,
We attack the other person.
卻 以 為 我們 很 生氣 , 而 去 攻擊 對方 ,
If we can't correctly identify our emotions,
可能 會 產生 很 嚴重 的 後果 。
we might think we're angry and attack someone;
這位 女強人 , 長期 的 壓抑 、 甚至 轉移 她 脆弱 、 軟弱 的 情緒 。
this can lead to very serious consequences.
以至於 她 已經 不 知道 , 害怕 是 什麼 感覺 了 。
This woman had stifled
情況 有點 緊急 ,
that she had forgotten what it is to feel fear.
我 不能 在 很 短 的 時間 之內 , 叫 她 重新 經歷 害怕 的 感受 。
Her situation was urgent,
更 沒有 這樣 子 的 機會 , 讓 她 在 大腦 當中 ,
and I couldn't teach her in such a short time
重新 建立 這樣 的 迴路 。
So I don't have the chance to reestablish this kind of "circuit" in her brain.
這是 一張 大腦 的 圖 , 剛剛 之前 你們 已經 看過 了 。
在 這個 害怕 經歷 的 時候 呢 ,
This is a diagram of the brain, the one you've just seen.
其實 我們 的 身體 , 是 經由 我們 五官 ,
When we experience fear,
眼睛 看到 的 、 耳朵 聽到 的 等等 ,
the information from the body's five senses -
把 周圍 相關 的 資訊 , 經過 我們 的 視丘 ,
what we see, what we hear and so on -
傳到 我們 的 感覺 皮質 去 做 處理 。
is passed from the thalamus
剛剛 所 提到 的 , 海馬迴 負責 記憶 ,
to the sensory cortex for processing.
就 會 下載 跟 這些 情境 相關 的 記憶 ,
The hippocampus, which is in charge of memory,
把 它 送到 杏仁核 去 做 比對 。
will download the relevant information from the situation
杏仁核 裡面 儲存 的 是 我們 過去 緊急 和 害怕 的 經驗 。
and send it to the amygdala for comparison.
比對 之後 杏仁核 會 決定 危險 的 程度 ,
The amygdala stores our previous experiences of fear.
然後 再 命令 我們 的 hypothalamus,
It evaluates the level of danger compared to past experiences
下視丘 , 去 做 適當 的 回應 。
and then orders the hypothalamus to make an appropriate response.
大家 可以 看到 , 在 這樣 的 迴路 當中 ,
過去 的 經驗 跟 記憶 , 會 扮演 非常 重要 的 角色 。
You can see that in this circuit,
而 這個 時候 , 沒有 時間 再 重新 建立 這樣 的 迴路 了 。
past experiences and memories play a very important role.
所以 我們 只好 從 認知 著手 。
But we didn't have enough time to reestablish it.
告訴 這位 女強人 , 下 一次 這種 情況 發生 的 時候 ,
So we could only work on awareness and recognition.
你 不管 心裡面 有 什麼 感覺 , 請 你 馬上 打電話 給 911( 報警 )。
I told this woman, "The next time this happens,
我們 不斷 的 演練 , 反覆 的 練習 ,
no matter how you feel, you have to call 911 immediately."
結果 真的 有 一次 , 他們 又 吵架 了 。
We went over it repeatedly,
這 一次 , 他 先生 拿 出來 的 就是 一把 刀 。
and in the end, there was a time when they fought again.
事後 , 她 跟 我 說 當時 她 很 生氣 ,
This time, her husband grabbed a knife.
看著 他 , 猶豫 了 好 幾秒鐘 , 但是 因為 我們 練習 了 好 幾次 ,
Afterwards, she told me she was angry at the time,
最終 她 還是 打 了 電話 給 911。
she looked at him and hesitated for a few seconds,
還好 警察 在 七分鐘 之內 , 就 到達 了 現場 。
避免 了 一個 悲劇 的 發生 。
Fortunately, the police arrived within 7 minutes
情緒 , 可以 主導 我們 的 行為 、 決定 行為 的 後果 。
and tragedy was avoided.
正確 的 辨識 情緒 , 是 可以 救命 的 。
Emotions can direct our actions and decide their consequences.
當然 這是 個 比較 極端 的 例子 。
Correctly identifying emotions can save your life.
在 比較 不 極端 的 一方面 , 我們 過去 的 研究 不斷 的 顯示 ,
Of course, this is a more extreme example.
情緒 跟 我們 的 身體 、 心理健康 ,
On the less extreme side,
跟 我們 的 學習 、 工作 表現 、
領導力 、 創造力 , 都 有 密切 直接 的 關係 。
our academic achievements and job performance,
但是 , 情緒 到底 是 什麼 呢 ?
our leadership skills and creativity
其實 , 它 就是 一種 感覺 。
But what exactly are emotions?
一種 屬於 我們 個人 主觀 的 感受 。
In fact, they're a kind of feeling,
它會 被 很多 東西 影響 。
our own subjective experience.
例如 , 我們 的 想法 。
They can be influenced by many things.
它 也 會 造成 一些 不同 的 行為 反應 , 就 像 打人 。
Like our thoughts and opinions.
我 很 生氣 , 因為 我 認為 你 騙 我 了 。
They can also lead to different actions, like attacking someone.
所以 我 就 打 你 。
"I'm so angry because I think you tricked me!
我 的 認知 可能 有誤 , 因為 我 誤會 你 了 。
So I'm going to hit you."
我 的 行為 可能 不 對 , 因為 再 生氣 也 不能 打人 啊 !
My thinking could be wrong because I misunderstood you.
但是 , 感受 本身 , 是 沒有 是非 、 對錯 、 好壞 的 。
My behavior could also be wrong,
在 美國 , 常常 聽到 人家 講 一句 話 。
But feelings themselves aren't right or wrong,
You shouldn't feel that way.
In the United States, you'll often hear people say,
你 不 應該 有 這種 感覺 。
"You shouldn't feel that way."
我 很 不 喜歡 聽到 這句 話 ,
這就 好比 我 跟 你 說 :「 我 好 冷 噢 !」
I hate it when people say that.
你 說 :「 欸 , 你 不 應該 這麼 冷耶 !」
It's like if I said to you, "I'm so cold!"
( 笑聲 )
And you replied, "Then stop feeling cold!"
這個 是 屬於 你 個人 的 主觀 感受 ,
(Laughter)
沒有 人有 權利 可以 告訴 你 ,
This is your own subjective experience.
你 這樣 的 感受 , 是 對 還是 不 對 、 是 好 還是 不好 。
Nobody has the right to tell you
這時候 你 可能 會 想到 ,
that what you're experiencing is right or wrong, good or bad.
監獄 裡面 的 暴力 犯 。
At this point you might ask,
不 就是 情緒 出 了 問題 , 才 會 做出 這些 事 嗎 ?
"Are you saying that the criminals in prison
我 回想到 在 臺北 監獄 裡面 , 給 他們 做 評估 的 時候 。
got there just because of emotional problems?"
我會 問 同樣 的 犯人 同樣 的 問題 :
I remember when I was in Taipei Prison evaluating them,
「 你 當時 做 這樣 事情 的 時候 , 什麼 感覺 啊 ?」
I asked them the same kind of question:
他們 不加思索 , 很快 的 就 說 : 「 知道 啊 ! 就 不爽 ( 台語 )。」
"How did you feel when you did this?"
我 繼續 問 :「 那要 怎麼樣 做 你 才 會 感覺 比較 好 一點 呢 ?」
They immediately responded, "I know. Pissed off!"
他 說 :「 知道 啊 !」 也 是 不加思索 。
Then I asked, "So what could you do to feel a little better?"
「 我 把 他 扁 一頓 就 好過 多 了 。」
They said, "I know!" right away.
( 笑聲 )
"I felt much better after beating them up."
相對 的 , 我們 的 大學生 ,
(Laughter)
當我在問 他們 , 你 有 什麼 感覺 ?
On the other hand, when I ask college students, "How do you feel?"
大學生 說 :「 我 不 知道 。」
( 笑聲 )
They say, "I don't know."
「 那要 怎麼樣 做 你 才 會 感覺 好 一點 呢 ?」
(Laughter)
「 不 知道 啊 ……」
"Then, what could you do to feel better?"
( 笑聲 )
"I don't know ..."
這樣 子 看來 , 監獄 裡面 的 受刑人 ,
(Laughter)
好像 真的 比 我們 的 大學生 , 在 情緒 的 辨識 跟 調控 方面 ,
So it would appear
都 要 好 了 很多 。
問題 是 出自於 你 如何 表達 你 的 情緒 。
所有 的 感受 都 是 OK 的 。
The problem is how you express your emotions.
但是 , 我 是 可以 生氣 , 但 不能 打人 。
All feelings are okay.
我們 教導 小學生 情緒 智商 , 這也 是 很 重要 的 一環 。
But even though it's okay to get angry, I shouldn't hit people.
如何 正確 辨識 你 的 情緒 ,
We taught elementary students about EQ, emotional quotient.
而 學習 正確 的 方式 將它 表達出來 。
How to correctly identify your emotions,
所有 的 感覺 都 是 OK 的 。
and the correct way of expressing them.
並 不是 所有 的 認知 都 是 正確 的 、 所有 的 行為 都 是 可以 接受 的 ,
但 所有 感覺 都 是 OK 的 。
That doesn't mean all perceptions are true or that all behaviors are acceptable,
雖然 , 所有 的 感覺 都 是 我們 主觀 的 感受 ,
but all feelings are okay.
還是 有 一些 , 我們 所謂 的 基本 情緒 ,
是 每 一個 人 , 經常性 都 會 擁有 的 。
there are a few fundamental emotions
這是 跨文化 的 。
that every person will frequently have.
今天 當你 在 面對 一個 ,
This goes across cultures.
跟 你 生活 背景 、 個性 、 甚至 語言 都 完全 不 一樣 的 人 的 時候 ,
Today, if you met someone
我們 還是 可以 在 他們 的 面部 表情 上 ,
with a completely different background, culture, or language,
正確 的 辨識 出 , 這 基本 的 六種 情緒 。
you'd still be able to correctly identify the six fundamental emotions
其他 的 情緒 , 可能 會 因為 文化 、 生長 背景 不同 而 有所 差異 。
through their facial expressions.
但是 基本 情緒 是 個人 、 每 一個 人 經常性 都 會 有 的 。
Other emotions can be hard to distinguish because of cultural differences,
每 一次 用 中文 講到 這邊 的 時候 ,
but everyone will frequently have these fundamental emotions.
就 會 聽到 有人 在 底下 竊竊私語 :
Every time I talk about this in Chinese,
喜 怒 愛 樂 。
I'll hear people whisper the phrase "Happiness, anger, sorrow, joy."
( 笑聲 )
喜跟樂 是 同一個 系統 的 。
(Laughter)
所以 因為 我們 會講 中文 , 可以 猜 到 三個 基本 情緒 。
Happiness and joy are the same thing!
其他 三個 呢 ?
驚訝 、 憤怒 、 噁心 。
What about the other three?
每 ㄧ 個人 , 經常性 , 都 會 經歷 這樣 的 情緒 。
Surprise. Fear. Disgust.
但是 , 所 經歷 的 程度 跟 表達 的 方式 ,
Everyone regularly experiences these emotions.
會 因人而異 。
But the intensity and outward expression of these emotions
也 會 因 情況 不同 而 有所不同 。
will vary from person to person, and also depending on the situation.
我 也 曾經 有個 同事 ,
他 是 兒童 心理學家 ,
I once had a colleague who was a developmental psychologist.
也 是 一個 很 典型 的 美國 人 。
講到 這個 他 就問 我 ,
He was also a very typical American.
欸 , 你 多久 哭 ㄧ 次 啊 ?
He once asked me, "Hey, how often do you cry?"
我 說 :
一年 , 一兩次 …… 也許 三次 。
I said, "One or two times a year.
他 說 :「 蛤 ?! 那超 不 健康 耶 !」
( 笑聲 )
He said, "Ah! That's so unhealthy!"
顯然 你們 不 這麼 覺得 對 不 對 。
(Laughter)
我 說 , 那 你 一年 哭 多少次 啊 ?
Obviously you don't think so, right?
他 說 :「 我 是 三天 一小 哭 、 五天 一 大哭 。」
I said, "So how many times do you cry in a year?"
( 笑聲 )
He said, "Three times I cry a little, and five times I cry a lot."
這樣 你 有 比較 健康 嗎 ?
(Laughter)
都 是 悲傷 , 並 不是 每 一個 人 , 每 一次 感受 到 悲傷 的 時候 ,
Is that healthier?
都 一定 會 流淚 、 甚至 大哭 。
Everyone gets sad, but that's not to say that whenever someone feels sad,
程度 跟 表達 的 方式 , 會 有所不同 。
they necessarily will cry.
我 剛剛 講到 , 這是 每 一個 人 , 經常性 都 會 有 的 。
The intensity and outward expression can differ.
你們 看到 這 六種 情緒 ,
能夠 回答 我 , 甚至 回答 你 自己 ,
Looking at these six emotions,
你 最近 一次 經歷 這個 情緒 , 是 什麼 時候 嗎 ?
can you tell me, or rather tell yourself,
如果 你 說 , 我記 不得了 ,
when was the last time you had them?
甚至 幾個 月 、 一年 都 沒有 了 ,
If you say, "I don't remember,"
那並 不 代表 你 沒有 經歷 它們 ,
or you haven't felt them for a few months or a year,
而是 代表 你 沒有 注意 到 它們 的 存在 。
that doesn't mean you haven't had them;
你 忽略 了 它們 的 存在 , 甚至 壓抑 或 轉移 了 它們 。
rather, it means you haven't noticed them.
我們 再 看到 了 這 六種 的 基本 情緒 ,
You ignored them,
其中 只有 一種 是 正向 的 , 就是 快樂 。
If we look once more at the six fundamental emotions,
驚訝 , 可好 可壞 。
only one of them is positive: happiness.
其他 的 四種 , 都 是 負面 的 情緒 。
Surprise can be good or bad.
沒有 人 喜歡 負面 的 情緒 。
The other four are all negative.
它 感覺不好 。
Nobody likes negative emotions.
但是 , 它們 確實 有 它們 存在 的 價值 , 跟 它們 的 必要性 。
They feel bad.
因為 它們 可以 預警 , 讓 我們 知道 ,
But they still have a reason for existence.
如果 你 再 不 做 一些 改變 , 可能 會 有 危險 啊 。
They can warn you and let you know
就 像 痛 的 感覺 一樣 ,
that if you don't make some changes, there could be danger.
沒有 人 喜歡 痛 。
但 今天 如果 不 小心 , 把 我 的 手 放在 熱爐 上面 ,
Nobody likes pain.
沒有 痛 的 感覺 , 我 就 不 知道 要 把手 抽 回來 。
But if I accidentally put my hand on top of a hot stove
很 可惜 的 是 , 在 現在 , 特別 是 已 開發 的 國家 。
and I didn't feel pain, I wouldn't know to withdraw my hand.
有 ㄧ 個 趨勢 , 大家 都 很 努力 的 抗拒 ,
Recently, there has been a worrying trend in developed countries:
經歷 這些 負面 的 感受 。
前一陣子 我 在 美國 , 走進 一家 藥妝店 。
那邊 的 藥妝店 就 有點像 臺灣 的 屈臣氏 。
不 只 賣 的 是藥 , 很多 生活 的 用品 都 在 那邊 賣 。
Their drugstores are a bit like Watsons here in Taiwan.
我 只是 進去 之後 , 就 忍不住 照 了 這張 照片 。
They don't just sell medicine there, but also many daily necessities.
( 笑聲 )
I couldn't help but take this picture when I was there.
一 整面 牆 , 上面 賣 的 都 是 止痛藥 , pain relief。
(Laughter)
我們 所謂 的 OTC, over the counter drugs,
There was an entire wall just selling pain killers, pain relief.
隨手 可得 的 成藥 。
What we call OTC, over the counter drugs, which are very easy to obtain.
在 成藥 的 銷售量 上面 , 在 過去 的 幾年 當中 ,
止痛藥 , 每 一年 都 是 第一名 。
If you look at sales data for OTC drugs, you'll see that for the past few years,
問題 來 了 , 然後 呢 ?
pain killers are always number one.
你 吃 了 止痛藥 之後 呢 ?
The question is, Now what?
問題 就 沒有 了 嗎 ?
After you've taken pain killers, will the problem just go away?
也許 , 但 也 有 可能 , 問題 會 變得 更 嚴重 。
就 像 痛 的 感覺 一樣 。
之前 我 在 做 緊急 救護 人員 ,
就是 在 救護車 上面 的 EMT, emergency medical technician。
I used to work as an EMT.
到 了 急救 現場 的 時候 ,
That is, working in an ambulance as an emergency medical technician.
不管 當事人 經歷 多大 的 痛苦 ,
When we got to the site of the emergency,
我們 也 不能 給他 任何 的 止痛藥 , 或是 麻醉藥 。
no matter how much pain someone was experiencing,
因為給 了 之後 , 沒有 痛 的 感覺 了 ,
可能 會 判斷 錯誤 。
If we did that, then they wouldn't feel pain anymore,
延遲 急救 , 甚 是 急救 錯誤 。
and we might make an error.
負面 的 感覺 也 是 一樣 的 。
We might delay giving first aid or make a misdiagnosis.
當你去 逃避 它 , 當你去 忽略 或 壓抑 它 的 時候 ,
Negative emotions are the same way.
問題 不見得 就 不見 了 。
If you try to escape from them by ignoring or suppressing them,
它 可能 累積 得 更 嚴重 。
最近 在 社會 新聞 上 常常 聽到 有些 人 ,
It might fester until it becomes more serious.
莫名其妙 的 就 爆發 了 ,
Recently in the news,
做出 一些 驚天動地 的 事情 。
you hear about people who explode without warning
很 可能 原因 之一 , 因為 他們 長期 的 壓抑 負面 情緒 給予 他們 的 警訊 。
and commit some unspeakable action.
其實 負面 情緒 很 重要 ,
One reason for this could be
是 會 被 留下來 , 它 是 不會 被 淘汰 掉 的 。
In fact, negative emotions are very important.
那 既然 我們 沒有 選擇 ,
It's here to stay and isn't going to be phased out.
是不是 可以 嘗試 用 一種 不同 的 角度 來看 它 呢 ?
Since we don't have a choice,
其實 它們 沒有 那麼 可怕 。
can we try to look at them from a different perspective?
或許 有 的 時候 , 可能 很 強烈 ,
They're actually not that scary.
但是 , 持久性 不高 。
There are times when they can be very intense,
曾經 有個 病人 跟 我講 :
but they don't last forever.
「 我 好 努力 喔 ! 我 壓抑 忍著 不 哭 。」
I once had a patient tell me, "I'm trying really hard not to cry!"
我 說 :「 為 什麼 啊 ?」
他 說 :「 因為 我 怕 我 一 哭 就 停不下來 了 。」
I asked, "Why?"
我 跟 他講 :
He said, "I'm afraid if I cry, I won't be able to stop."
「 不用 怕 ,
不 可能 。」
I said to him, "Don't worry.
( 笑聲 )
That's impossible."
請問 你 有沒有 聽過 或 認識 哪 一個 人 ,
(Laughter)
是 一旦 哭 起來 之後 , 就 一直 延續 哭 下去 沒有 止境 的 呢 ?
Have you ever known or heard of someone
情緒 , 不 持久 。
who started crying and never stopped?
這個 是 情緒 的 本質 。
Emotions don't last forever.
因此 , 沒有 永遠 的 快樂 , 也 沒有 永遠 的 悲傷 。
That's the nature of emotions.
其實 情緒 的 存在 ,
So while happiness won't last forever, neither will sadness.
也 可以 讓 我們 生活 中 一些 美好 的 事情 ,
Emotions make the finer things in life more clear and distinct.
變得 更 鮮明 。
試想 , 一個 從來 沒有 失去 過的 人 。
他 對於 「 擁有 」 這 兩個 字 的 體會 , 也 會 比較 有限 。
For example, someone who has never experienced loss
我們 與生俱來 , 有 這麼 多 不 一樣 的 情緒 。
will have a limited understanding of what it means to have something.
就 像 畫盤 中 的 色彩 一樣 ,
We innately have so many different kinds of emotions,
如果 我們 願意 去 多 用 一點 顏色 ,
just like the colors on an artist's palette.
用心 去 經歷 每 一種 感受 ,
If we use a little more color
或許 , 只是 或許 ,
and attentively experience each emotion,
我們 可以 創造 出 更 多采多姿 , 更 豐富 的 人生 。
maybe, just maybe,
謝謝 大家 。
we can create a more colorful, elegant, and enriching life.
( 掌聲 )
Thank you.